While watching the WPC I have come to the conclusion that pool is a tough sell on TV because it is too slow.
There is plenty of time for the announcers to speculate on how the player is going to play, why it's so hard/easy, the player's history, what they think the player is thinking, what the player's form has been, how the player has never missed a shot in fifteen year's until just a moment ago, talk about how tough tournament pool is, talk about themselves, tell pool stories, and plenty of other filler between shots. Between games there is enough time to show all the shots from the previous game in slow motion. The same game that we just agonized over for what seemed like five minutes between shots.
Basically it's a lot of waiting around for some critical shots that the announcers have to build up anyway. Pool is truly the hardcore fan's game.
I get totally bored watching the best players in the world. It's just not that engaging. Sure, there are moments but most of it is boring. I don't know what the answer is to make pool more exciting but I can tell you that Tennis and Golf are looking at what they can do to be more engaging as well.
Perhaps the filler should be less of the blah, blah commentary that is often not accurate and more of the characterization of the players with mini-bios and interviews, factoids, similar to the World Poker Tour broadcasts. Something that captures the attention more than just two minutes of speculation about what the player should do.
Like I said, a tough sell. And I am a willing customer.
There is plenty of time for the announcers to speculate on how the player is going to play, why it's so hard/easy, the player's history, what they think the player is thinking, what the player's form has been, how the player has never missed a shot in fifteen year's until just a moment ago, talk about how tough tournament pool is, talk about themselves, tell pool stories, and plenty of other filler between shots. Between games there is enough time to show all the shots from the previous game in slow motion. The same game that we just agonized over for what seemed like five minutes between shots.
Basically it's a lot of waiting around for some critical shots that the announcers have to build up anyway. Pool is truly the hardcore fan's game.
I get totally bored watching the best players in the world. It's just not that engaging. Sure, there are moments but most of it is boring. I don't know what the answer is to make pool more exciting but I can tell you that Tennis and Golf are looking at what they can do to be more engaging as well.
Perhaps the filler should be less of the blah, blah commentary that is often not accurate and more of the characterization of the players with mini-bios and interviews, factoids, similar to the World Poker Tour broadcasts. Something that captures the attention more than just two minutes of speculation about what the player should do.
Like I said, a tough sell. And I am a willing customer.