Why the dimple in a piece of chalk???

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Because of this thread: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=481652&page=3, it got me to thinking...if most people are brushing their chalk onto their tips (as many posters claim is the proper way) then why wouldn't the chalk manufacturing process just have the surface made flat?

I too brush my chalk on and simply have no need for the dimple. In fact, I have been known to sand the dimple out and cut a tad bit of paper off my chalk (until I started using a more expensive brand).

Does anybody think that it would be a good thing if the chalk companies offered both flat and dimpled chalk? Hey...let's get something going with this idea.

Maniac

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because of this thread: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=481652&page=3, it got me to thinking...if most people are brushing their chalk onto their tips (as many posters claim is the proper way) then why wouldn't the chalk manufacturing process just have the surface made flat?

I too brush my chalk on and simply have no need for the dimple. In fact, I have been known to sand the dimple out and cut a tad bit of paper off my chalk (until I started using a more expensive brand).

Does anybody think that it would be a good thing if the chalk companies offered both flat and dimpled chalk? Hey...let's get something going with this idea.

Maniac
remove paper and use bottom of chalk? maybe sand it off if it won’t peel off.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
remove paper and use bottom of chalk? maybe sand it off if it won’t peel off.
Pretty good idea, especially if you use a chalk holder. If not, I guess you'd have to put it down on its side (or face the chalkophobic wrath of your opponents).

Just brushing the top side across your tip will flatten the dimple out of it. There are cubes like that among the rest in the box on the counter at my local joint.

pj
chgo

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one who doesn’t have a problem brushing on the chalk WITH a dimple? I think we may officially be at the point where we are inventing problems.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
There isn't....

Thresher Starter L.jpg

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Am I the only one who doesn’t have a problem brushing on the chalk WITH a dimple? I think we may officially be at the point where we are inventing problems.

Well, I don't have any problems whatsoever. In fact, I use a piece of dimpled chalk every time I play.

That said, why shouldn't chalk manufacturers offer an undimpled chalk version to go along with the standard cubes? It could not possibly be hard/expensive to set up one of their pieces of machinery to make dimple-less chalk. Really...why not???

Maniac

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I don't have any problems whatsoever. In fact, I use a piece of dimpled chalk every time I play.

That said, why shouldn't chalk manufacturers offer an undimpled chalk version to go along with the standard cubes? It could not possibly be hard/expensive to set up one of their pieces of machinery to make dimple-less chalk. Really...why not???

Maniac

You maniac!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Has anybody given the actual answer yet? It's the most obvious one: the dimple is about the shape of a tip, so it can chalk the most surface at once.

pj <- also the drilling target answer
chgo

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Economics.

Do you have any idea how much chalk is conserved by leaving that cute dimple void in each and every cube?

Neither do I.