Why tournament blue?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the blue, when we changed the tables from green to blue in our community rooms almost everyone liked it.
Worst is black, I even played on a table with black bed and red rails very weird
I played on a Diamond bar table in Vegas that had black cloth and some sort of fluorescent balls and the light was a black light. Talk about some weird shit. On top of that, the table was beat to hell and sucked.

Geosnookery

It seems that most tv matches are played on tournament blue color cloth. Why is that your favorite to play on if it is and if it isn't, why do you prefer something else.
It seems that most tv matches are played on tournament blue color cloth. Why is that your favorite to play on if it is and if it isn't, why do you prefer something else?
Actualky 99% of viewers are watching tournaments played on green cloth. Snooker finals attract about 60 million viewers. Chinese 8 ball draws millions more. I’ve also never seen Russian Pyramid Matches on anything other than green cloth. There is The occasional black ball tournsment on blue cloth but mostly green.

My two tables have green cloth however I don’t really notice cloth colour if playing on another table. It can be variations of blue, tan or grey. All the same to me. Most colours are just personal choice. There’s only a couple colour cloths, like red or black, that might be a negative.

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever noticed that in almost every TV show that shows somebody playing pool in a bar the table has red cloth? What are they thinking?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Playing 9 ball, the only problem I've had with Tournament Blue is a couple of times I didn't notice the 4 ball was on the table. Anybody else?

289FIA

Nice set up!
Apple Green Simonis 860 for me. No more Tournament Blue. Powder Blue is good too. See the attached pics.
Was just looking at some Simonis color charts online .. Looked at Simonis Green (originally called by them 'yellow green' .. then became 'Tournament Green': English Green; Blue Green; Dark Green; and I had to hunt up a shot of Apple Green .. as it wasn't listed as one of the 28 colors currently offered in Simonis 860; and Tournament blue.

Hard to go by comparisons on a computer screen.. but the Simonis Green looked like the lightest shade of green (English Green and Dark Green were both very dark). Simonis green and T. Blue looked pretty close with maybe a slight edge going to the T Blue as being a tad lighter. Wish I could show a shot of my new Diamond furniture model with Simonis Green .. but we had some construction delays on our addition and the table set up was pushed back to March 3. Will post some shots once we are set up. Obviously, cannot wait.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you!

I like the apple green

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I’m thinking of trying the apple green, but I’m a bit worried if it’s going to be too bright/intense, considering our LED lighting. Simonis sent me a 12”x12” sample, but it’s still hard to visualize 1 square foot as opposed to 10 nine foot tables of nearly 40 square feet each.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
The biggest issue with tan/camel cloth in a pool room is too many people with their own personal blue chalk use it on the tan/camel cloth. The blue chalk marks look awful in no time, and are very hard to remove. Otherwise, it may have been my favorite color to play on.
Have it at home. It better be my favorite! Lol

289FIA

I’m thinking of trying the apple green, but I’m a bit worried if it’s going to be too bright/intense, considering our LED lighting. Simonis sent me a 12”x12” sample, but it’s still hard to visualize 1 square foot as opposed to 10 nine foot tables of nearly 40 square feet each.

Been looking at different Simonis color charts on the internet .. doesn't appear any more "bright / intense" than the tournament blue .. just a different color. A very clear contrasting green that is "bright" could be a great thing .. traditional green with easier / clearer ball recognition. Best of both worlds. Maybe do two tables to evaluate .. then the rest?

mrpiper

Registered
For my home table I prefer the Tan, or Camel, because matching chalk is also the same color as the carpet. That way, over the years, the carpet doesn't begin to develop a blue tone around the table. Blue chalk, even if you vacuum every time you play, and shampoo the carpet regularly, eventually colors the carpet irreversibly.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy of mine installed Blue / Green Simonis 860 and I really like it. Very nice on the eyes. But Tournament Blue is still my Fav

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Because my last two were green and it looks great.
a2ffd27b91ed6c028e67a2dfd187a104.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
620b1d3432735789febfcf0c753f949b.jpg

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was just looking at some Simonis color charts online .. Looked at Simonis Green (originally called by them 'yellow green' .. then became 'Tournament Green': English Green; Blue Green; Dark Green; and I had to hunt up a shot of Apple Green .. as it wasn't listed as one of the 28 colors currently offered in Simonis 860; and Tournament blue.

Hard to go by comparisons on a computer screen.. but the Simonis Green looked like the lightest shade of green (English Green and Dark Green were both very dark). Simonis green and T. Blue looked pretty close with maybe a slight edge going to the T Blue as being a tad lighter. Wish I could show a shot of my new Diamond furniture model with Simonis Green .. but we had some construction delays on our addition and the table set up was pushed back to March 3. Will post some shots once we are set up. Obviously, cannot wait.
If I may sir...a lot of us here are gear heads as well as pool guys....

"289FIA" Gotta be something Ford Powered, fast and fun! Yes? Care to share details??

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The apple green is offered in 860, but not 860HR which is only available in a few colors. I don’t know why it’s not shown / listed on their website, but they did send me a sample.

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
Trying to find a 9-foot table in a public room in Utah is tough. I heard that the University of Utah Student Union had a couple so I checked it out. Unfortunately, their school colors are red and white. I lasted about 20 minutes before my eyes begged for mercy. Almost as bad as the old, and now-closed, Pinky's in Colorado Springs. Their name says it all
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_952.jpg