Women At The US Opem...maybe

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark...While I agree with you that the "powers that be" at Corporate APA have always been "small-minded" (even when I was an L.O. '91-'94), the league and league operators don't harbor the same 'indifference' or hostility to the BCA, BCAPL, or you personally. I found out today, after speaking with a former APA L.O. here in MI, that after I left, the league operators formed their own association, hired their own lawyers, and made sure that corporate APA could not dictate to them on a local level. The APA league has it's place, and it is different than the BCAPL or CSI, but overall the league is not bad for pool. It is certainly a shame that APA corporate would dictate that Jeanette can not play in the 10-ball event during the May nationals. See you in May, unless you're going to be in VF in two weeks.:grin-square:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I will state the I have heard that Jeanette Lee will NOT be there - I believe the APA will not allow her to compete in any venue where there is BCAPL presence. (Even though this is a CSI event).

Only the APA can think this small. (I keep bringing this up to show people that the APA is NOT for pool - they are only for themselves!) This is in response to them 'blackmailing' the vote for the new WPBA board.

If you have any questions or comments, contact markg@playcsipool.com or 702-719-7665.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI
BCAPL - USAPL- NCS

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
That completely failed to answer the question, but I will address this part anyways. I DID acknowledge that women are discriminated against. YOU failed at reading and keep asserting that reverse discrimination is a valid answer to discrimination. IT IS NOT.

So should professional players be allowed to play in Junior events? You are basically saying that no group is allowed to have it's own divisions based on gender so why not age? Why not allow Johhny Archer the chance to compete for a scholarship?

When you are in a group that IS being discriminated against BY THE MAJORITY then you have every right to form your own support organization. Or perhaps you just believe in some grand benevolence? Do you HONESTLY think that if the WPBA were disbanded today that Barry would suddenly decide to allow women to play?

Discrimination by a minority group who is disenfranchised is called EMPOWERMENT - this is how the MINORITY gets to have a seat at the table and a voice.

When and IF the day comes when the minority is truly treated equally then the minority members themselves will no longer need or support their own segregated support groups.

I never said they are treated equally, you assumed that I did. I contend that in order for women to become truly equal, they have to give up some of the priveleges that they gain from being treated unequally. People like you on the other hand would like them to be treated BETTER than men. That is not right.

How are they treated BETTER than men? They are relegated to the monor leagues with NO CHANCE to play in the big leagues unless according to YOU they give up their support structure which is NOT PRESENT in equal amounts for them now. I fail to see how you can tell me that Allison Fisher is treated better when she has to BEG for a spot in the US Open and is being told that if she wants it then she has to give up the ONLY organized income available to her. The dots you are attempting to connect make no sense. There are segregated tours all over the USA and the world and still NO ONE and I mean NO ONE says a word about any MAN who puts up $600 to play in the US Open. NO one tells that man that he has to give up playing in his B-tournaments, or his Taiwanese pool tour (only open to Taiwan citizens). No, not you not anyone is trying to tell the MEN that they have to give something up (besides $600) in order to have a spot in the US Open.

That's where this totally stupid argument comes from. You say you can't stand it when the women have their own tour and be allowed to play in the US Open yet you could care less if SOME men also have their own tour that not everyone can play in and yet still get to play.

The US Open is ONE EVENT. It's not a tour. It's one single event that has ZERO to do with any other event or tour.

Okay, you contend that...Now back it up with an argument not filled with double standards or logical fallacies.

I have multiple times.

It's not a barrier. The men don't have an opportunity to join the WPBA, so a woman giving up the right to play in the WPBA is not a barrier. It might hurt their income, but if they had a penis, or were treated equally, they wouldn't have had that income in the first place.

Of course it's a barrier because you are making participation for WOMEN in the US Open contingent on giving up participation in something else while at the same time not making that same condition for the men. The ONLY criteria for a woman to play in the US OPEN should be if she gets her entry fee in on time.

Like I said before, but you probably failed to read, in the extremely rare event that they do not do well in mens pool after the open, they should be able to return after a certain amount of time. I don't think anybody would complain about that.

Why would anyone complain anyway? How much time, what level of success, again you are trying miserably to read too much into ONE EVENT.

The US Open is one single event that is not tied to any tour. Any Joe Blow can enter without fading all sorts of stipulations on their status and their future but you want to have the women's organization take away the right for any Jane Doe to play simply because they do well in ONE SINGLE EVENT??? And you accuse me of not thinking logically?

There was a WPBA US Open last year. I don't know about this year because it seems to be a spartan scheduel for the WPBA, but they do usually have opens.

They have a tournament where most of the spots are filled by invitation and a FEW spots in a limited field are filled with winners of qualifiers. So it's semi-open. It's still not a bad way to go though and if the US Open were to do the same thing then they could easily fill a 256 PERSON board every year imo.

They are sometimes allowed into men's events when there is no equivalent women's event. US Open 10 ball for example. For men's invitational events, I think it would be more fair to invite players based on skill. The women are not currently at a level where they would have enough skill to be a good candidate for say the Mosconi Cup.

Sometimes "allowed". That statement right there is the heart of the whole thing.

The women are not at a skill level where they could compete on the Mosconi Cup? Are you out to lunch? You are saying that there are no women who could reasonably beat ANY, let me repeat that, ANY male player on planet Earth in any single race to five?

I guess you missed the time when Loree Jon Jones - who doesn't even compete anymore - beat Thorsten Hohmann by putting a five pack on him in 8 ball.

Karen Corr has won a few time on the Joss Tour against Mika Immonen and Jim Rempe in the finals. She regularly finishes high in those events against tough fields.

Why should a 30+ year old event change its name for something petty like that?[/QUOTE]

Because it's obviously not petty or you wouldn't be so vehemently against it. It's not truly OPEN unless all humans are allowed to play. Otherwise it should be titled to reflect the discriminatory nature of the event. MEN'S US OPEN does that nicely and clearly.

I am really glad that Greg Sullivan and Mark Griffin are much more enlightened on this subject.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Mark...While I agree with you that the "powers that be" at Corporate APA have always been "small-minded" (even when I was an L.O. '91-'94), the league and league operators don't harbor the same 'indifference' or hostility to the BCA, BCAPL, or you personally. I found out today, after speaking with a former APA L.O. here in MI, that after I left, the league operators formed their own association, hired their own lawyers, and made sure that corporate APA could not dictate to them on a local level. The APA league has it's place, and it is different than the BCAPL or CSI, but overall the league is not bad for pool. It is certainly a shame that APA corporate would dictate that Jeanette can not play in the 10-ball event during the May nationals. See you in May, unless you're going to be in VF in two weeks.:grin-square:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I wonder if the APA is going to pay Jeannete Lee extra money to make up for the potential income she might make by playing.

How stupid is it to restrict the most visible player from attending an event.

I mean there is definitely an UPSIDE to having Jeannete Lee there proudly wearing her APA patch. If I were the APA I bring in a famous designer to design a new wardrobe with APA all over it just for Jeanette to wear.

I can't stand pool politics.

QueenB

Andonteven think about it
Silver Member
My Opinion

Here is my problem in this matter:

The WPBA US Open is not really a US open because you have to be in the WPBA to play in it which is only 64 girls. The other hundreds or thousands of other female pool players can not play in it, like myself. We can't play in the Men's US open either. So which US open can we play in?

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
So should professional players be allowed to play in Junior events? You are basically saying that no group is allowed to have it's own divisions based on gender so why not age? Why not allow Johhny Archer the chance to compete for a scholarship?

Like I said before, women's and juniors tournaments and the like are a handicap. There is justification to have them when you look at it on a purely skill level manner. You are the one who keeps saying that I said "no group is allowed to have it's own divisions based on gender" I never said that. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.
When you are in a group that IS being discriminated against BY THE MAJORITY then you have every right to form your own support organization. Or perhaps you just believe in some grand benevolence? Do you HONESTLY think that if the WPBA were disbanded today that Barry would suddenly decide to allow women to play?

Actually, it is fairly likely that he would. Maybe not this year because switches do take some time, getting all the details sorted out takes time, but probably the next year as it is already on the table.

Discrimination by a minority group who is disenfranchised is called EMPOWERMENT - this is how the MINORITY gets to have a seat at the table and a voice.

Maybe if you are Jesse Jackson it is called empowerment, but that doesn't make it right. Reverse discrimination is still discrimination and is still wrong. Affirmative action is wrong. Making one wrong to right another is WRONG. One group gaining advantages over another group due to anything based on race, gender, and to a lesser extent age, is WRONG.

When and IF the day comes when the minority is truly treated equally then the minority members themselves will no longer need or support their own segregated support groups.

The only way they will ever be treated as equals is if they treat themselves as equals first.

How are they treated BETTER than men? They are relegated to the monor leagues with NO CHANCE to play in the big leagues unless according to YOU they give up their support structure which is NOT PRESENT in equal amounts for them now.

I don't know what this great support structure for the male pros you are talking about is...Male pros basically have nothing to themselves but the open and a few small events. The women have MUCH more for only women. Considering their skill level, they are treated MUCH better than men. How many short stops or low level pros have a realistic chance at all at a US Open title? There are probably 10 female shortstop to low level pros that have a realistic chance at their US Open title.

I fail to see how you can tell me that Allison Fisher is treated better when she has to BEG for a spot in the US Open and is being told that if she wants it then she has to give up the ONLY organized income available to her.

First of all she doesn't have that opportunity, this is only hypothetical. Second of all, to be treated as an equal you have to play with everyone else. If they want to stay in the WPBA, they don't want to be treated as equals and thus should not be treated as such.

The dots you are attempting to connect make no sense. There are segregated tours all over the USA and the world and still NO ONE and I mean NO ONE says a word about any MAN who puts up $600 to play in the US Open. NO one tells that man that he has to give up playing in his B-tournaments, or his Taiwanese pool tour (only open to Taiwan citizens). No, not you not anyone is trying to tell the MEN that they have to give something up (besides $600) in order to have a spot in the US Open.

What segregated tours are you talking about? The only major one that I am aware of is the WPBA.

Your argument makes no sense, but you are severely biased, so that is to be expected. What would one say about a man putting up money to play in the men's US Open? I am suggesting that the women give up their benefits that they recieve soley because they have no penis. The would men forfiet this priveldge when they are born, the women, if what I am suggesting is implemented, at least have a choice. In this situation women as individuals would have the choice to be either equal or unequal. Equal as in they compete and are rewarded exactly the same as men. Unequal as in . People such as yourself only hold minorities back from the ultimate goal of equality by trying to give one group benefits over another.

That's where this totally stupid argument comes from. You say you can't stand it when the women have their own tour and be allowed to play in the US Open yet you could care less if SOME men also have their own tour that not everyone can play in and yet still get to play.

The US Open is ONE EVENT. It's not a tour. It's one single event that has ZERO to do with any other event or tour.

Wait, what? What men's tour are you talking about? The US Open is the only major non-invitational event in the US as far as I know. If there was a tour, it would be wrong for a women to play in both when the men also can't play in both. What's so stupid about this argument? Is it stupid that I would rather strive for true equality than be a hypocrite in some areas like what you are suggesting?

I have multiple times.

Where? Your argument that you are striving for equality, but women should be allowed into men's events while barring men from women's events is extremely hypocritical in itself. There is no way to logically support a hypocritical argument.

Of course it's a barrier because you are making participation for WOMEN in the US Open contingent on giving up participation in something else while at the same time not making that same condition for the men. The ONLY criteria for a woman to play in the US OPEN should be if she gets her entry fee in on time.

The men also play under the condition that they can't play in the WPBA. The unfair thing for them is that they wouldn't have a choice, but that is inevitable.

Why would anyone complain anyway? How much time, what level of success, again you are trying miserably to read too much into ONE EVENT.

The US Open is one single event that is not tied to any tour. Any Joe Blow can enter without fading all sorts of stipulations on their status and their future but you want to have the women's organization take away the right for any Jane Doe to play simply because they do well in ONE SINGLE EVENT??? And you accuse me of not thinking logically?

I've debunked this argument 3 or 4 times already, you can go reread my previous posts if you want a counter-argument.

They have a tournament where most of the spots are filled by invitation and a FEW spots in a limited field are filled with winners of qualifiers. So it's semi-open. It's still not a bad way to go though and if the US Open were to do the same thing then they could easily fill a 256 PERSON board every year imo.

In that case, under your reasoning, they should change the name to "The WPBA Semi-Open If You Are Not a Man

Sometimes "allowed". That statement right there is the heart of the whole thing.

I used sometimes because they are allowed in under the condition that there is no women's equivalent. If you want you can name a open men's only event that doesn't have a women's equivalent, but I will only agree with you that it is wrong.

The women are not at a skill level where they could compete on the Mosconi Cup? Are you out to lunch? You are saying that there are no women who could reasonably beat ANY, let me repeat that, ANY male player on planet Earth in any single race to five?

Reasonably? When does being reasonable have to do with putting players on the Mosconi Cup? We want the best chances of winning, not a 30% chance or what ever chance the best American woman would have. Take last years team members, now tell me one woman that would win the MAJORITY of the time against any of them. That is the criteria for the Mosconi Cup we want the BEST team (provided they have good sportsmanship, of course).

I guess you missed the time when Loree Jon Jones - who doesn't even compete anymore - beat Thorsten Hohmann by putting a five pack on him in 8 ball.

Don't let a low odds occurance fool you, nobody on earth would bet a significant amount of money on Loree over Thorsten. If you want, I'll bet you $500 that Thorsten wins the next time they play.

Karen Corr has won a few time on the Joss Tour against Mika Immonen and Jim Rempe in the finals. She regularly finishes high in those events against tough fields.

See previous argument. I have hit a flush on the river to beat out a straight many times. Is it something to count on? No, it isn't.

Because it's obviously not petty or you wouldn't be so vehemently against it. It's not truly OPEN unless all humans are allowed to play. Otherwise it should be titled to reflect the discriminatory nature of the event. MEN'S US OPEN does that nicely and clearly.

Semantics are petty, whether you admit it or not. The US Open name is traditional, changing it because of semantics is petty

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Like I said before, women's and juniors tournaments and the like are a handicap. There is justification to have them when you look at it on a purely skill level manner. You are the one who keeps saying that I said "no group is allowed to have it's own divisions based on gender" I never said that. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Then what are you saying? I hear you saying that the "women" can't have it both ways yet many other groups of pool players do have it both ways and you aren't saying that they should give up their segregated tours and events in return for being "allowed" to play in the US Open.

Actually, it is fairly likely that he would. Maybe not this year because switches do take some time, getting all the details sorted out takes time, but probably the next year as it is already on the table.

Details? All he has to do for women to play THIS YEAR is to simply say women can play. There are no details, no locker rooms have to reconfigured, congress doesn't need to pass a law.

Maybe if you are Jesse Jackson it is called empowerment, but that doesn't make it right. Reverse discrimination is still discrimination and is still wrong. Affirmative action is wrong. Making one wrong to right another is WRONG. One group gaining advantages over another group due to anything based on race, gender, and to a lesser extent age, is WRONG.

So you call a support group gaining an advantage? Blacks, Hispanics, AND Women still earn less than White Men in comparable jobs. Racism and Discrimination is still practiced every day in the USA. So according to you these people who have only had equal rights under the law for less than 100 years and who still don't receive equal treatment should not be allowed to support one another and form groups to continue the fight for equal treatment?

Affirmative action may be wrong but that's not what we are talking about here, at least not what I am talking about. I am talking about the fact that in 2010 women are treated like second class citizens by tournament promoters, and specifically by Barry Behrman. Hopefully he will correct it sometime in the future although he could start today.

The only way they will ever be treated as equals is if they treat themselves as equals first.

Yeah right. Check the stats on disparity in salaries between men and women who do the same job and get back to me.

I don't know what this great support structure for the male pros you are talking about is...Male pros basically have nothing to themselves but the open and a few small events.

It's obvious that you don't get it. The support structure is the WAY a man is treated in the pool room vs how a woman is treated. How a man is coached vs. how a woman is coached. The way a man receives encouragement and backing and a woman is still looked at with disdain if she dares to try and compete.

The women have MUCH more for only women. Considering their skill level, they are treated MUCH better than men.

They are 'treated' - who is doing the treating? The women formed their own tour on their own. They are down to two tournaments and the Classic tour has always been on shaky ground at that. Most of the women on the tour are in the red by participating on the tour. They either don't or barely make expenses when they go to events. The ONLY women only THING that they have is their tour.

How many short stops or low level pros have a realistic chance at all at a US Open title? There are probably 10 female shortstop to low level pros that have a realistic chance at their US Open title.

And the point here is what? The bulk of the entrants at the US Open have no realistic shot at the title. But, as a man the stock boy at the local Office Depot can at least try while Kelly Fisher cannot.

First of all she doesn't have that opportunity, this is only hypothetical. Second of all, to be treated as an equal you have to play with everyone else. If they want to stay in the WPBA, they don't want to be treated as equals and thus should not be treated as such.

All right, for the sake of moving this along - what about Sha Sha Liu, the 16 year old girl from China or Katjitani from Japan or Rubilen Amit? They aren't part of the WPBA - should they be barred from the US Open? Or why can't I go to the Office Depot and pick a woman and pay her entry into the US open just as I could for her male colleague.

I will give you the WPBA - so now what do you have to say to the other 3 billion women on Earth?

What segregated tours are you talking about? The only major one that I am aware of is the WPBA.

The Tri State Tour, The Taiwanese Pro Tour, All Junior Events, Handicapped Events,

Your argument makes no sense, but you are severely biased, so that is to be expected. What would one say about a man putting up money to play in the men's US Open? I am suggesting that the women give up their benefits that they recieve soley because they have no penis. The would men forfiet this priveldge when they are born, the women, if what I am suggesting is implemented, at least have a choice. In this situation women as individuals would have the choice to be either equal or unequal. Equal as in they compete and are rewarded exactly the same as men. Unequal as in . People such as yourself only hold minorities back from the ultimate goal of equality by trying to give one group benefits over another.

Please see the statement above where I give you the WPBA. What about the REST of the women in the world? Women don't have any "benefits" solely because they have no penis. Oh I see you are counting a B-league tour made of a minority group as a privilege because the top players aren't allowed to rob it? Bet you feel the same way about the c-player only tournaments at the local poolroom too.

Wait, what? What men's tour are you talking about? The US Open is the only major non-invitational event in the US as far as I know. If there was a tour, it would be wrong for a women to play in both when the men also can't play in both. What's so stupid about this argument? Is it stupid that I would rather strive for true equality than be a hypocrite in some areas like what you are suggesting?

In both? What do you mean in BOTH. There is no both, one is the WPBA US Open and the other is the US Open. Two different events. You're not striving for true equality. True equality is when BARRY says MY EVENT is truly OPEN. Whatever the women do is on them and their participation in the US Open shouldn't be contingent on what the WPBA does.

Where? Your argument that you are striving for equality, but women should be allowed into men's events while barring men from women's events is extremely hypocritical in itself.

Um, again we come back around to the fact that there are many segregated tournaments and tours in the world. And ALL of them in the USA are filled with players who are LESS SKILLED on average than the male professionals. So what you are saying is abolish all these groups and if you want to be really "equal" then you just need to be willing to go head to head with the best all the time.

There is no way to logically support a hypocritical argument.

And there is no way to get a person who is blind to the reality to understand why things can't work according to their utopian ideals.

The men also play under the condition that they can't play in the WPBA. The unfair thing for them is that they wouldn't have a choice, but that is inevitable.

Wow, you are just getting silly here. I highly doubt that they play under any such condition at all.

I've debunked this argument 3 or 4 times already, you can go reread my previous posts if you want a counter-argument.

Sorry can't follow all the quotes. You thinking you debunked something and actually doing it are two different things.

In that case, under your reasoning, they should change the name to "The WPBA Semi-Open If You Are Not a Man

Again with the silliness.

I used sometimes because they are allowed in under the condition that there is no women's equivalent. If you want you can name a open men's only event that doesn't have a women's equivalent, but I will only agree with you that it is wrong.

Yes, that's the WPBA rule but it's also flawed. The fact of the matter is that until there are equal numbers of women playing then women will always be weaker players ON AVERAGE - so for that reason they should be allowed to have their league but also be allowed to play with the BEST whenever there is an event.

Reasonably? When does being reasonable have to do with putting players on the Mosconi Cup? We want the best chances of winning, not a 30% chance or what ever chance the best American woman would have. Take last years team members, now tell me one woman that would win the MAJORITY of the time against any of them. That is the criteria for the Mosconi Cup we want the BEST team (provided they have good sportsmanship, of course).

You're hilarious. The Mosconi Cup is a made for TV event with short races and ALL the participants are there at the whim of the promoter. I am sure if Barry Hearn thought that it would make for better TV then he would add some women to the team. And he might do so. Why don't we flip this and you tell me any member of the Mosconi cup teams that will win a MAJORITY of their race to five matches against any other member?

Plus I don't even really get why you are bring this into the discussion of whether women should be allowed to play in the US Open or not?
What does the Mosconi Cup have to do with whether women are allowed to play in Barry's US Open???

Don't let a low odds occurance fool you, nobody on earth would bet a significant amount of money on Loree over Thorsten. If you want, I'll bet you $500 that Thorsten wins the next time they play.

Yeah, ok. You're right the women suck. So we have established that they are no threat to the men. So what's the reason again that they can't play in the US Open? Oh I remember it's because they have their own girls league and it's "unfair". Again what about all the women who don't participate in that league? Why can't they play again? Because they have boobies and not johnsons......I get it.

See previous argument. I have hit a flush on the river to beat out a straight many times. Is it something to count on? No, it isn't.

You're right. However the World Series of Poker is open to ANYONE with $10,000, even though they have women only tournaments as well.

Semantics are petty, whether you admit it or not. The US Open name is traditional, changing it because of semantics is petty

So if a person came to the US Open for the first time and said why is Allison Fisher not playing then it would have to be explained to them that the promoter doesn't allow women. However if the title were Men's US Open then it would be printed on the ticket and no explanation would be needed.

It's not semantics, it's clarity.

And it's still a travesty that in 2010 women are not "allowed" to play in the United States Open 9 Ball Championship just simply because they were born the wrong sex.

Last edited:

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Everyone is bringing up good points on both sides about both US Open events. In reality, I don't think the women care if they ever play in Barry's U.S. Open. I know I don't. So I'm not suprised to see hear that in Mark's discussions that the WPBA wasn't interested.

My ONLY real problem with this has to do with personal experiences in discussions about this.

Last year at Valley Forge, Borana, Gail and I were doing challenge matches at the Poison booth and Barry saw Borana shooting. He was obviously interested because she's beautiful and he came to talk to me about it. He went on to tell me that I should try to convince Poison to bring us to the U.S. Open the next year and have them have a booth there.

At the time I didn't know that women weren't allowed. So I replied with something saying that I wasn't sure if the girls would want to play in it but that I would mention it to the Poison reps. He went on to explain that he didn't want us there to play. Then he (very condescendingly) said that he would put a table out in the hallway so the guys could enjoy us.

Barry is all about the "eye candy" aspect that females can bring to his event...just not to play in the event. My reply to him was basically saying that a good number of Poison player reps are women. And I would not encourage my sponsors to support an event that would not allow me to play in it and would only want me to be there eye candy for the men. We went on to discuss it a bit further but the entire conversation basically disgusted me.

This is just one of many disrespectful encounters I have had with him so I would never play in this event, even if women are able to play at some point. So my arguement is more based on the attitude of why we aren't allowed, not the simple fact that we just aren't allowed.

eye candy
that is a funny story i thought char williams was the one for that.
i dont know if the women should be able to play hmmmmmmmmmm i cant make up my mind not sure.

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
If the women are allowed to play and Karen Corr is there, ill bet she wins at least 3 matches.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen John...One thing about Mark Griffin...he doesn't let politics dictate the good things he does for our sport. Too bad Corporate APA does. Sure seems silly not to have Jeanette playing.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I wonder if the APA is going to pay Jeannete Lee extra money to make up for the potential income she might make by playing.

How stupid is it to restrict the most visible player from attending an event.

I mean there is definitely an UPSIDE to having Jeannete Lee there proudly wearing her APA patch. If I were the APA I bring in a famous designer to design a new wardrobe with APA all over it just for Jeanette to wear.

I can't stand pool politics.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An "Open" tournament should be open. Period. Yes it is simple huh?

You definitelly didnt get my point. :) I just pointed out that the logic wasnt just right in your statement. But if you insist: WHY should it be open? Because of the name "US Open"??? By this same logic you should allow Roger Federer to play Serena Williams in US Open . Because "Open" tournament should be open..right??? :D