Won my first $6000 in the middle, AMA

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally don't like the term in the middle. Someone started it a while back to make it sound like there was more being bet than there actually was. "6K in the middle" just say "we played for 3k"
Well a stronger than me player once taught me that once you post up that money is gone. So you’re really playing for who walks away with what’s in the middle and have to play accordingly. I know what you mean though.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The money in the middle sounds impressive to those that don't know better. I think it started out mostly as a promotor's gimmick. Now it is just one more way of stating the bet. I think we all translate it to the way we prefer.

Hu

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walked away with 6K on Friday, it was a rematch. The 1st set was for 1k in the middle, I won that one hill hill. Not everybody here played for that much, thought I’d share in case anyone is curious or has questions comments.

*My biggest fear was that I was gonna get too sleepy ( match was scheduled for 9p we finished at 5am ). That ended up not being a factor at all, I was wide awake the entire match ( but the next day I was beyond exhausted.)

**The organizers handed me the cash at the end, I didn’t wanna count in front of all the sketchy railbirds there, I just put it in the pocket and split ( 6K easily fits in a pocket all hundreds ). The drive home was uncomfortable cause I was afraid it wasnt all there but ended up all there.

*We played for 7 hrs straight no food breaks. I drank a ton of water, he had a beer I think.

* He was in a bad game and was really not having a good time, it was painful to watch.

* I’m nowhere near pro speed but I knew I was stronger than him, I move much better, better cue ball, but our stroke is prob similar mine might be a tiny bit better. I didn’t think I had a chance of losing but it got almost close at one point. I was expecting to win 14-3 or 14-4 but I won 14-10. Closed out 4-1.

* The hardest part was staying focused for that long nonstop. Any time I took a shot for granted I lost that rack.

I dont wanna reveal identities but any questions just ask. This was my 1st time ever playing for that much.

I'm from the IRS, I have a few forms for you to fill out :eek:

Nice job!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 Gs in the middle equals $3,000 each.
$6k in the middle sounds more impressive than $3k. The only part of $6k that is accurate is that if you’re backing yourself 100%, you are $6k better off by winning the match than you would have been if you’d lost the match.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
$6k in the middle sounds more impressive than $3k. The only part of $6k that is accurate is that if you’re backing yourself 100%, you are $6k better off by winning the match than you would have been if you’d lost the match.
That crap started decades ago....guy would say he’s playing for $100 when he was betting $50.
...I used to give them the stink eye.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm from the IRS, I have a few forms for you to fill out :eek:

Nice job!

I had a friend that was tight with the IRS. So tight that an agent sat beside his checkout counter and helped him handle the cash from open to close for three weeks. Only charged him 100% for this service!

Hu

8intheside

8-ball lol. I don’t care if it’s embarrassing I didn’t wanna take chances cause he can shoot. Basically the first set a month ago I played super aggressive and almost lost. I noticed towards the end that he doesn’t move well. That’s why I was willing to bet high. Create clusters on the break then just move and move till there’s an out or I get ball in hand. He shot super slow. I remember feeling bored at times but tried to stay focused. It worked.
why should you feel embarrassed? 8 ball is a challenging game!

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good work!

IMO the house got about twice what they should have.
I personally thought the 10% was fair cause they saved me a parking spot upfront, anytime I wanted water someone ran and grabbed a bottle right away.. But I know plenty of stronger players who’ll never play there cause of the 10%.

JC

Coos Cues
I personally thought the 10% was fair cause they saved me a parking spot upfront, anytime I wanted water someone ran and grabbed a bottle right away.. But I know plenty of stronger players who’ll never play there cause of the 10%.
For $200 you could have had a valet and man Friday for water service for your 8 hr. session.

Tell me that at least covered the green fees?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For $200 you could have had a valet and man Friday for water service for your 8 hr. session.

Tell me that at least covered the green fees?
Lol yes. They stream, promote, hold the cash, help set up action, etc. Think like Roy’s Basement but not just for pros and less views. No idea how much Roy takes but I bet it’s at least 10% from each side. A bigger issue I had- a “friend” wanted to back me, I turned him down cause I felt like I couldn’t lose and also I didn’t want additional pressure. I rather lose my own 3k than someone else’s 500. Well, turns out he got REALLY upset I turned him down. Yelling and everything. Oh well.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
A bigger issue I had- a “friend” wanted to back me, I turned him down cause I felt like I couldn’t lose and also I didn’t want additional pressure. I rather lose my own 3k than someone else’s 500. Well, turns out he got REALLY upset I turned him down. Yelling and everything. Oh well.
Unless you have been going to this same friend to back you for all of your real your tough matches, or unless you had some kind of backing arrangement with him that you were breaking, nobody is entitled to any piece of your action. I'd have told him to pound sand and probably not so nicely at that. What an entitled POS, tells me a lot about him.

JC

Coos Cues
Lol yes. They stream, promote, hold the cash, help set up action, etc. Think like Roy’s Basement but not just for pros and less views. No idea how much Roy takes but I bet it’s at least 10% from each side. A bigger issue I had- a “friend” wanted to back me, I turned him down cause I felt like I couldn’t lose and also I didn’t want additional pressure. I rather lose my own 3k than someone else’s 500. Well, turns out he got REALLY upset I turned him down. Yelling and everything. Oh well.
So let's see the stream already

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
The money in the middle sounds impressive to those that don't know better. I think it started out mostly as a promotor's gimmick. Now it is just one more way of stating the bet. I think we all translate it to the way we prefer.

Hu
Personally I think that it's a dishonest attempt to make the bet seem more than it is....With $6K "in the middle"..no one wins or loses $6K....Cheap marketing trick.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Fatboy Approved

Fatboy<——-wishing that was my original line, seem like it was in a movie or something 😉 No truer words have been spoken……if ya got hustling in your blood. If you trade hours for dollars, might not be as meaningful. I know what that means to me.💪