Wood or carbon?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure what a vantage shaft weighs, but what I've seen of kielwood shaft weight has deterred me from pursuing one
I thought the torrefaction process produces a lighter product- wondering how they can be heavier, and how heavy?
they are lighter at 29". you need to longer to get your BP back.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Radial consistency is BS marketing.
Most pros are paid to use products
There is not a huge production maker for kielwood shafts. They also cost a lot more to make than carbon fiber shafts .
Are you sure? You mean Predator is trying to fool little ol' me?
Lol.
Anyways, you seem pretty convinced torrified shafts are the best-est shafts ever, so use them.
I really don't care what anybody else shoots with.
I just give my experiences coming from 35+ years of maple to Vantage to Revo, and finally settling on the Vantage.
Ever heard of Ralf Souquet? He recently switched to Vantage after decades shooting with 314s.
Thomas Hohmann, Carlo Biado, etc. Guys that have been around. World champs.
But we're all different, stick with your torrified shafts if you like them! I'm not trying to sell anything.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I'm not as knowledgeable as Joey, and never will be, I have a few wood shafts. Some McDermotts in solid wood and Gcore versions, Four Schon solids, Brunswick solids, one Joss solid, DZ solid, and 4 Jacoby Ultra laminated ones. The smoothest of all are the Jacoby 128 pc laminated. You actually can't see the laminations without looking really closely. My Schon solids are a really nice grain structure and consistent. The DZ is a whole different hit and look. Slightly muted and less crisp hit than the Schons, but very accurate and smooth hitting. If I could only have one shaft it would be the Jacoby Ultra. For solid wood I really like the feel and sound of the hit of the Schons, yet I seem to shoot slightly better with the DZ.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
As far as shaft smoothness goes, I'm not anal about it lol. As long as it isn't sticky (older Defys), I'm good!
I use a cheapie glove, 10 for about $16 on Amazon.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Are you sure? You mean Predator is trying to fool little ol' me?
Lol.
Anyways, you seem pretty convinced torrified shafts are the best-est shafts ever, so use them.
I really don't care what anybody else shoots with.
I just give my experiences coming from 35+ years of maple to Vantage to Revo, and finally settling on the Vantage.
Ever heard of Ralf Souquet? He recently switched to Vantage after decades shooting with 314s.
Thomas Hohmann, Carlo Biado, etc. Guys that have been around. World champs.
But we're all different, stick with your torrified shafts if you like them! I'm not trying to sell anything.
I didn't make any claims about which are the best.

Monti

You can only improve the average player's natural ability/stroke only to a point lol. Most folks don't have a pro stroke and never will.
The ld shafts add a little more accuracy to ALL LEVELS of strokes. That's why they're so popular.
Many amateurs jumping from a non-ld maple shaft to a carbon shaft think the CARBON is what's making them better. It's not. It's the ld properties.
If you're serious about improving your pool game, get a TRUE (not pure-x lol) ld shaft and build off it.
Ok. I have a pure-x and am fairly new to understanding all the nuances of cue types, why is that worthy of an lol?

dendweller

Ok. I have a pure-x and am fairly new to understanding all the nuances of cue types, why is that worthy of an lol?
I suspect he's saying he doesn't think purex shafts are all that low in deflection. If you like it I wouldn't worry about it. Search on deflection if you're unfamiliar, plenty of info available.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pure-X shafts only have a little 'lightening' under the ferrule area. They play good but are barely less deflect. than solid maple. If you like it don't worry what others say.

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a "wood" (in quotes because the shaft does have a carbon rod/tube inside) shaft when on a 7ft Diamond (or any 7ft that plays on the faster side with proper rails)

I'll swap to a carbon shaft when on a 9ft or a slower playing table (slower cloth, Valley table at the pub, etc) For when I feel I need to put a little more to the cue ball around.

Both shafts have the same tip, but it's a very noticeable difference in the amount of power/energy transfer from full carbon and wood.

Since most of the top snooker players are still using one-piece ash cues, it could be a while.
The Emerald Ash Borer may make that decision for them sooner than later. All of my ash trees are dead and many manufacturers (Fender guitars recently announced no more ash) can no longer source ash.

mcjack

Registered
I paid $500 for a used wood shaft, wouldn’t sell it for 2k. Don’t think I’d sell it period, plays better for me than any other shaft I tried. Just got lucky, I had a new one built by the same builder custom fit to my cue and it was no contest. The used shaft won out, I’m guessing it is higher quality wood from some time ago.
But you don’t mention who made it. Secret?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
This debate reminds me of the barrel twist and groove design discussions in the Gun forums. It is splitting hairs if you ask me. Perhaps we should all concentrate on delivering that .050 diameter aimpoint on whitey, and the OB with more consistency for accurate delivery.
just sayin'

Zerksies

This debate reminds me of the barrel twist and groove design discussions in the Gun forums. It is splitting hairs if you ask me. Perhaps we should all concentrate on delivering that .050 diameter aimpoint on whitey, and the OB with more consistency for accurate delivery.
just sayin'
Most can't do that. And if they say they can, they really can't.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to Bert van Manen on FB here is list of the shafts used by the top ten 3-cushion players. Are the days of wood numbered?

View attachment 691958
Another point is that all but one is using a low deflection (AKA squirt) shaft.
I was at the NYC 3c tournament a couple weeks ago and was surprised at the lack of carbon used by the players.

Wish I had actual #s, but carbon/ wood ratio was in the 1:3/ 1:5 zone for sure.

Carbon won, that said
Screenshot_20230824-111804.jpg