World 14-1 Championship - payouts

Steve Lipsky said:
These numbers seem a little off, as the hotel was only $120 a night (that includes taxes) and you'd really only need to stay for 6 nights. Additionally, it's not unreasonable that two players can share the room, so all of a sudden the $160 a night x 7 ($1,120) becomes $60 x 6 ($360).

I saved a lot on food by requesting a refrigerator in my room (free) and getting to a supermarket right before the players meeting. Bought a lot of cold cuts and rolls. I didn't do it so much to save money as to not be dependent on the slow slervice of the Hilton (either restaurant or room service, you were gonna be waiting). But I definitely ended up saving a ton of money by doing that.

So... still expensive, but perhaps not quite as expensive as was listed. And I'm not sure I understand how this tournament is more expensive than any other pro tournament - you always have to fly, sleep, and eat, right? Are these payouts worse than most other tournaments? To me they seem better, or at least similar (discounting the majors like the US Open and the World 9-Ball).

- Steve
My dyxlexia kicked in on the room rate. It was $105 and I thought it was $150.

As far as doing the things you mention to save money they are all possible of course. Still double tough out there to do much and it really is no ones fault, just making an observation.
 
Nostroke said:
A guy I know decided to "go on the road" with this other player who had been out there before. At the end of the first night, my buddy thinks they are driving to the Motel when the guy pulls into a dirt parking lot out in the country gets out a blanket and a slobbering dog and they move to the bed of the pick-up truck for a good nights rest (not)- dog in the middle. It came as a total shock to the guy and If memory serves me correctly, the road trip ended the next day.

Well, realistically. If your not making a profit, it's not worth it.

I think the funniest was when we drove a LONG way and there was some issue with the hotel and no room for us, and no alternate hotel to go to.

So we slept in the car. In a major thunderstorm, with the windows cracked a little.
Woke, up the next morning and went to the McDonald's or Burger King, i can't remember which, and one by one, went to the huge handicapped bathroom, and basically took showers in there.
Showed up at the tournament squeaky clean, made it to day two, and slept in the car again.

I mean, Look at Jasmin.
How much do you think it cost her to come play?
Despite tearing it up, how much do you think she came out ahead.

Forget that.
 
All in all, 32 out of the 64 players were paid. That is way to many players being paid. The prize fund is being spread too thin. The top 15 players at best should have been paid, the numbers would have been a little better for those players. I have argued before that pool tounaments pay out too many places. In poker tournaments (not comparing the two, just the payout structure), only 10% of the field gets paid.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JAM
JCIN said:
... $1800 stuck before you ever hit a ball with no shot to get even unless you finish top 5 in a field of world beaters. ...
That's only true for some players, I think. Others are supported by their national federations since they are representing their country in a world championship. I think such support normally includes the entry fee, airfare, hotel and food.
 
Quite true. And for a lot of the people competing, they played in other tournaments to try and make a few extra bucks.

Busta, for example, did some damage during his stay in the NY/NJ area:

$10,000 Million Dollar Shootout
$2,600 Turning Stone Classic XI
$3,053 Blaze 9-Ball Tour Stop
$6,000 Predator World Straight Pool Championship

TOTAL: $21,653

Bob Jewett said:
That's only true for some players, I think. Others are supported by their national federations since they are representing their country in a world championship. I think such support normally includes the entry fee, airfare, hotel and food.
 
I was thinking this thread was going to be about money taken out of the purse to pay for TD's and marketing, glad to see it wasn't. Hard to make money playing this game which is why I grudgingly have nothing really good to say when people ask me "so what big event are you playing next?".

Luckily the Florida Pro Tour is coming to Bankshots next month so that us Jacksonvillianes (or Jacksonvillians, muahaha!!) have a chance to play some top notch players, because I can't afford the $500/event it costs to travel to the other stops.

Congrats to Niels, that was an incredibly hard field and a toss up of about a dozen possible victors.
 
StevenPWaldon said:
Quite true. And for a lot of the people competing, they played in other tournaments to try and make a few extra bucks.

Busta, for example, did some damage during his stay in the NY/NJ area:

$10,000 Million Dollar Shootout
$2,600 Turning Stone Classic XI
$3,053 Blaze 9-Ball Tour Stop
$6,000 Predator World Straight Pool Championship

TOTAL: $21,653

I am so glad Bustie won some monies in those above-referenced tournaments.

I know 21,000 sounds like a good chunk of cheese, and it is, but in the pool world, after one-third is taken out for taxes, expenses, and the stakehorse's cut, it isn't as much as one may like. However, it sure as heck is better than NOT winning the monies. So, in that sense, he's at least covered his expenses and put a little more jingle in his pockets.

Is he still in the States? I read a pool news article about India and saw, I think, a picture of Bustie. Maybe they borrowed Bustie's picture, but it sure does look like him.

Is this Bustamante in this picture?

http://www.topnews.in/ten-day-billiard-event-commence-monday-263142

Reading about pool in India, I am surprised at how popular it is right now. Interestingly, half of all the population in India is under 25 years old, and next year, 600,000 college/university graduates will be entering the job markets. I also read that there are 22 different languages spoken in India, but many Indian students today are fluent in English.

Philippines and India have many articles in the mainstream press about pool tournaments in recent times. :p

JAM
 
Back
Top