World 14-1 Championship - payouts

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Here's the payout's for the WC 14-1. I have been looking all over for this information, Found it on the German Wikipedia-site:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poolbillard-Weltmeisterschaft_14_und_1_endlos)_2008

Turnierplatzierung Preisgeld
1. Platz (Weltmeister) 14.000 $
2. Platz (Finalniederlage) 6.000 $
3. Platz (Halbfinalaus) 3.500 $
5. Platz (Viertelfinalaus) 2.550 $
9. Platz (Achtelfinalaus) 1.600 $
17. Platz (Aus in der Doppel-K.o. Phase mit einem Sieg) 650 $
25. Platz (Aus in der Doppel-K.o. Phase ohne Sieg) 300 $
 
Man that is tough action.

Seven days hotel: $160 x 7 = $1120

Airfare= $400

$40 a day for food = $280

$1800 stuck before you ever hit a ball with no shot to get even unless you finish top 5 in a field of world beaters. I'll be damned if I know the answer but I hope someone can figure it out. Maybe just pay the top 10% like poker so at least if you go deep you get something.

EDIT: I guess if you get knocked out in the early rounds you could leave if you wanted to pay to change the flight but it is still double tough.
 
That is airfare for American players... imagine for the european players

This tournament should consider being a double elimination till the last 16, then it could be done in 2 days... Atleast they should do it that way till the pricemoney increases
 
JCIN said:
Man that is tough action.

Seven days hotel: $160 x 7 = $1120

Airfare= $400

$40 a day for food = $280

$1800 stuck before you ever hit a ball with no shot to get even unless you finish top 5 in a field of world beaters. I'll be damned if I know the answer but I hope someone can figure it out. Maybe just pay the top 10% like poker so at least if you go deep you get something.

EDIT: I guess if you get knocked out in the early rounds you could leave if you wanted to pay to change the flight but it is still double tough.

Exact reason I didn't go, its brutal out there.
 
Justin...Maybe if you're eatin' at McD's (or hot dogs at the tourney site), but not if you're eating in a decent restaurant. An 'average' meal, even in a diner, will set you back $20 (with tip)...with no alcohol. I guess maybe if you only ate ONE good meal a day, you could get away with $40!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

JCIN said:
$40 a day for food = $280.
 
I wonder

Wonder if that is in US dollars. Not sure we are comparing apples and apples.

Hu



Roy Steffensen said:
Here's the payout's for the WC 14-1. I have been looking all over for this information, Found it on the German Wikipedia-site:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poolbillard-Weltmeisterschaft_14_und_1_endlos)_2008

Turnierplatzierung Preisgeld
1. Platz (Weltmeister) 14.000 $
2. Platz (Finalniederlage) 6.000 $
3. Platz (Halbfinalaus) 3.500 $
5. Platz (Viertelfinalaus) 2.550 $
9. Platz (Achtelfinalaus) 1.600 $
17. Platz (Aus in der Doppel-K.o. Phase mit einem Sieg) 650 $
25. Platz (Aus in der Doppel-K.o. Phase ohne Sieg) 300 $
 
Scott Lee said:
Justin...Maybe if you're eatin' at McD's (or hot dogs at the tourney site), but not if you're eating in a decent restaurant. An 'average' meal, even in a diner, will set you back $20 (with tip)...with no alcohol. I guess maybe if you only ate ONE good meal a day, you could get away with $40!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
I know all about it. I just figured $40 to be on the conservative side.
 
Roy Steffensen said:
Here's the payout's for the WC 14-1. I have been looking all over for this information, Found it on the German Wikipedia-site:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poolbillard-Weltmeisterschaft_14_und_1_endlos)_2008

Turnierplatzierung Preisgeld
1. Platz (Weltmeister) 14.000 $
2. Platz (Finalniederlage) 6.000 $
3. Platz (Halbfinalaus) 3.500 $
5. Platz (Viertelfinalaus) 2.550 $
9. Platz (Achtelfinalaus) 1.600 $
17. Platz (Aus in der Doppel-K.o. Phase mit einem Sieg) 650 $
25. Platz (Aus in der Doppel-K.o. Phase ohne Sieg) 300 $


You left out 7. (7th-8th).
 
A losing proposition for me

You guys broke the numbers down pretty well, like I've done too. Now add to them the expense of trying to qualify for a tournament I should get an invitation to and maybe you'll understand why I'm so frustrated. I ran a hundred balls every day for years and now I don't even like to practice the game.
I'm not surprised that Neils won. He's playing great pool. Congrats to him.
 
JCIN said:
Man that is tough action.

Seven days hotel: $160 x 7 = $1120

Airfare= $400

$40 a day for food = $280

$1800 stuck before you ever hit a ball with no shot to get even unless you finish top 5 in a field of world beaters. I'll be damned if I know the answer but I hope someone can figure it out. Maybe just pay the top 10% like poker so at least if you go deep you get something.

EDIT: I guess if you get knocked out in the early rounds you could leave if you wanted to pay to change the flight but it is still double tough.

And I think the entry fee was $500 to boot.

I don't have an answer for the problem either, but your right its tough action.
 
Roy Steffensen said:
Nope. Single elimination last 16 = 8 players finishing 9th, 4 players finishing 5th

Thanks Roy, that makes sense now. If you didn't make the top 16 out of 64 players, you were out of luck. 9-16th may have been the break even point for U.S. based players. Any lower finish than that and you got "bambozzled". Thank you Norman.

The purse was a little top heavy, particularly for first place. If you take $2,000 off the top, you can make it $4,000 for 3rd-4th and $2,750 for 5th-8th, and even have $25 extra for 9th-16th. :)
 
Last edited:
Also, one-third of all payouts are withheld for U.S. taxes if you are an international player, without a Social Security number.

Uncle Sam always gets his, sooner or later. :wink:

JAM

ETA: I know everybody has to pay taxes.

The nut that's tough to crack in pool is that you have to pay one-third of all payouts to taxes. Then you have the expenses that are incurred for the event. If you are backed with a stakehorse, he gets his cut. If you're stuck from previous tournaments you have participated in, i.e., not coming in the money, the winnings help to make up for past losses. In other words, even when you win, you're still stuck sometimes.

If the pool payouts were HIGHER in the year 2008, winning 15 dimes would be fantastic. It sure is better than nothing.

That said, when you see a pool player who earned $100,000 in competition, that $100,000 is a whole lot different than earning $100,000 in a 9:00 to 5:00 job. The expenses far outweigh the payouts in pool, unlike most brick-and-mortar jobs.
 
Last edited:
JCIN said:
Man that is tough action.

Seven days hotel: $160 x 7 = $1120

Airfare= $400

$40 a day for food = $280

$1800 stuck before you ever hit a ball with no shot to get even unless you finish top 5 in a field of world beaters. I'll be damned if I know the answer but I hope someone can figure it out. Maybe just pay the top 10% like poker so at least if you go deep you get something.

EDIT: I guess if you get knocked out in the early rounds you could leave if you wanted to pay to change the flight but it is still double tough.

These numbers seem a little off, as the hotel was only $120 a night (that includes taxes) and you'd really only need to stay for 6 nights. Additionally, it's not unreasonable that two players can share the room, so all of a sudden the $160 a night x 7 ($1,120) becomes $60 x 6 ($360).

I saved a lot on food by requesting a refrigerator in my room (free) and getting to a supermarket right before the players meeting. Bought a lot of cold cuts and rolls. I didn't do it so much to save money as to not be dependent on the slow slervice of the Hilton (either restaurant or room service, you were gonna be waiting). But I definitely ended up saving a ton of money by doing that.

So... still expensive, but perhaps not quite as expensive as was listed. And I'm not sure I understand how this tournament is more expensive than any other pro tournament - you always have to fly, sleep, and eat, right? Are these payouts worse than most other tournaments? To me they seem better, or at least similar (discounting the majors like the US Open and the World 9-Ball).

- Steve
 
Steve Lipsky said:
These numbers seem a little off, as the hotel was only $120 a night (that includes taxes) and you'd really only need to stay for 6 nights. Additionally, it's not unreasonable that two players can share the room, so all of a sudden the $160 a night x 7 ($1,120) becomes $60 x 6 ($360).

I saved a lot on food by requesting a refrigerator in my room (free) and getting to a supermarket right before the players meeting. Bought a lot of cold cuts and rolls. I didn't do it so much to save money as to not be dependent on the slow slervice of the Hilton (either restaurant or room service, you were gonna be waiting). But I definitely ended up saving a ton of money by doing that.

So... still expensive, but perhaps not quite as expensive as was listed. And I'm not sure I understand how this tournament is more expensive than any other pro tournament - you always have to fly, sleep, and eat, right? Are these payouts worse than most other tournaments? To me they seem better, or at least similar (discounting the majors like the US Open and the World 9-Ball).

- Steve

I agree with you, Steve, in that veteran players like yourself know how to cut down on expenses.

I know some players who do exactly as you do, and it sure does help.

The payouts of this event are not bad as far as pool payouts go in general, IMHO.

What is difficult for some players, though, is havnig to expend monies every single month, sometimes twice and three times a month, to compete professionally full time. The expenses far outweigh the payouts.

That said, these payouts are better than most. It's just a tough racket in general, even with these payouts! :)

JAM
 
tax winnings on pro's vs open vs amateurs?

JAM said:
Also, one-third of all payouts are withheld for U.S. taxes if you are an international player, without a Social Security number.

Uncle Sam always gets his, sooner or later. :wink:

JAM

ETA: I know everybody has to pay taxes.

The nut that's tough to crack in pool is that you have to pay one-third of all payouts to taxes. Then you have the expenses that are incurred for the event. If you are backed with a stakehorse, he gets his cut. If you're stuck from previous tournaments you have participated in, i.e., not coming in the money, the winnings help to make up for past losses. In other words, even when you win, you're still stuck sometimes.

If the pool payouts were HIGHER in the year 2008, winning 15 dimes would be fantastic. It sure is better than nothing.

That said, when you see a pool player who earned $100,000 in competition, that $100,000 is a whole lot different than earning $100,000 in a 9:00 to 5:00 job. The expenses far outweigh the payouts in pool, unlike most brick-and-mortar jobs.

JAM, good post (and the situation for pro pool players is in many ways not disimilar to starving golfers living out of their cars...) But Damn, snagging the money on the spot for tax vs filing a W4 with the IRS and sending out 1099's to the winners is harsh!

Hey, is it just professional tourneys that take the 33% out? What about tourneys like an Open event, say an open on Shannon's GSB Tour? What about an amateur event where the winning amateur pockets $1k?

I hate the IRS, but I ain't dumb enuf to mess with 'em!
 
KoolKat9Lives said:
JAM, good post (and the situation for pro pool players is in many ways not disimilar to starving golfers living out of their cars...) But Damn, snagging the money on the spot for tax vs filing a W4 with the IRS and sending out 1099's to the winners is harsh!

Hey, is it just professional tourneys that take the 33% out? What about tourneys like an Open event, say an open on Shannon's GSB Tour? What about an amateur event where the winning amateur pockets $1k?

I hate the IRS, but I ain't dumb enuf to mess with 'em!

Most events take out a third for international players who don't have a Social Security number.

U.S. Open does it. Allen Hopkins' events does it. IPT did it as well.

I remember when Efren won $200,000 at the IPT King of the Hill Shootout in Orlando, Florida. They brought out the cash money in a clear plastic box and placed it on the pool table for all to see. I was standing railside, and I heard the tournament director whisper to a staff member, "Don't forget to take out a third."

I'm not sure if Efren got paid in cash or with a check, but he definitely had one-third taken out right there on the spot.

JAM
 
LOL

And people used to bust on us when they'd come to a tournament with the crew for the first time, and see us in action. Fleabag motel was a must, and the supermarket the instant we got there.

Boiling hot dogs in the coffee pot, cooking grilled coldcut sandwiches with the iron in a paper bag, and having a loaf of peanut butter and jellyies ready to go tournament day in the cooler in the car.
All to try and be on the profit side should we make some money.

I remember one time, a guy broke his cherry with us as it was really his first time going away to a regional event, and when we went to hit up the supermarket, the crew knew exactly what to buy as we had done it a bunch of times before, but THAT guy totally went off. He must have blown $80 on perishable food the first night when there was no fridge in the room!!!
So anyway, we let him go off like it was some big vacation, and when he was effectively broke, and didn't make the cash line and was needing to borrow money from us at the end of it, he finally got the point.

Pool, the glorious life.
 
SUPERSTAR said:
LOL

And people used to bust on us when they'd come to a tournament with the crew for the first time, and see us in action. Fleabag motel was a must, and the supermarket the instant we got there.

Boiling hot dogs in the coffee pot, cooking grilled coldcut sandwiches with the iron in a paper bag, and having a loaf of peanut butter and jellyies ready to go tournament day in the cooler in the car.
All to try and be on the profit side should we make some money.

I remember one time, a guy broke his cherry with us as it was really his first time going away to a regional event, and when we went to hit up the supermarket, the crew knew exactly what to buy as we had done it a bunch of times before, but THAT guy totally went off. He must have blown $80 on perishable food the first night when there was no fridge in the room!!!
So anyway, we let him go off like it was some big vacation, and when he was effectively broke, and didn't make the cash line and was needing to borrow money from us at the end of it, he finally got the point.

Pool, the glorious life.


A guy I know decided to "go on the road" with this other player who had been out there before. At the end of the first night, my buddy thinks they are driving to the Motel when the guy pulls into a dirt parking lot out in the country gets out a blanket and a slobbering dog and they move to the bed of the pick-up truck for a good nights rest (not)- dog in the middle. It came as a total shock to the guy and If memory serves me correctly, the road trip ended the next day.
 
Back
Top