WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Filler misses a 1 ball he was supposed to make. Could be it after Oi makes a nice shot with a relatively runnable rack left.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Oi closes it out! It was just one of those days for Filler. Oi didn't get punished nearly as much as he could have with a few rolls, plus solid play and some below-par playing for Josh.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Oi played superbly and got a couple of rolls, but his great play was the story. Shaw, in commentating Oi's play, probably said "he it that like a dream" seven or eight times. Well played.

Pool's most entertaining player is still in the mix.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Great win for Oi. That last runout was a nailbiter! Filler is clearly off his form.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 big name favorites (Gorst, Shaw, Filler) out in early stages last 64 /last 32.
Shane is favorite over other players in last 16, this is his to lose. Strongest challenger is Albin so could be rematch of 2016 final. Other challengers Alcaide and Sanchez Ruiz :D

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
3 big name favorites (Gorst, Shaw, Filler) out in early stages last 64 /last 32.
Shane is favorite over other players in last 16, this is his to lose. Strongest challenger is Albin so could be rematch of 2016 final. Other challengers Alcaide and Sanchez Ruiz :D
I think Max Lechner is still very dangerous here. At the 2019 International, he beat both SVB and Filler, and lost the final to Shaw 13-11. He can hang with the big boys.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The last sixteen at the World Pool Championship looks as follows:

United States: (3) Shane Van Boening, Skyler Woodward, Jeremy Sossei
Austria (2): Max Lechner, Albin Ouschan
Poland (2): Mieszko Fortunski, Tomasz Kaplan
Spain (2): Francisco Sanchex-Ruiz, David Alcaide
Kuwait (1): Omar Al-Shaheen
Greece (1): Nick Ekonomopoulos
Netherlands (1): Marc Bjisterbosch
Switzerland (1): Dmitri Jungo
Hungary (1): Oliver Szolnocki
Japan (1): Naoyuki Oi
Philippines (1): Roberto Gomez

Still a lot of pool left to be played. Tuesday at the World Pool Championships was a dandy.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last sixteen at the World Pool Championship looks as follows:

United States: (3) Shane Van Boening, Skyler Woodward, Jeremy Sossei
Austria (2): Max Lechner, Albin Ouschan
Poland (2): Mieszko Fortunski, Tomasz Kaplan
Spain (2): Francisco Sanchex-Ruiz, David Alcaide
Kuwait (1): Omar Al-Shaheen
Greece (1): Nick Ekonomopoulos
Netherlands (1): Marc Bjisterbosch
Switzerland (1): Dmitri Jungo
Hungary (1): Oliver Szolnocki
Japan (1): Naoyuki Oi
Philippines (1): Roberto Gomez

Still a lot of pool left to be played. Tuesday at the World Pool Championships was a dandy.
Perhaps Jeremy will make the MC team based on this though i think he is pretty P off about the way he was treated the last time he was a contender. May turn them down.. Clarifier- I have never spoken to him about the issue.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting last 16.

What we see here is what I like to call the "Eurotoureffect".
While we focus on the Gorsts, Shaws, Khasakis and Fillers, we overlook that pool in the end can be quite a simple game.
There are many second row players, who are capable of putting some racks together and if the top guns don't play their best, they go out one after another.
And if you look at the last 16, we see a lot of not so well known players. But guys like Kaplan or Jungo know the game as well as anybody else and I can assure you that their are feared at least by the European players.
Will we see a surprise world champion?
Well, as long as guys as Shane, Alcaide or Albin... Or maybe Max or Skyler are in the mix, I don't think so...but a Hungarian or Japanese world champion wouldn't surprise me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I will never begrudge Oi a win.
He’s the only guy I saw make the always cool Big Ko laugh so hard I could see all his teeth.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I wouldn't say it's his to lose. Even if Shane were an 80% favorite over each of his remaining opponents (which obviously he won't be), he would only be a 41% favorite from here to win the tournament.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Very interesting last 16.

What we see here is what I like to call the "Eurotoureffect".
While we focus on the Gorsts, Shaws, Khasakis and Fillers, we overlook that pool in the end can be quite a simple game.
There are many second row players, who are capable of putting some racks together and if the top guns don't play their best, they go out one after another.
And if you look at the last 16, we see a lot of not so well known players. But guys like Kaplan or Jungo know the game as well as anybody else and I can assure you that their are feared at least by the European players.
Will we see a surprise world champion?
Well, as long as guys as Shane, Alcaide or Albin... Or maybe Max or Skyler are in the mix, I don't think so...but a Hungarian or Japanese world champion wouldn't surprise me.
Kaplan and Jungo are both former European Straight Pool champions, so their pedigree is already known and proven. No doubt, the Eurotour effect is legitimate.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player that is on to the last 16 of whom I know almost nothing is Oliver Szolnoki; Can any of our European posters offer some info about him?
When it comes to this young player from Hungary in spite of his young age like most of the european players firstly he had a good school and experience at european championships for youth. He is the same age as Joshua Filler and our current best player Vitaliy Patsura so they competed among pupils and juniors back then and Joshua was a player to beat to grab the gold. If I remember correctly Oliver had some medals in youth and continued his way to compete at european stage in eurotours and EPC for men and some other tournaments here and there.
So of course he does not have as much experience of playing in Majors as SVB but you know he's a competitor and capable to give a good fight as should be expected especially at this stage.
When it comes to me I'm curious about his rhythm now because he used to play quite slow especially when he was allowed.
We'll see tomorrow... now when Joshua is out ...well it adds even more expectations from SVB to perform ... but I believe he knows what he needs to focus on.
Let the better player win at the end.

• Love
Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I wouldn't say it's his to lose. Even if Shane were an 80% favorite over each of his remaining opponents (which obviously he won't be), he would only be a 41% favorite from here to win the tournament.
Yeah, there are still several left that can beat him. I don't think he'll have a 41% chance to win this until he has won both of his Wednesday matches. That said, based on Fargo, he is the only top fifteen ranked player still in the draw, so I think the statement that it is his to lose is a fair one. He's the favorite, but not even close to an odds on favorite, for the title.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When it comes to this young player from Hungary in spite of his young age like most of the european players firstly he had a good school and experience at european championships for youth. He is the same age as Joshua Filler and our current best player Vitaliy Patsura so they competed among pupils and juniors back then and Joshua was a player to beat to grab the gold. If I remember correctly Oliver had some medals in youth and continued his way to compete at european stage in eurotours and EPC for men and some other tournaments here and there.
So of course he does not have as much experience of playing in Majors as SVB but you know he's a competitor and capable to give a good fight as should be expected especially at this stage.
When it comes to me I'm curious about his rhythm now because he used to play quite slow especially when he was allowed.
We'll see tomorrow... now when Joshua is out ...well it adds even more expectations from SVB to perform ... but I believe he knows what he needs to focus on.
Let the better player win at the end.
Thanks for an insider's view. I pay a lot of attention to European pool, but Oliver was under my radar .... until now.