No idea why Orcullo couldn’t make it. Now he’s doing this

Attachments

• CF607645-AB95-442C-A841-BCA50B81ADA5.jpeg
    CF607645-AB95-442C-A841-BCA50B81ADA5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 147

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The heart of it is the cut break. Can you cut break, control the 1B, control the CB and not be exposed to soft breaking accusations from a player that wasn’t cut breaking?

Ko was hitting the 1B square trying to park the CB. That sent the 1B above the side pocket around three rails like this. But he was unlucky and getting all kinds of kisses and traffic.
1DF68E3B-A636-4BB8-8E07-4A014AA8DD38.jpg

Wojciek put two of these on him in a row successfully.
F530EF73-BA73-411C-9220-DDF27138E9AE.jpg

So then Ko complained and Wojciek hit the next two breaks harder and they looked more like this instead.
D2B275E0-C4A0-402B-9DAE-583C87996A18.jpg

So it begs the question. Is a successful cut break with good control by definition considered a medium-soft break?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The square-and-park break does seem especially prone to bad kicks and kisses.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Yeah, there are definitely still a few guys here and there who stick out with their stances, strokes, pre-shot routines, etc. But with the young European players especially, it's like they are clones of each other at the table.

Just like what happened with golf and tennis.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like what happened with golf and tennis.
bYSyYvz.png

Not true at all for golf, as the top of a few tour players' backswings show.

There does seem to be some convergence happening but there is room in pool for idiosyncracies, at least if we aren't moving toward a (sad) world where 4" pockets are commonplace.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Definitely a weird addition. I had to turn off the analysis part, as having a beginner level player giving insights is not especially interesting.
I would not be against having a proper coach (eg. Beeler, Lely, Montana, Lowry, etc) with a proven track record share thoughts, as that would be a welcome addition.

It's certainly confusing. Looks like she is a mental health therapist who once wanted to play professional pool.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's certainly confusing. Looks like she is a mental health therapist who once wanted to play professional pool.

I also found her insights fairly obvious. It's just fancy title. It's almost like she's was saying this was, there first time. Dealing with a defeat. These guys are Seasoned players. I think, that part is more for people who, have never seen the game before. Making more of it, than it is. It's like that last rack with Woodward at hill, hill. The other guy, got very lucky. It's part of the game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Another less known player thru to last 64 is Shane Wolford chalking up biggest win of his career defeating veterans Alcaide and Petroni
Wolford's solid play is not that surprising given who he beat on the way to a sixth-place finish at the Derby City 9-ball event.

RD 1 Shane Wolford beat Rahul Vithani
RD 2 Shane Wolford beat Raphael Dabreo
RD 3 Shane Wolford beat Jerry Grooms
RD 4 Shane Wolford beat Naoyuki Oi
RD 5 Shane Wolford beat Danny Olson
RD 6 Shane Wolford beat Shannon Murphy
RD 7 Shane Wolford beat Demetrius Jelatis
RD 8 Shane Wolford beat Johnathan Pinegar
RD 9 Shane Wolford lost to Carlo Biado
RD 10 Shane Wolford beat Bader AlAwadhi
RD 11 Shane Wolford lost to Joshua Filler

He gave Filler a tough test in Round 11, too. Added to the fact that he reached Stage 2 at the International 9-ball in October, he's not that much of a Cinderella here. He's a fast-improving player who is starting to show very strong form. Still only 21, I believe, so he may not be ready for moments as big as the ones he's about to face, but we shall see.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wolford's solid play is not that surprising given who he beat on the way to a sixth-place finish at the Derby City 9-ball event.

He gave Filler a tough test in Round 11, too. Added to the fact that he reached Stage 2 at the International 9-ball in October, he's not that much of a Cinderella here. He's a fast-improving player who is starting to show very strong form. Still only 21, I believe, so he may not be ready for moments as big as the ones he's about to face, but we shall see.
Wolford also had a strong Las Vegas Open, going undefeated into the second stage (including beating Oscar Dominguez) and beating Joven Bustamante before falling to Ko Pin-Yi.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wolford also had a strong Las Vegas Open, going undefeated into the second stage (including beating Oscar Dominguez) and beating Joven Bustamante before falling to Ko Pin-Yi.
Thanks for that. I didn't know.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The purple 5 ball continues to be the single dumbest pool "innovation" in memory.
I'm not a fan of the purple 5 and don't "like" it, but I'm over it. The fact that both Predator/CSI and Matchroom have a $60k first prize within weeks of each other is a pretty strong indication that World Championship prize money will reach 00s levels pretty soon. One side of me couldn't give a fig, but if the game has a professional status then that will rub off on folk who love the social side of the game and fewer of them will have a surprised face like a bad internet meme when someone mentions Shane Van Boening.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's check in on the dead money :)
Code:
##   p1              p2                          s1    s2 p1_rating p2_rating
## 1 Eklent Kaci     Mycherif Zine El Abidine     9     0       819        NA
## 2 Oscar Dominguez Dino Nair                    9     3       777        NA
## 3 Omar Al-Shaheen JJ Faul                      9     8       789        NA
## 4 Jan Van Lierop  Kyle Akaloo                  9     8       764        NA
## 5 Hunter Lombardo Mohamed Shareef              9     6       736        NA
## 6 Oliver Szolnoki Hassan Shaaz Mohamed         9     0       787        NA
Among the six players with missing Fargo ratings, two of the middle eastern players crashed and burned 9-0 against top-flight competition, while South Africans Akaloo and Faul almost took down seeded opponents.

Code:
##   p1           p2                  s1    s2 p1_rating p2_rating
## 1 Tom Staveley Pia Filler           9     2       714       641
## 2 Jayson Shaw  Vincent Halliday     9     2       822       574
## 3 John Morra   Adrian Prasad        9     2       786       634
## 4 Tyler Styer  Kristina Zlateva     9     3       760       644
Among the players with ratings under 650, none of the matches was close.

All ten of these unranked or low-ranked folks lost. No cinderella stories today.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's check in on the dead money :)
Code:
##   p1              p2                          s1    s2 p1_rating p2_rating
## 1 Eklent Kaci     Mycherif Zine El Abidine     9     0       819        NA
## 2 Oscar Dominguez Dino Nair                    9     3       777        NA
## 3 Omar Al-Shaheen JJ Faul                      9     8       789        NA
## 4 Jan Van Lierop  Kyle Akaloo                  9     8       764        NA
## 5 Hunter Lombardo Mohamed Shareef              9     6       736        NA
## 6 Oliver Szolnoki Hassan Shaaz Mohamed         9     0       787        NA
Among the six players with missing Fargo ratings, two of the middle eastern players crashed and burned 9-0 against top-flight competition, while South Africans Akaloo and Faul almost took down seeded opponents.

Code:
##   p1           p2                  s1    s2 p1_rating p2_rating
## 1 Tom Staveley Pia Filler           9     2       714       641
## 2 Jayson Shaw  Vincent Halliday     9     2       822       574
## 3 John Morra   Adrian Prasad        9     2       786       634
## 4 Tyler Styer  Kristina Zlateva     9     3       760       644
Among the players with ratings under 650, none of the matches was close.

All ten of these unranked or low-ranked folks lost. No cinderella stories today.
At least one of those <650 players gave us a foul of Jeremy Jones proportions.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are arguments against fargorate
of course and you pointing out svb
as number two in the world is a good
example of it’s many imperfections

but one thing it is not
is silly

it’s one of the least silly things ever

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Been awesome to watch so far, is it me or does shot clock seem shorter?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'll add the Shane W played extremely well to win these matches, he wasn't catching people sleeping.

When I played him it was my best set of the tournament. I had him 3-0, he ran 3 racks. I had him 6-4, he ran 3 racks again. I missed safe and he ran two and out. Something like that. I really only made one blunder and played my best pool but he never flinched once and did everything the table demanded and more to take it away.

Danny Olson told me he had Wolford 7-1 and had been playing really well. Up six games he was too aggressive on a shot he probably should have ducked on. Next thing you know it was 8-4. Danny made one more error and Wolford ran out the rack, then 4 more racks to close out the set.

After what I saw of him I fully expect him to be a future great for the US.