World's Got the 8 or Pool Sucker T-Shirt Contest--Free Entry to AZB-ers

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this is how I come to these odds. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Let's use a very simplified example.

Say you have only 3 balls. The first ball has a 1:3 chance of being right. Now you cannot choose that ball again so the second pick has a 1:2 chance of being right. Multiply the odds of both picks being right 1:3 x 1:2 = 1:6. With 3 balls, there are 6 possible outcomes. 1 and 2, 1 and 3, 2 and 1, 2 and 3, 3 and 1, and 3 and 2. As you can see, there are reversed but similar picks. That is the difference in the odds I stated and the odds you stated. If 1 and 25 and 25 and 1 are both paying regardless of which is drawn first, the odds are dramatically reduced. If the order of the drawn balls matters, the odds are 1:69 × 1:68 = 1:4,692.

So it comes down to wether it matters if the order of the drawn two numbers counts or not. I picked 8 and 13. Will I win if the draw is 13 then 8 or must it be 8 then 13?

I apologize if I come off being Debby Downer. I just like math. :)

I kind of think you're reading too much into it. It does not matter what order the balls are drawn. Maybe that is the difference. :)

Math has never been my strong suit, but I think the contest will produce a winner if we get enough entries. If not, we'll keep running it until somebody does win. And I am confident that somebody will win. :cool:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of think you're reading too much into it. It does not matter what order the balls are drawn. Maybe that is the difference. :)

Math has never been my strong suit, but I think the contest will produce a winner if we get enough entries. If not, we'll keep running it until somebody does win. And I am confident that somebody will win. :cool:

Yep. As we say in the Navy, I'm nuking it. :embarrassed2:

I appreciate the drawing JAM. :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM, I'd like to bet nobody wins first time....:)

Well, you were right! :embarrassed2:

Lots of people got one number but not two. :frown:

The first five numbers of the PowerBall last night were 22, 23, 29, 33, and 55.

The contest continues to Saturday, September 10. Pick two numbers from 1 to 69. :smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well, you were right! :embarrassed2:

Lots of people got one number but not two. :frown:

The first five numbers of the PowerBall last night were 22, 23, 29, 33, and 55.

The contest continues to Saturday, September 10. Pick two numbers from 1 to 69. :smile:

Don't be runnin' one these here draws with one foot out the door.

We gonna have us a session....good thing the table time is free

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No winner for last night's drawing. The five numbers drawn were 3, 17, 49, 55, 68.

The contest continues on Wednesday, September 14th. :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No winners. Contest continues to Saturday, 9/17.

Numbers were 10, 11, 23, 28, and 31.

The limited edition World's Got the 8 T-shirt is selling fast. I hope we still have some by the time somebody wins this contest. :embarrassed2:

I'm going to save one shirt in each size, just in case. ;)