Would You Still Gamble With This Guy?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The dope actually thought that I was out of line telling him that I'm not playing with him anymore. He's like, you'll play again... Nope. I enjoy playing actual pool, not those chicken sh!t games.
I understand the frustration, but the safe game should favour you. If he is your only action then reconsider and enforce the actual rules of the game. His plan will back fire, and you'll get his 50 back from him...lol.

I have had some shady moves pulled on me as well over the years, but some of my fondest memories is of torturing those same players at later dates. Only players I refuse to ply are the welchers... I don't have time for those who refuse to pay their losses.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Apologies for the partial shift in topic but speaking of gambling after the league is over I knew a guy who was a decent player who would go 2 and out in tournaments so he could get into action with bangers who had gone 2 and out. Instead of continuing in the tournament and having to play other decent player he just robbed the bangers.
Oh ya... happens all the time. Usually the side action is better time spent then grinding all day (or two) for tournament winnings.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
i'm thinking the soft break should favor you, esp if there's 100 fargo points between you. unless you're an big breaker and that's your biggest asset

Calling it a soft break is probably not the best way to describe it. It was a safety break where no more than 1 or 2 balls hit the rail. The way it worked out, I either had to push and he had an advantage to do a lock up safe, or I could hit the lowest ball, but it was impossible to safe him. The games just worked out where I never had a good opportunity to safe him.

_______

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I understand the frustration, but the safe game should favour you. If he is your only action then reconsider and enforce the actual rules of the game. His plan will back fire, and you'll get his 50 back from him...lol.

I have had some shady moves pulled on me as well over the years, but some of my fondest memories is of torturing those same players at later dates. Only players I refuse to ply are the welchers... I don't have time for those who refuse to pay their losses.

I thought of that too. But this guy won't play me anywhere near where Fargo says is a fair match. He's a chicken sh!t.

_______

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if he had kept selling out and you winning or giving you ball in hand would you still be here complaining about it.

besides as you did this why didnt you roll out to a spot he couldnt put you behind the stack.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Calling it a soft break is probably not the best way to describe it. It was a safety break where no more than 1 or 2 balls hit the rail. The way it worked out, I either had to push and he had an advantage to do a lock up safe, or I could hit the lowest ball, but it was impossible to safe him. The games just worked out where I never had a good opportunity to safe him.

_______
The way I see it you should have had BIH after the illegal break. If that means re-racking and breaking so be it, he had his break opportunity on the opening shot of the game and crapped the bed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Calling it a soft break is probably not the best way to describe it. It was a safety break where no more than 1 or 2 balls hit the rail. ...
Then you get ball in hand:

2.3 Legal Break Shot
The following rules apply to the break shot:
(a) the cue ball begins in hand behind the head string;
(b) if no ball is pocketed, at least four object balls must be driven to one or more rails, or
the shot is a foul ...

In my experience (which pretty much means in New York only), the spot ball had always spotted if made on the break unless stated otherwise. I have given a spot of "the seven wild on the break" and in that instance the seven counted on the break for the player getting the spot but it also stayed down if made by the player giving the spot. I had never heard of it played any other way.
I agree with pool bum!👍

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Then you get ball in hand:

2.3 Legal Break Shot
The following rules apply to the break shot:
(a) the cue ball begins in hand behind the head string;
(b) if no ball is pocketed, at least four object balls must be driven to one or more rails, or
the shot is a foul ...
Someone posted the UPA 10-ball rules. Those are the rules we referred to before we started that says that 3 balls must hit the rail. I had thought that maybe I should get to break, but I had given him all of the breaks. I didn't request him to re-break because he would have just hit the ball slightly harder and I would have been stuck with a similar clustered rack area anyways.

3.0 LEGAL BREAK SHOT
For the break shot to be legal, the breaker (with the base of the cue ball placed anywhere behind the head string) must either pocket an object ball or drive at least three (3) object balls to one or more rails. If the breaker fails to make the legal break requirement, the balls will be re-racked and the opponent shall have the option of breaking, or requesting the offending player to break again.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
if he had kept selling out and you winning or giving you ball in hand would you still be here complaining about it.

besides as you did this why didnt you roll out to a spot he couldnt put you behind the stack.
You are just speculating. I haven't made a single new thread in a LONG time BTW. I thought this was an interesting situation that people would like to discuss. You are being a jerk.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Why are you using the UPA rules? Do you play in that league? It is a small league with strange rules.
We weren't playing the full set of UPA rules. We only referred to them because they came up first in our search about the 10 ball break. We only clarified a few rules beforehand that I mentioned earlier in this thread and when we talked about the break, we did a quick search and just went with the UPA rules for the break.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Why are you using the UPA rules? Do you play in that league? It is a small league with strange rules.
It's funny how this all worked out thinking about it now. If only the UPA rules gives the break to the other player or an option to let the original breaker, re-break, the whole issue with me giving him all of the breaks and that we randomly picked the UPA break rules because they came up first in our search, really makes this situation a crazy one-off thing. LOL

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You were outsmarted. You should adapt and overcome.

With that said if it’s not important to you to solve dealing with an a-hole I wouldn’t blame you for passing on playing him the next time.

For me I’d solve his gimmick. If you’re the better player you should be able to get back over on him.
Just break the rack open with a foul...then let him try to three foul you.

People like this should only serve to motivate you to strip them of every dollar they have.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Just break the rack open with a foul...then let him try to three foul you.

People like this should only serve to motivate you to strip them of every dollar they have.
Breaking the rack open would have let him run out earlier. I fought the safety battle as good as I could. But as soon as the balls were open enough to run out, he ran out. I will admit, that he played better than he normally does that night. Every time the balls finally got open, he ran out both of the safety break racks.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breaking the rack open would have let him run out earlier. I fought the safety battle as good as I could. But as soon as the balls were open enough to run out, he ran out. I will admit, that he played better than he normally does that night. Every time the balls finally got open, he ran out both of the safety break racks.
Let him get a taste of winning.

Jack the bet, alternating or winner break format only.

If you can get him on a 9 foot table and beat him,that's where you play. Everyone is a champion on a barbox, so nobody is getting all the breaks unless they have one arm and no bridge.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Let him get a taste of winning.

Jack the bet, alternating or winner break format only.

If you can get him on a 9 foot table and beat him,that's where you play. Everyone is a champion on a barbox, so nobody is getting all the breaks unless they have one arm and no bridge.
We actually did talk about playing on a 9 foot table in the future. Well, before he pulled this move.

This guy can't afford to lose more than $100. So we either play for $50 or $100 max.

I think my strategy of giving him all of the breaks wasn't the worst thing to do. Because it was 10-ball and and I think he only made a ball on the break 2 times out of 6 breaks where he hit them hard. The spot was going to 7 for me and 5 for him, he gets the 10-ball and all of the breaks. He ended up winning 5-3, and he did the safety breaks the last two games and he won both of those.

I should point out that he's had a taste of winning. Him and I have played about 10 times for money within the last year. He's won about half the time, but with getting huge spots. Way more than Fargo Rate says I should be giving him, but he won't play with a "fair" spot.

Last edited:
In my experience (which pretty much means in New York only), the spot ball had always spotted if made on the break unless stated otherwise. I have given a spot of "the seven wild on the break" and in that instance the seven counted on the break for the player getting the spot but it also stayed down if made by the player giving the spot. I had never heard of it played any other way.
I agree with pool bum!

If u r going to gamble decide on the rules before u start or live and learn no buts.🤑

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I agree with pool bum!

If u r going to gamble decide on the rules before u start or live and learn no buts.🤑
What I've learned is to play by the full set of WSR or BCA rules, where if we have a question during the match, we can look them up. The problem was searching for break rules and going with the first set of rules that came up in the search, which didn't give ball in hand on an illegal break. It was more like dumb luck that those rules gave him a weird loophole with me giving him ALL the breaks. It was a learning experience nonetheless. LOL