Wpba

scarygary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just watching the live stream from the Mezz Classic in Orlando, Florida.
When i asked if any of the participating women would be playing on the tv-table i got the answer that they're not allowed to.
Apparently WPBA as of now, won't be letting anyone stream matches when Pro WPBA players are involved.
I'm completely stunned!
Could someone please shed a little light on this?

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
I'm just watching the live stream from the Mezz Classic in Orlando, Florida.
When i asked if any of the participating women would be playing on the tv-table i got the answer that they're not allowed to.
Apparently WPBA as of now, won't be letting anyone stream matches when Pro WPBA players are involved.
I'm completely stunned!
Could someone please shed a little light on this?

First I've heard of this, however my best guess would be that the WPBA is letting the players play without sanctioning the event because there is no real sponsorship conflict. If the ladies play on the stream it might create or be percieved as a sponsorship conflict. It could also be that the ladies themselves are unsure and requested not to be streamed. Just my best guess.

NoBull9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a little research on the stream rights.If a wpba player is in a private pool room,he or she can be streamed with out permission.Its up to the room owner to decide.If it's an event held and set up by sponcers,then its up to the sponcers to decide who gets tv time and at what expence.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
If it is true in this case then it is just another case of typical short sighted pool BS. The stream is part of the event no different than TV. You don't want to face the chance of being on the stream don't play the event.

What happens if one of the WPBA players is in the finals? They don't show them or the WPBA player forfeits?

NoBull9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd would think that the wpba would want all the player exposer they could get.Any tv time is good time.Its up to the player to address what they should ware to get the ads out and in view.

poolsnark

Clique Wannabe
Silver Member
Hmm... this doesn't sound right. The OB Tour streams all their events and there are a few WPBA players that are regulars on the OB tour (Cristina DLG, Heather Lloyd, etc). I'd be very surprised if the WPBA was telling regional tours that they weren't allowed to stream if WPBA players were in the event. It would indeed be very shortsighted.

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd would think that the wpba would want all the player exposer they could get.Any tv time is good time.Its up to the player to address what they should ware to get the ads out and in view.

No doubt about that the more PR the better. That's a marketing no-brainer

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Like I said.........Just a guess. An alternate guess would be that the streaming rights were settled just before the event and there is some confusion because WPBA didn't have time to ok things with the players. Another guess would be the whole thing is BS and somebody just isn't interested in streaming the ladies. Then again it might just be plain BS and any Mezz or DP sponsored players will be streamed.........Who knows.:rolleyes:

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happens when the Euro EPC games are on ustream and they stream 7 tables? Some of the Euro WPBA members play on this event and other Euro events.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolsnark...Not trying to nit pick here, but neither Cristina, nor Heather, are WPBA tour players. They are regional tour players, who have earned the right to participate in one, or more, WPBA events...but neither of them have WPBA touring status.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Hmm... this doesn't sound right. The OB Tour streams all their events and there are a few WPBA players that are regulars on the OB tour (Cristina DLG, Heather Lloyd, etc). I'd be very surprised if the WPBA was telling regional tours that they weren't allowed to stream if WPBA players were in the event. It would indeed be very shortsighted.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I heard from a reliable source yesterday that the rumour is true, and that WPBA players can not be streamed.

Consider this as a bump so someone within the WPBA can answer, for example AZHousePro or SJM (board members)

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Since it is being questioned whether the match between J. Lee and VV can be streamed or not, I thought it was time for another bump

poolsnark

Clique Wannabe
Silver Member
poolsnark...Not trying to nit pick here, but neither Cristina, nor Heather, are WPBA tour players. They are regional tour players, who have earned the right to participate in one, or more, WPBA events...but neither of them have WPBA touring status.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Heather's on the tour. She earned her 1 year exemption last year by finishing in the Top 40.

Firecracker

aka Crackalackin
Silver Member
Speaking from when I played occassionally, exemptions were needed in order to play in non-WPBA events. I would guess that streaming at a non-sanctioned event would be a conflict of interest with the WPBA. If you can see players elsewhere for free, why would you pay money to watch the WPBA streaming events. As to OB Cues streaming, it is a WPBA regional tour. It does not feature the top pros playing on the streams, it is generally just the up and coming players.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Speaking from when I played occassionally, exemptions were needed in order to play in non-WPBA events. I would guess that streaming at a non-sanctioned event would be a conflict of interest with the WPBA. If you can see players elsewhere for free, why would you pay money to watch the WPBA streaming events. As to OB Cues streaming, it is a WPBA regional tour. It does not feature the top pros playing on the streams, it is generally just the up and coming players.

WPBA does not charge for their streams. They are sponsored by Pool Dawg and shown for free.

Keeping players out of any spotlight however dim when you only have six events and do not even stream them all is absolutely baffling to me.

I am guessing Ga Young, XTP, Yu Ram and the other players with TV appearances in other countries either do not put up with this or have not signed away their media rights or are they not "touring" members either?

Firecracker

aka Crackalackin
Silver Member
WPBA does not charge for their streams. They are sponsored by Pool Dawg and shown for free.

Keeping players out of any spotlight however dim when you only have six events and do not even stream them all is absolutely baffling to me.

I am guessing Ga Young, XTP, Yu Ram and the other players with TV appearances in other countries either do not put up with this or have not signed away their media rights or are they not "touring" members either?

Pool Dawg is sponsoring so that there is no charge to fans, just like watching ESPN on TV, but I would imagine the WPBA does receive some kind of incentive for this exposure.

It's been several years since I played, but I know that they were alot more lax with the overseas exposure and it seemed to be a point of contention with the ladies in the States.

I did not care for all of the politics of the WPBA when I played and that was part of the reason I chose to no longer actively pursue that path.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I would like to read more info on this. If X Pan and crew frow outside the US that should be owened lock stock and barrel too by the WPBA are allowed to be on TV and overseas streams then if an American pro on the WPBA tour played in another country it would be alright to be on tv and stream W/O any permission? I would hope so. The WPBA is going to put themselfs under with their high prices, rules, and media contracts. Johnnyt

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Pool Dawg is sponsoring so that there is no charge to fans, just like watching ESPN on TV, but I would imagine the WPBA does receive some kind of incentive for this exposure.

It's been several years since I played, but I know that they were alot more lax with the overseas exposure and it seemed to be a point of contention with the ladies in the States.

I did not care for all of the politics of the WPBA when I played and that was part of the reason I chose to no longer actively pursue that path.

By having Pool Dawg sponsor the stream the WPBA does receive an incentive. The stream itself. Somebody has to pay for someone to bring gear and run the stream. We tried to do it via a Pay Per View model and it did not work. In this case Pool Dawg stepped up to cover the cost of production.

I agree with you 110% on the politics.