YOUR greatest shot ever.....

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've all seen Tony Chohan's one pocket jump-kick-bank shot and Efren's....well.....Efren's million plus mind boggling shots. But, what is the greatest, most creative, million-to-one shot that YOU'VE come up with and pulled off flawlessly? Luck doesn't count. You have to have planned the outcome and pulled it off. I genuinely have no clue how to post photos or diagrams or sketches of such things so someone will have to explain how to do that. But....it would be an interesting conversation I think. Would be interesting to diagram the layout, then see if people can figure out what YOU did that should be included in the greatest shots of all time archives.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the greatest shot for me but a defining moment.
Back in the early 60's as a 16 year old the norm for me was 14.1 $1.00 to $3.00 a game plus time.
$.50 to $1.00 a game 9 ball.
$.25 a way Chicago.
An older guy asked me to play a race to 5 9 ball for $25.00 which at the time for me was a huge bet.
And I didn't have the $25.00 had I lost.
I won the set and to this day I remember my winning 9 ball shot which was a 45 degree 2 foot shot into the right hand corner pocket.
I've been playing for 61 years and I still remember that one.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I’ll play but I don’t have some fancy app to draw up so I put it on paper. Hope you don’t mind.

Playing 8 ball last pocket on a Valley. I’m stripes needing my last ball. Opponent plays safe leaving me $hit.

Attachments

• 7D01002B-9A26-4EAC-80D2-66FC7AFD2088.jpeg
    7D01002B-9A26-4EAC-80D2-66FC7AFD2088.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 191

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't know. scramble shots are fun to master. i was well up on my opponent in 1p when he made a comeback, i needed two he needed one in the (now uptable) game and he left me froze on the top rail with the only two remaining balls on his side of the high side rail about 1.5 diamonds above the side pocket. i jacked up and scrambled them both diagonally to my pocket (carom + carom bank) for the win. i had learned that shot from ike runnels.

i've also made a five railer into a nine-ball combo for the win once. but most shots i remember and care about are one pocket shots. one pocket to me is the best test of skill and by far the most interesting game.

Reactions: Pin

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
League match guy had no shot on the 8 played safe.

Curved it perfect, straight for the 8 and win
Highly demoralizing my opponent
Lot of fun lol

Screenshot_2022-01-01-11-32-18-665.jpg

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was playing in a bar table 8 ball tournament in Iowa, maybe 2018. Ronnie Alcano was in the field. I was playing him a race to 8. I was totally lost. There was a small group of people watching the match (to see Ronnie, not me). It was 1-1 and I ran down my solids but missed all of my break out attempts at the 8 ball. Things looked grim:

1641058951295.png

So I asked myself "Where will the 8 ball go if I hit it?" It seemed that it would hit the side rail and rebound into the 9 ball. It might even catch the 9 about half full and roll towards the lower side rail. It occurred to me it might even bank towards the upper left hand pocket. So then I asked "Could I ever play it there?" At first the answer was no, because the 15 was in the way. Then I realized that I had to elevate and draw my cue ball to avoid scratching in the side, so there was a chance the cue ball would clear the pocket.

1641059093062.png

I called the 8 ball in the upper left corner and hit the shot. All I wanted to do is have the 8 hit half the 9 and come across table and give it a chance. But wouldn't you know it?!? It went down EXACTLY like I had envisioned. The 8 banked, caromed, banked again, and was heading straight towards the top left corner. It looked like it was going to hit the 15 but the cue ball swept into it first. Both the cue ball and the 15 nearly hit the 8 but they somehow parted like the Red Sea and the 8 ball hit the center of the pocket.

Things got a little wild. Ronnie and I were just laughing about it, and we all stopped for a minute and shook our heads. It only got weirder. I went on to beat Ronnie 8-1 that set. Then I later played him on the loser side and won 8-0. In an alternate the break format! Somehow after making that shot everything went my way for the rest of the match.

I've seen a lot of great shots and made my share, but for me that was my most memorable Hail Mary.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1641060004484.png

I was playing 1 pocket, and had the top right pocket,
I needed all 3 and ran out.
I had been messing with a very similar shot, a week or so before, and had discovered, that if you hit ball first, on the 1 ball bank , there is a high liklihood of a kiss, coming out of the corner where your pocket is , playing 3 rail shape on the other 2 balls.
I had found that if I played it rail first, I beat the kiss easily. So that was how I played it

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you explain to me how to use those diagraming things? I'm not overly computer literate.

I'm not the best at technology but I've learned a few things. One is that it works best from a computer, not a phone.

You can drag balls onto the table, select 'lines' and created lines for the cue ball and object balls.

To screen shot you can right click and select 'take screen shot', select your size, then hit 'copy'. Now when you paste you'll paste the image.

You can also hit 'save diagram'. When you do so and 'save pgn' you'll notice that the original url has changed in your browser. If you copy that url you can not only link the diagram, you can link the page where other people can edit it as well. I do this with my private training group, I link a diagram and have them follow the link to edit their own answers to my questions.

Play with it and enjoy!

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So....playing in a 10 ball event, call all shots. I broke...this is what I had left. What did I do? Hint: I won the game on the next shot.

1641061760863.png

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the greatest shot for me but a defining moment.
Back in the early 60's as a 16 year old the norm for me was 14.1 $1.00 to $3.00 a game plus time.
$.50 to $1.00 a game 9 ball.
$.25 a way Chicago.
An older guy asked me to play a race to 5 9 ball for $25.00 which at the time for me was a huge bet.
And I didn't have the $25.00 had I lost.
I won the set and to this day I remember my winning 9 ball shot which was a 45 degree 2 foot shot into the right hand corner pocket.
I've been playing for 61 years and I still remember that one.
Yes, certain matches, particular times and places bring back particular shots that won or lost a game.
We've all made fantastic shots. It's when you're locked up against a real challenge and make one that's memorable.
Particularly when it changes the mood of the match.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I have a lot of great shots I missed. One in particular against Ray Martin.
It was so bad, I laughed, he chuckled, all the spectators laughed.
It was hill, hill, ,,,I lost.
The only time I was ok with losing, I still laugh.

I was dead straight on the 8 ball, stretched out.
Cue ball and 8 were seperated about 3 inches, just off the long rail about 2 inches, 9 ball is on the back rail on the brunswick emblem.
Stretched out I pocket the 8 with a nip draw. ( Easy Shot ) I pull my cue out of the way, I don't know how it happened, but I stroked it forward again, pocketing the cue ball with the 8.
Just shot that damm cue ball straight in.