Pictures of hackwork section!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
nice looking CLASSIC is it the 6 legged one or the 4?
i had one a 9' one a while back ....bought it for 500.00 played on it for 4 years and then sold it for 3000.00
mine had a deep shelf and played very tough......
scott

Thanks brother. Its a four legged, oversized 8ft....I got it for 900 with a nice cover...definately felt like I stole it. I had access to similar priced better tables but it was distance and transportation. I got lucky and found it on craigs list an hour after the lady put it up for sale. She had another offer but since I was first it was mine. I gave her 300 deposit took it apart and stacked everything neat, went offshore next day for two weeks and came in with the 600 and wala. Nice woman pleasure doing buisness with her. Its not a GC but all in all its a nice table and with some work she's going to play great. I do have a question for you do you know when they manufactured that line of table??? I know its not old was just looking to find info on it and has been somewhat difficult.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Stick a pipe in your mouth, hit it and relax...intelligence is matched by stupidity

You know someone gave me some rep for my post on this thread complimenting me for a good and non-combative post. I was happy at the observation.

A normal guy like me can't even come on here and say something nice to someone or about them without getting at least half-a** attacked. I mean OTLB does some neat work, then gets ripped about it, and then we basically see someone who was ripping the work/technique claim it was their technique 20 years ago. So whatever doesn't work for you for sure can not and must not work for others....what a wonderful mythical pumped up universe....that not just one person on here, but many people subscribe and make up everyday.

WTF are some of you on here trying to prove??? In all actuality who cares??? Why do so many people on this forum insist on puffing up their chests and playing d*#k games. Is it that this is your sole existance in life? I'm not passing judgement, I'm just trying to understand why we see this B.S. everyday. Some of you are LEADERS...well at least you try and moonlight as one in the industry. Leaders don't act like that because people, normal people don't act like that. I love this sport with all of my heart and believe me I got plenty to give, but if this is the sort that is just going to become more and more prolific in this facet of life...then to hell with pool I'll start running again, maybe bike, maybe even play golf.

Of course we are going to disagree on things, but as im sure this phrase has been heard before...you don't have to act like little girls.

NOW hell its sad and pisses me off even more that I have to waist my time and play baby sitter...sittin here trying to give some great advice and I almost burnt my food!! Now that I don't like, I'm a bad ass in the kitchen and just like Glen does amazing table work and don't put up with half-asd work in the kitchen neither do I. That is how immature this is.

People do come on here just to LEARN, and seriously alot of people get turned off because of this. These things affect us all and only in a negative way to others, especially joe the plumber just stopping in to learn to play or work on a table better. Now joe hears all this junk and just runs for the hills. Now joe can't do a descent job on a descent table....and then get bit by the bug an buy a 7K dollar table and have OTLB or Glen or someone like that do the install....bye bye fictional joe and your money in this industry.

I meant my post with my rail pic to be as "uncombative" as it could be...for I spent much time doing it right...or at least as right as I could with out a thousand gadgets and two dozen collection of levels. I wanted to show my DIY "HACK" job (which anyone who says that rail looks bad can go crawl into a cave, and she's gonna play you better believe) I just was proud of just the first part that I accomplished, and maybe some kid sees Greyghosts pic and post and he feels like he can do something like that. It's not rocket science like some people try and make you believe. I'm pretty sure anyone can do any of this with good info and just common sense. No one here is GOD so stop throwing rocks at everyone.

Some one here once sent me a pm saying dang man i like your posts but only 7 in 3 years....its because I didn't want to get dragged into the s**t storm on this forum. Gossip, rumors, lies....so much negativity here it saddens me. You would think with such great knowledge here and the fact that pool is and has been in a very sad state for along time. Why instead of always crying and *****in don't you use your self to do something real, something that matters. You know who I respect guys...Marcus Norwood guy started an afterschool program for kids in Houston. You know what's sad? When you got alot of respect for another mans work because he is great at it, and you admire that work and say hey I could do that. Hell I bend 100 line racks in SS tubing do order changes CRazy stuff its hella math and brother if you seen some of the work I've done on a rig...glitters like diamonds...and the fact that I'm making everything work on that place. But I'm getting off topic. You see how easy it is to just puff a bird chest up. Yea I'm fantastic at what I do and I make great money, mostly because I come from a good blood line (lucky) and I learned from the best and always help greenhorns out there. Its not their fault they dont know, but its mine if I don't show them because they could kill me or themselves if I dont. Its also flattering when people come to you and ask you because they know you will take your time to show them right not cut them down just teach them something...kinda like they used to do in school. I try and set a good example, and instead of getting just an inkling of dam thats not bad brother...get her done wish ya luck, hope the project turns out nice. A dam Silver star on my report card....cant have any of the gold ones certain people keep them for themselves as ultimate judges, holier and smarter than tho junk. What ever you can do and I can't bet there's a few more things I can do that you never heard of, its just a stuip little kids arbitrary bark, or maybe just a meeow!

I just hear more B.S. and its been old long before some of you here mastered it. I mean its not like I'm asking for something Universally Time/Space Fabric Warping like "JUST BE NICE, YA AINT GOT NOTHING NICE TO SAY THEN STFU!

I'm going meet that dam chicken who crossed the road, why chicken why did you travel across the treacherous road?

Rooster to G.G. - Man all i wanted to do is go COCK-A-DOODLE-DO over there, but only the CROWS were hanging around.

This is not a post to humiliate, put down or anything negative. I just want to show another view maybe that someone just never stopped to think all this affects us all negatively, it humiliating our sport and industry. I'm ashamed because I sat here for 5 years mostly just reading and never said nothing. Now I have and I'm sure it won't make a mark at all. Said my peace do with it what you want.

Play nice,
Greyghost

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This is the simplest way to put this with a true story,

Mike Seigel met a 14 year old kid once met at a pool hall, he was signing autographs taking pics the whole nine yards. Well kid meets him and little guy is off the air ya know. Tells Mike, "Mr. Seigel when I grow up I want to play pool just like you." Seigel says, "Kid no matter how hard you try your never going to play pool like me."

Thats not a hero, thats a zero in my book and If I'd owned that pool hall and heard him or any top player say that to a kid, I'd put my steel toed boot so far up his a** he'd be running to catch that chicken across the road.

Brett Farve, Cal Ripken....highly respected and highly ranked on any list by anyone and none of it has to do with how one throws or catches. Respect is earned, and I don't think respect is something you earn on a pool table, shooting on it or fixing it.

Hope we can all get together on the differing issues in OUR sport...because its wonderful and has been around long before us and will be long after we are gone. The game of kings that was such the great equalizer that paupers can now play along side of them and win. Like the great quote, "There is no royal way to learning"

These few posts are an attempt to resolve an issue that most definately holds many parts of the industry and game back...and we must move forward not redlined in reverse half the time. The engine that is the sport is so strong is takes us almost unknowingly trying to destroy it...man how hard do things gotta get before people change, ME, YOU, And even you sitting over in the corner being quiet not getting in the mess. If your not helping then your hurting and I don't want to sit in my quiet chair anymore.

Maybe I'm just a oilfield worker, maybe I'm just another player, maybe I'm the Kind of Spain, or maybe I'm not crazy and just a normal sensable fellow.

To the future...may it change for the better,
Grey Ghost

Well there you go challenging me again.

I could care less really, right now I am trying to figure out how to get 1100 balls on a pool table. Looks like everyone gave up but not me

If you want to start making comparisons I will send you my resume

Man it's really old reading all the negative things you have to say.
If you don't care as you say you don't, why are you always trying
to compare what you do, or what your thoughts are. If Glen, and others
think glueing cloth down is a better way, and you don't care
then why knock it?

I think more than anything you just don't like other people
thinking Glen is a great mechanic, and you are not.

I just don't understand why you try so hard to cross everyone.
Just do what you do, and let others do what they do.

If you're a top mechanic working on pool tables, that should be
good enough for you. Leave it at that, don't keep on with well what about
this and what about that.

You don't have to blow your own horn, if you have one someone will blow the horn for you.

Mark Gregory

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
The good, the bad, and the WTF did he just say?!?!

There's been alot of good times and good info from a variety of members over the years, and there has always been some that just come and go, and then there are the opposite sides of the fence that no matter how good someone is, or how bad they may be, it is never going to matchup. There is always going to be someone that has a way to improve up on how you do it, or remembers the errors they did when they tried it in the past.
The end result should still be one thing, regardless of method or madness.... customer satisfaction and personal satisfaction in a job well done.
Regardless of if you use Glue, Staples, Tack strips, prefer Tour Edition over Simonis or vice versa, IT'S THE END RESULT AND HOW WE REPRESENT OURSELF that people will remember.
I'm guilty of egging it on, and I don't bother to deny it, because at times you can see the amusement it creates for all involved. Then sometimes it's just the wrong day to say the wrong thing.
If we could find a way to combine mutual knowledge to pass out and share among the new comers or even someone that has a question about an idea but is afraid to post it.
I don't care.
I was doing tables before I found AZ, and I'll still be doing tables down the road, and probably still for a fair amount of the members of the forums. Or their friends. or their poolroom. Or someone that was referred as a result of one of the above.
Regardless, when I finish I will have done everything in my knowledge to improve upon the previous condition and gone out of my way to make some new friends in the process.
Reputation isn't measured by how many green squares you have by your name- it's measured by the amount of people that believe in your ability enough to tell someone else.
Glen has spent years building his rep through alot of different parts of the country, as a result he's considered an industry leader.
Dartman has built a reputation based upon ability and integrity that people have come to know him from.
OTLB may not run the highways as much, but he's obviously done his job well enough to establish a growing area over the years before joining the forums.
Craig, Donny, Pat and a whole lot of others are out there and doing great work, and doing it quietly.
But the word still spreads, and they still get phone calls.
If I think of Southern California and Dave and Busters in the same sentence, I automatically think of Donny and the changes he's made, and the impression he leaves behind him.
Everytime I drive by one out here, it reminds me that i haven't called and said "hi" in a few months. Sorry Donny, I'm slipping in my old age...lol
But the one thing that I can say about everyone I've mentioned above....they will not accept less than their best in any job.
They go there with the intention of making this job the best table they have ever done, even if it's in some subtle hidden way that only they know about.
And they are willing to offer pointers to someone that has hit a stumbling block that they themselves have run into in the past.

That is the heart and soul of our little corner of the internet, and when opportunity allows it, it seems that every meeting between members has gone great and everyone leaves a little bit richer with knowledge or ideas.
Glen is working towards something that is mutually beneficial for all Mechanics. And somewhat less than condusive toward the longevity of the hacks that are still trying to screw things up.
John, if you and Glen ever sat down and did some brainstorming,
I have no doubts that you two would be dangerous!
Although at the moment, I'm not sure about locking the two of you in the same room.....
Enough of the *****ing, I've been up for over 30 hours and I have to get some more work done today, and I hope that by the time this crazy weekend is over, that we can be back to normal doing what we do-
Providing info that is deserving of the cream of the crop, showing off the latest work and repairs, and of course, my personal favorite.....
Sharing the latest finds of hackwork-(via pictures,of course;))
Now, everyone has a big Jimmy, so can we get back on course to what brought us all here to begin with?
And I'm not just talking about Glen's videos from Simonis!lol:wink:

Perfectpockets and GreyGhost are 100% right..... so to quote someone badly..."Can't we all just get along?!"
Hope everyone is having a great weekend, and that there were plenty of photo ops in the process!

(AND that there isn't any of you trying to match up with my hours so far....trust me. It gets old)

Sorry guys, but you know me, when I get my teeth into something, i have a hard time letting go...lol

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is the simplest way to put this with a true story,

Mike Seigel met a 14 year old kid once met at a pool hall, he was signing autographs taking pics the whole nine yards. Well kid meets him and little guy is off the air ya know. Tells Mike, "Mr. Seigel when I grow up I want to play pool just like you." Seigel says, "Kid no matter how hard you try your never going to play pool like me."

Thats not a hero, thats a zero in my book and If I'd owned that pool hall and heard him or any top player say that to a kid, I'd put my steel toed boot so far up his a** he'd be running to catch that chicken across the road.

Brett Farve, Cal Ripken....highly respected and highly ranked on any list by anyone and none of it has to do with how one throws or catches. Respect is earned, and I don't think respect is something you earn on a pool table, shooting on it or fixing it.

Hope we can all get together on the differing issues in OUR sport...because its wonderful and has been around long before us and will be long after we are gone. The game of kings that was such the great equalizer that paupers can now play along side of them and win. Like the great quote, "There is no royal way to learning"

These few posts are an attempt to resolve an issue that most definately holds many parts of the industry and game back...and we must move forward not redlined in reverse half the time. The engine that is the sport is so strong is takes us almost unknowingly trying to destroy it...man how hard do things gotta get before people change, ME, YOU, And even you sitting over in the corner being quiet not getting in the mess. If your not helping then your hurting and I don't want to sit in my quiet chair anymore.

Maybe I'm just a oilfield worker, maybe I'm just another player, maybe I'm the Kind of Spain, or maybe I'm not crazy and just a normal sensable fellow.

To the future...may it change for the better,
Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost, I think you've been smelling a little to much burnt chicken lately:D:p

Glen

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Did someone say Chicken! Where's Ray, I'm ready for a game!:wink:

Is this him? I saw that fowl bird last night...he was in San Diego last I heard

Attachments

• sd-chicken.jpg
    sd-chicken.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,385

NeverLevel

Registered
Snapped a couple phone pics of an Olhausen today where the previous mechanic couldn't decide how he wanted to fill the slate screw holes. For the four in the center of the table on each seam they went with plaster for one hole and bees wax for the other. Then for the two on each end they used duct tape.

Attachments

• duct tape slate screw.jpg
    duct tape slate screw.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,483
  • bees wax and plaster.jpg
    bees wax and plaster.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,567

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Is this him? I saw that fowl bird last night...he was in San Diego last I heard

That's exactly who I was looking for!
Now I understand why his bedfelt was so loose, and why the featherstrips were all broken.....
It suddenly all makes sense;)

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
haha haha

That's exactly who I was looking for!
Now I understand why his bedfelt was so loose, and why the featherstrips were all broken.....
It suddenly all makes sense;)

Now thats funny, he is probably not going to be around my parts any time soon, down here in the sportsmans paradise we say "if it fly's it dies!"

Cock-a-doodle-do,
Grey Ghost

JZMechanix

Silver Member
More Hackwork

Looks innocent enough so far... :grin:
IMG_2985.jpg

Getting worse :(
IMG_2989.jpg

Starting to get pissed now... :angry:
IMG_2991.jpg

This is BULL_ _ _ _ !! :eek:
IMG_2984.jpg

As luck would have it, these were of course from a 9' table

IMG_3041.jpg

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Jack, unfortunately this kind of lazy ass work has been part of our world since day one. Great job cleaning up behind the last lazy SOB's that worked on that table. Show the customer what you had to go through so he can appreciate a job done correctly.

Jay

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Do you believe in karma?? Because would you possibly believe that the table I refelted the next day had NO :eek: staples holding the rail cloth on! Yep you guessed it, SPRAY GLUE :thumbup: Just when you think you've seen it all...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Looks innocent enough so far... :grin:
View attachment 106633

Getting worse :(
View attachment 106634

Starting to get pissed now... :angry:
View attachment 106635

This is BULL_ _ _ _ !! :eek:
View attachment 106636

As luck would have it, these were of course from a 9' table

View attachment 106637

If it wasn't a Brunswick, I'd have thought you ran into one of the Diamonds at a Fox & Hounds somewhere:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

I'd rather the last "HACK" have to EAT every staple you had to pull!!!

Glen