Pictures of hackwork section!

OTLB

Banned
these are pics from the other rails that I posted in a related thread. Customer had wanted pockets tightened but complained they were not cut straight etc. screws on back sode of plate were left sticking up higher than rail so it had no chance of being flat when tightened. They also contributed to the funny sound of the rails the customer complained to me about. As usual pocket inserts were nearly destroyed.

Attachments

• MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,366
  • MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,400
  • MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,399

OTLB

Banned
forgot I had another beauty to repair this week, no big deal but sometimes even the manufacturers are hacks.

Attachments

• MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,405
Last edited:

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Man Otlb that first one is a classic and the second photo is true rookie style. Looks like you had some fun ahead of you. Extra hour here extra hour there.

Craig

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Bad enough getting to fix mistakes made somewhere after the table was done, but the manufacturer?! I can say this, I've NEVER seen a Diamond come out like that....I think a certain Cobra type would have conniptions if it ever did!lol
And those last rails are so smoooth and sleek and aerodynamically challenged to the point of confusion. Makes ya want to go in and say "Smile, you're on candid camera!"

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Bad enough getting to fix mistakes made somewhere after the table was done, but the manufacturer?! I can say this, I've NEVER seen a Diamond come out like that....I think a certain Cobra type would have conniptions if it ever did!lol
And those last rails are so smoooth and sleek and aerodynamically challenged to the point of confusion. Makes ya want to go in and say "Smile, you're on candid camera!"

Diamond has made mistakes in the past, the difference is that Diamond is quick to correct the problem...instead of ignoring it as if they don't care! And Diamond listens to the customer's and mechanic's feed back, as they DO care!

Glen

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Diamond has made mistakes in the past, the difference is that Diamond is quick to correct the problem...instead of ignoring it as if they don't care! And Diamond listens to the customer's and mechanic's feed back, as they DO care!

Glen

Now that you mention it..... I did see a slight shadowing on the rail from a place with 10 Diamonds down the road from me.....

I guess that they are just going to have to pick up the quality control a lil bit....I mean- 60 rails in one room and one isn't dead perfect?
I may have to pick up the phone:wink:lol:grin:

But that was my point. And since they do almost all of the work at the factory, which is something that no other company that I can think of is able to do, they pretty much have to to stay on their tolerances. They got a rep to protect!

OTLB

Banned
well, yet another fun job for me. This is a first for me and I have never seen a feather strip table done with just staples, thats right no feather strip

Attachments

• MVC-031F.JPG
    MVC-031F.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,403
  • MVC-032F.JPG
    MVC-032F.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,324

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Now I'm not sure if this qualifies as hack work, but I'll throw it on here anyway. You'll see what I mean. So we move, setup and recover a 7' AMF today. I'm not totally sure, but they might have filmed the movie Friday on the porch of the house we moved the table from.

So we get to the new house and start stripping rails to cover. First one I get stripped, I see this:

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0058.jpg

Rubber is puckered on top and the wood on top of the rail between the rubber and the feather strip is split a little. I roll it over and see what looks like a nail hole:

DSCN0059.jpg

Apparently the previous mech refastened a loose spot in the rubber with a nail and bust it up through the top. So proceed to pull the rubber off that spot to remove the nail and properly re-glue the loose spot. Wait a minute...that's not a nail...

DSCN0062.jpg

Some kind of chunk of metal imbedded in the rail. Was in there pretty good too...eventually got it out...

DSCN0064.jpg

And here's a little size perspective...

DSCN0065.jpg

So strictly based on the neighborhood the table came out of, Don and I made our sarcastic guesses, but when the customer came downstairs (I'm sure to see what the laughing and camera flash was all about) she did confirm that yes, this pool table had been shot. In 10 years in this business, I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever pulled a bullet out of a rail.

Hack work? Possibly not. Post-worthy? DEFINITELY!!!

OTLB

Banned
another table I did this week. It was on the second floor in a house in the Hamptons. up 16 stairs then a left corner up 4 more stairs to room. Reason I am posting it in the hack section is because whoever shipped the table left the top, and bottom of the frame with legs attached not broken down. My customer had the movers carry these entire sections up and over the railings, it was just crazy. I couldn't beleive it. I hate hack jobs from movers and with this table they could have easily damaged it. Guy had mega millions and bought it off craigslist( I am embarrassed that I didn't find it).

I usually break the top apart but didn't this time.

For your enjoyment I have also included one of my unique mech tools in the picture.

Attachments

• MVC-049F.JPG
    MVC-049F.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,137
Last edited:

OTLB

Banned
yesterday I was setting up a new table made from logs. NOT exactly my style but it looked cool in this guys house. Reason for posting in hack section is that some tables are made to look nice only. This one had to have the legs screwed and glued(they even gave you a bottle of gorilla glue). No big deal and then I am looking at the buffalo nickel rails and see that they don't have any facings. How could a company sell a high dollar table and NOT cover this simple detail, to me that qualified them for the hack section. Then it had red felt.

Attachments

• MVC-070F.JPG
    MVC-070F.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,085
  • MVC-071F.JPG
    MVC-071F.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,089
  • MVC-072F.JPG
    MVC-072F.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,085

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
another table I did this week. It was on the second floor in a house in the Hamptons. up 16 stairs then a left corner up 4 more stairs to room. Reason I am posting it in the hack section is because whoever shipped the table left the top, and bottom of the frame with legs attached not broken down. My customer had the movers carry these entire sections up and over the railings, it was just crazy. I couldn't beleive it. I hate hack jobs from movers and with this table they could have easily damaged it. Guy had mega millions and bought it off craigslist( I am embarrassed that I didn't find it).

I usually break the top apart but didn't this time.

For your enjoyment I have also included one of my unique mech tools in the picture.

Hey John,

Did this table have a ball return system? Do you know if this table came from Bedford NH? I have a very good reason for asking.

Thanks
Jay

OTLB

Banned
HI Jay,

it is a drop pocket table and was purchased from MN. is there someone up there that makes this type of table?

OTLB

Banned
yes the centennial went very well and the owner was happy. That table came from FL and was drop pocket. sorry it was early and I just thought he was following my other post.

Ok so now I have to look where for that centennial Jay?
thanks John

Last edited: