Who else qualified for the 2009 US Amateur in Florida???

BBBrock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did......just barely. Played Bruce Choyce, 2003 US am Champion, in the finals. In a race to 11 playing 8 games of 8-ball and 13 games of 9-ball we started with eight ball and I didn't get out of my chair for the first three racks. I ended up down 3-5 after the 8 games of 8-ball. Then we started 9-ball...got a few rolls.....played a couple good safties....won the next 7 in a row. I'm on the hill - he needs six. I don't get to the table much as he wakes up and turn it on. At one point I did take a swipe at a 5-9 combo and just barely missed. Bruce played very well had a 9-ball break and the next thing I know it's hill-hill. He breaks and leaves the 9 in the jaws and the 2-ball at that end of the table. Makes the one but comes up short for the combo so is forced to play a carom. Takes a big swipe at it and rattles it. I get to the table and play safe until I got a table I liked and ran 'em out.

It was a really fun day and to have the honor to play a Champion like Bruce, who by the way is not only a Champion on the table but a hell of a nice guy, I couldn't have asked for anything more.

SEE YA IN TAMPA!!!!!

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
Qualifier

Samm Diep qualified for the womens division in Denver CO this weekend. Congrats to your qualification as well.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Beating Choyce is an accomplishment. Congrats, you must play well.

Amy Poulter won the West Palm qualifier.

I also qualified to go to nationals but I am not sure who else qualified. They were still playing when I left.

BBBrock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samm Diep qualified for the womens division in Denver CO this weekend. Congrats to your qualification as well.

Cool it would be a treat to meet her. I always read her blogs and watch her interviews she seams like a real nice person.

Thanks for the congrats.

BBBrock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beating Choyce is an accomplishment. Congrats, you must play well.

Amy Poulter won the West Palm qualifier.

I also qualified to go to nationals but I am not sure who else qualified. They were still playing when I left.

Yeah it was a huge accomplishment for me. To just get on the table with him was an honor let alone play well enough to beat him. To his defense I don't think he played his best game the balls just kinda went my way.

I'm sure who Amy Poulter is but I wish her luck and congrats to you too uwate. We'll see you out there.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be playing in the qualifier in Gainesville this weekend. Hopefully, I'll do better than I did last year and make it to the nationals.

dragon81

Jaded Seoul =)
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will be attempting to win the qualifier this weekend in Gainesville. I was in Colorado this past week.
I hope I qualify again! I won the women's division in 2006 :)

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
What Amateur event are you speaking of?

And what is the criteria to 'qualify' as an amateur?

S.

BBBrock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be attempting to win the qualifier this weekend in Gainesville. I was in Colorado this past week.
I hope I qualify again! I won the women's division in 2006 :)

Oh that's awesome you won it 2006. Good luck this weekend hopefully we'll see you out there.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I qualified as well and in the same event as Brock.

Nice job beating Bruce and also a hats off to Bruce. He waited a long time to play and was down big. He battled back though. He came to the tournament table and I thought he was going to complain about the wait BUT he said thanks and that he LIVES and DREAMS about matches like his and Brocks. Pretty classy.

From our event the ones advancing were

Brock
Brian Parks
Al Moreno
Me

Debbie Nadeau
Liza (from orange county ca)

I am looking forward to going to Tampa. I went to Ct in 2003 and finished
9th. I am hoping to play well.

BBBrock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I qualified as well and in the same event as Brock.

Nice job beating Bruce and also a hats off to Bruce. He waited a long time to play and was down big. He battled back though. He came to the tournament table and I thought he was going to complain about the wait BUT he said thanks and that he LIVES and DREAMS about matches like his and Brocks. Pretty classy.

From our event the ones advancing were

Brock
Brian Parks
Al Moreno
Me

Debbie Nadeau
Liza (from orange county ca)

I am looking forward to going to Tampa. I went to Ct in 2003 and finished
9th. I am hoping to play well.

Hey congrats!!! What time did you guys finish because I left at 2am and you guys haddn't even started yet? Crazy. I would have fallen asleep on the table.

As for Bruce you're right he was all class. At one point in the match we were waiting for Bob to watch a hit. He knew it was a TOUGH hit and had he foulded it would have ment the match. He turn to me and said, "Hey no matter what happens here this has been a hell of a match and you're a great player." He didn't have to say anything but that's just the kind of guy he is. ALL CLASS.

1lostplayer

Son of Smorg
I work at Strokers in Tampa where event will be held. I was not able to play do to prior things. We did have 11 strong players make the cut including the room owner. 1 surprise was that the 2007 champ Jason Richko didnt make the cut he was beat out. Look forward to seeing you all there.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
My protege, Jeannie Vogelsang

My protege, Jeannie Vogelsang, qualified for the Tampa tourn by winning the tourn in Illinois. The tourney featured the best women players in the state. She beat Tina Larsen in the finals.

the Beard

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to hear such good thing about Bruce. He was in the mid-atlantic area when I was lil and I always though he was a fine dude and a damn solid player. Thumbs up!

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Wow, larsen, richko and choyce were all beat this weekened. Thats three former us amateur champions that were eliminated in the qualifiers. Especially Richko not making it when 11 others did...how did that happen? He must have had a bad draw and bad rolls. That guy plays great.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
My protege, Jeannie Vogelsang, qualified for the Tampa tourn by winning the tourn in Illinois. The tourney featured the best women players in the state. She beat Tina Larsen in the finals.

the Beard

Hi Freddie. I always wondered what happened to Jeannie. She attended Pool School many years ago. I always felt she had chance to play great.

Freddie, She's in good hands with you my friend. Please say hi to her from Randyg.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in Southington CT this past weekend. I didn't qualify, though I made it to the quarter- finals. I was very impressed with the players. There were 149 guys trying to qualify. They were all there to do it for the game (hmmmm...that seems very farmiliar) because all that is waiting for you is a free hotel room. The tournament was run great. Nice and smooth. Like I said, there were all gentlemen. I enjoyed my matches. Lost my first one to a guy I'm sure qualified, due to my own dopey-ness then won my next four, before losing. I was burnt out. But, all in all it was a good time. I would recommend that if you have one tournament a year to enter this could be it. You don't have the cutthroats there that you get in the regional events. There are some good players but all were gentlemen.

Bob