World PROFESSIONAL 9 Ball Pool Championship

HOB Weert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Doug,

Are you not worried that for example the EPBF will penalty their players if they play in this event when it clashes with one of the EPBF events?
I am not a an EPBF fan, and was hoping that a tournament like this would come, so that players will choose were they want to play, regardless the outcome or penalty the EPBF will give them.

A player has to be free to play in whatever event he likes to play.
The costs for sanctioning an event with the WPA or EPBF are crazy.

Good luck with the tournament.
Let me know if you need any help.

Maurice
House of Billiards Weert
Netherlands

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing Wrong At All!
Sorry but I am not one of the supporters of televised 10 Ball. People like Matchroom Sport have spent 15 years into educating viewers on the rules, tactics etc of 9 Ball.
There is more spectacle in 9 Ball. Break and runs, safety racks, intelligent combos, golden breaks all create variety. They make the viewer believe that he/she could play the game.
Of course, 10 Ball has it's disciples because 'it is a harder game'.
I say if you want a harder game then go and play snooker.
But it is television that drives the sport and TV moguls tend to like the status quo.

Well, you of all people should know how much the players are beginning to dislike 9-ball more and more. Wing ball going in 90% of the time, soft break making the game more and more of a gimmick etc.

I understand what you're saying though. I just think 9-ball is on it's way out or the rules need to changed DRASTICALLY.

I think some of the rules that corey deuel used in the recent UPL could definately be used in other formats. Especially the one where you can make your opponent shoot again if they get a lucky hook on you. I think that rule is genious and needs to be implemented immediately into pool. I mean why should I have to suffer for my opponents mistake? Make him shoot again and clean up his own bs.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I love the idea of potting all 9 balls for 9-ball (no combos or 9 on the break), but there should be some kind of reward. Either a monetary reward ($500ish) or ball-in-hand for early 9-balls. I play ball-in-hand for early 9-balls with friends and it's a great way to get the most out of every rack. It helps keep the opponent from feeling cheated on luck shots if nothing else.

9-ball with combos and 9-on-the-breaks is too easy for professional pool. Plenty of pros can string close to 8 racks on a good day.

I agree with you! I think that in both 9 and 10 ball that you should get ball in hand if you pot them ( they get spotted after the pot ).

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Well, you of all people should know how much the players are beginning to dislike 9-ball more and more. Wing ball going in 90% of the time, soft break making the game more and more of a gimmick etc.

I understand what you're saying though. I just think 9-ball is on it's way out or the rules need to changed DRASTICALLY.

Maybe some people in charge of rules should seriously think about racking the balls higher. Like having the nine on the spot. If it is going to effect the cloth then install a spot where the one ball has to be. Then maybe the soft break would not be effective. What do you think ?

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Doug,

Are you not worried that for example the EPBF will penalty their players if they play in this event when it clashes with one of the EPBF events?
I am not a an EPBF fan, and was hoping that a tournament like this would come, so that players will choose were they want to play, regardless the outcome or penalty the EPBF will give them.

A player has to be free to play in whatever event he likes to play.
The costs for sanctioning an event with the WPA or EPBF are crazy.

Good luck with the tournament.
Let me know if you need any help.

Maurice
House of Billiards Weert
Netherlands

The event does not clash with anything on the EPBF or the WPA calendar as of this moment.
The Euro Tour slated for 25th to 29th August has been moved back on the EPBF Calendar to 9th to 12th June. But this has not been updated on the WPA calendar. So there are no date clashes.
With this in mind why should any organisation (especially ones that are not player orientated) be able to stop PROFESSIONAL players from following their profession.
At the end of the day players will vote with their feet to where they want to play. For me, this is not a big political struggle, I just want the players to be free to choose their own destinies.

Maurice, thanks for your offer - we have 41 qualifying spots around the World with around a dozen in Europe. I am sure that your fine club would want to stage one or more of those. If that is the case then I will send you some paperwork relating to the qualifiers.

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
These are names from the Hotlist of Players who have been invited already (or are just about to be invited). If your name is there and you have not receive an invitation, this may because we have an outdated eMail or textphone number. If you do want to play then send your latest contact details to www.thewpppo@yahoo.com

AL JAWENI Naif Saudi
ALCAIDE David Spain
ALCANO Ronnie Philippines
APPLETON Darren England
ARCHER Johnny USA
BABICA Radoslaw Poland
BOYES Karl England
BRYANT Charlie USA
BUSTAMANTE Joven Philippines
BUSTAMANTE Francisco Philippines
CHA Yu Ram Korea
CHAMAT Marcus Sweden
CHANG Pei Wei Teipei
CHANG Jung Lin Teipei
CHAO Fang Pong Teipei
CHINAHKOV Rusian Russia
COHEN Stefan France
CONDO Lou Australia
CREVIER Francis Canada
DA LUNA Jeff Philippines
DAULTON Shannon USA
DAVIS Mike USA
DECHAINE Mike USA
DEUEL Corey USA
DOMINGUEZ Oscar USA
DRAGO Tony Malta
EDEY Tyler Canada
ENGERT Thomas Germany
FEIJEN Niels Netherlands
FISHER Allison England
FOLDES Vilmos Hungary
FU Jianbo China
GALLEGO Ramil Philippines
GOMEZ Roberto Philippines
GRAY Mark England
HARRIMAN Danny USA
HATCH Dennis USA
HIJIKATA Hayato Japan
HOHMANN Thorsten Germany
HUNDAL Raj India
HWA Jeong Korea
IMMONEN Mika Finland
JEONG Young Wa Korea
JONES Jeremy USA
JUVA Marcus Finland
KAWABATA Satoshi Japan
KIAMCO Warren Philippines
KO Ping Yi Teipei
LEE Kang Fung Taipei
LINING Antonio Philippines
LUAT Rudolfo Philippines
MAJID Imran England
MANALO Marlon Philippines
MORRIS Rodney USA
MURATORE Bruno Italy
NGUYEN Tuan Vietnam
OOI Naoyuki Japan
ORCOLLO Dennis Philippines
ORTMANN Oliver Germany
OUSCHEN Jasmine Austria
PAGULAYAN Alex Philippines
PEACH Daryl England
PETRONI Fabio Italy
PUTNIK Ivica Croatia
RELJIC Dave Australia
REYES Efren Philippines
SCHMIDT John USA
SHUFF Brandon USA
SOUQUET Ralf Germany
STRICKLAND Earl USA
THWEIB Zaid Jordan
TOT Sandor Bosnia
VAN BOENING Shane USA
VAN CORTEZA Lee Philippines
VAN DEN BERG Nick Netherlands
VETTAS Evangelos Greece
WILLIAMS Charlie USA
WU Chia Ching Singapore
YANG Chin Sheung Teipei

I know that some players have already confirmed. But if you have not then you should remember that there a regional quotas where there are more players invited than there are spots available. So if you delay your response then you may have to enter qualifiers to reach the final stages. You may also miss out on a Player Subsidy Payment.

I'm looking at this list (fine quality of players) & i've noticed they all are primarily 9-ball players. I'd suggest extending an invitation to Ronnie O'Sullivan, one of the all-time snooker greats. He has played 9-ball also, representing Europe on previous Mosconi Cup teams, even scoring a win ever Earl Strickland.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your name has turned up on this list then please send your contact details to wpppo@yahoo.com if you want information on this tournament or it's qualifiers

ACABA Edgar Philippines
AL AJEMI Abdullah Kuwait
AL HOWRI Hanni UAE
AL MUJAIBAL Naser Kuwait
AL MULLAH Tareq Kuwait
AL MURDI Meshari Kuwait
AL MUTARI Khaled Kuwait
AL SERKAL Omar UAE
ALBA Joven Philippines
ALCOBERRA David Spain
ALI KHASHAN Meshari Kuwait
ALWADI Bader Kuwait
ALWI Indonesia
AMIT Rubilen Philippines
ANDAM Leonardo Philippines
ANDERSON David South Africa
BARTRUM Chris USA
BEAUFILS Yannick France
BELKA Jakob Germany
BUDD Shaun Australia
CABELLO Carlos Spain
CIMMINO Gabriele Italy
CORR Karen N Ireland
CUATERRO Allan Philippines
DE FALCO Vittorio Italy
DIAZ Francisco Spain
DIDAL Leonardo Philippines
DIKS Rico Netherlands
DONLON Tommy N Ireland
DREMCZISIS Alexander Germany

FACQUET Vincent France
FISHER Kelly England
FOLAN Stephen England
NANULA Carmine Italy
FRANGIE Sam Lebanon
FRANK Troy USA
FUJIWARA Neil USA
FULCHER Jonni Scotland
FUTRELL Chris USA
GABICA Antonio Philippines
GEUZMANN Rafael Spain
GINN Anthony England
GRAY Mark England
GREEN Paul N Zealand

HALL Buddy USA
HARPER Corey USA
HAUGE Raymond Norway
HENRY Jimmy N Zealand
HERNANDEZ Frankie USA
HEUWAGEN Lee USA
HIGGINS Scott England
HILL Michael England
HOA Tang USA
HOGG Leon Australia
HOLTZ Pat Scotland
HOLTZ Mark Luxembourg
HOPKINS Allen USA
HOWARD David USA
HOYA Elmer Philippines
HYBLER Roman Czech Rep
JAHNKE Berndt Germany
JONES Richard England
JOURNATA Mohammad Indonesia
JOYNER Cliff USA
JUNGO Dimitri Switzerland
KAPLAN Tomas Poland
KELLY Julie Ireland
KENNEDY Tommy USA
KING Warren Australia
KIRKWOOD Jason USA
KLASOVIC Andreaj Slovenia
KRAH Matt USA
KRESSELL Larry USA
KRISTIANSEN Vegar Norway
KUCHARO Jon USA
KUMAR Alok India
LAPENA Albrecht Philippines
LAWLER Stuart Australia
LEBRON Mike USA
LEE Jeanette USA
LELY Alex Netherlands
LEPKE Bjoern Germany
LILLIS Steve USA
LOFTY Bahran Denmark
LOMBARDO Hunter USA
MARGOLA Georgio Italy
MASSEY Mike USA
MATJAZ Erculj Slovenia
MATTHEWS Grady USA
McCREADY Keith USA
MCINNES Ross Scotland
MCLAUGHLIN Paddy N Ireland
MELLING Chris England
MOORE Stevie USA
MORRIS Andrew Scotland
MUND Ralf Germany
MURPHY Austin USA
MUTAWE Saeed Al UAE
NEVEL Larry USA
OBAID Mohammad UAE
OCHAO Sylver USA
ODETA Jalal Jordan
OSBORNE Craig England
OTTERMAN Micolas Germany
OWEN Gabe USA
PALPUL Demosthenes Philippines
PARICA Jose Philippines
PASCATI David Italy
PENA Jharome Philippines
PIERCE Reed USA
PINEGAR Johnathen USA
PUTNAM Shawn USA
REIMERING Christian Germany
RELJIC Dave Australia
REMPE Jimmy USA
RENEMAR David Philippines
RIERA Emile Australia
ROBLES Tony USA
ROSCHOVSKY Andreas Germany
ROTA Israel Philippines
RUNNINGEN Beau USA
SAMBAJON Santos Philippines
SANCHEZ Danny Spain
SCHMIDT Michael Germany
SEE Huidji Netherlands
SHAVERDI Farhad Iran
SHAW Jayson Scotland
SIEFFERT Thomas Germany
SIGEL Mike USA
SMITH Kevin England
SMITH Johnathan USA
SNIEGROCKI Mateusz Poland
STALEV Eugeny Russia
STEPANOV Konstantine Russia
STOJANOVIC Philip Croatia
SYEED Ali UAE
TAKAYAMA Mike Philippines
TEGE Sacha Germany
TOKEPH Tommy USA
TOLENTINO Mario Philippines
TSCHUDI Marco Switzerland
TUCKER Lee England
UZZELL Kevin England
VALENTINE Michael Scotland
YOUNGER Johl Australia
YOUSSEF Abdullah Kuwait
ZENA Ricky Philippines

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
This sounds real cool and truly international, wish you all the success.
Shame there are not qualifiers like the IPT had.

"All 9 Balls must be potted to claim racks." does this mean no combos?

Maybe this should be made into a sticky before it gets moved to the tournament announcement section?

GL
Din

I think it means that the 9-ball is spotted back and no golden break.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
If your name has turned up on this list then please send your contact details to wpppo@yahoo.com if you want information on this tournament or it's qualifiers

ACABA Edgar Philippines
AL AJEMI Abdullah Kuwait
AL HOWRI Hanni UAE
AL MUJAIBAL Naser Kuwait
AL MULLAH Tareq Kuwait
AL MURDI Meshari Kuwait
AL MUTARI Khaled Kuwait
AL SERKAL Omar UAE
ALBA Joven Philippines
ALCOBERRA David Spain
ALI KHASHAN Meshari Kuwait
ALWADI Bader Kuwait
ALWI Indonesia
AMIT Rubilen Philippines
ANDAM Leonardo Philippines
ANDERSON David South Africa
BARTRUM Chris USA
BEAUFILS Yannick France
BELKA Jakob Germany
BUDD Shaun Australia
CABELLO Carlos Spain
CIMMINO Gabriele Italy
CORR Karen N Ireland
CUATERRO Allan Philippines
DE FALCO Vittorio Italy
DIAZ Francisco Spain
DIDAL Leonardo Philippines
DIKS Rico Netherlands
DONLON Tommy N Ireland
DREMCZISIS Alexander Germany

FACQUET Vincent France
FISHER Kelly England
FOLAN Stephen England
NANULA Carmine Italy
FRANGIE Sam Lebanon
FRANK Troy USA
FUJIWARA Neil USA
FULCHER Jonni Scotland
FUTRELL Chris USA
GABICA Antonio Philippines
GEUZMANN Rafael Spain
GINN Anthony England
GRAY Mark England
GREEN Paul N Zealand

HALL Buddy USA
HARPER Corey USA
HAUGE Raymond Norway
HENRY Jimmy N Zealand
HERNANDEZ Frankie USA
HEUWAGEN Lee USA
HIGGINS Scott England
HILL Michael England
HOA Tang USA
HOGG Leon Australia
HOLTZ Pat Scotland
HOLTZ Mark Luxembourg
HOPKINS Allen USA
HOWARD David USA
HOYA Elmer Philippines
HYBLER Roman Czech Rep
JAHNKE Berndt Germany
JONES Richard England
JOURNATA Mohammad Indonesia
JOYNER Cliff USA
JUNGO Dimitri Switzerland
KAPLAN Tomas Poland
KELLY Julie Ireland
KENNEDY Tommy USA
KING Warren Australia
KIRKWOOD Jason USA
KLASOVIC Andreaj Slovenia
KRAH Matt USA
KRESSELL Larry USA
KRISTIANSEN Vegar Norway
KUCHARO Jon USA
KUMAR Alok India
LAPENA Albrecht Philippines
LAWLER Stuart Australia
LEBRON Mike USA
LEE Jeanette USA
LELY Alex Netherlands
LEPKE Bjoern Germany
LILLIS Steve USA
LOFTY Bahran Denmark
LOMBARDO Hunter USA
MARGOLA Georgio Italy
MASSEY Mike USA
MATJAZ Erculj Slovenia
MATTHEWS Grady USA
McCREADY Keith USA
MCINNES Ross Scotland
MCLAUGHLIN Paddy N Ireland
MELLING Chris England
MOORE Stevie USA
MORRIS Andrew Scotland
MUND Ralf Germany
MURPHY Austin USA
MUTAWE Saeed Al UAE
NEVEL Larry USA
OBAID Mohammad UAE
OCHAO Sylver USA
ODETA Jalal Jordan
OSBORNE Craig England
OTTERMAN Micolas Germany
OWEN Gabe USA
PALPUL Demosthenes Philippines
PARICA Jose Philippines
PASCATI David Italy
PENA Jharome Philippines
PIERCE Reed USA
PINEGAR Johnathen USA
PUTNAM Shawn USA
REIMERING Christian Germany
RELJIC Dave Australia
REMPE Jimmy USA
RENEMAR David Philippines
RIERA Emile Australia
ROBLES Tony USA
ROSCHOVSKY Andreas Germany
ROTA Israel Philippines
RUNNINGEN Beau USA
SAMBAJON Santos Philippines
SANCHEZ Danny Spain
SCHMIDT Michael Germany
SEE Huidji Netherlands
SHAVERDI Farhad Iran
SHAW Jayson Scotland
SIEFFERT Thomas Germany
SIGEL Mike USA
SMITH Kevin England
SMITH Johnathan USA
SNIEGROCKI Mateusz Poland
STALEV Eugeny Russia
STEPANOV Konstantine Russia
STOJANOVIC Philip Croatia
SYEED Ali UAE
TAKAYAMA Mike Philippines
TEGE Sacha Germany
TOKEPH Tommy USA
TOLENTINO Mario Philippines
TSCHUDI Marco Switzerland
TUCKER Lee England
UZZELL Kevin England
VALENTINE Michael Scotland
YOUNGER Johl Australia
YOUSSEF Abdullah Kuwait
ZENA Ricky Philippines

WOW! I can't wait to see some of these players. This is what you call a real "SmorgassBored" of names.

I can see I am going to have to get some help with some of these names. I like to know how to pronounce a player's name correctly. Maybe Asbani from AZ can help me with the Middle Eastern Players names.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
These are names from the Hotlist of Players who have been invited already (or are just about to be invited). If your name is there and you have not receive an invitation, this may because we have an outdated eMail or textphone number. If you do want to play then send your latest contact details to www.thewpppo@yahoo.com

. . .

I see a lot of Taiwanese but none from China (mainland). I know it's stinky politics between Taiwan and China but be more cautious with their relationship.

I assume there will be contingents from African billiards federation. Can you post some information on them? Thanks

Last edited:

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW! I can't wait to see some of these players. This is what you call a real "SmorgassBored" of names.

I can see I am going to have to get some help with some of these names. I like to know how to pronounce a player's name correctly. Maybe Asbani from AZ can help me with the Middle Eastern Players names.

Joey, get me on the list for an easy name to pronounce. Almost as easy as John Smith.

-dan

:eek:

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member

Straight phonics will get you out 80% of the time.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nigeria? Really? Isn't this the country with a penchant for kidnapping people and holding them for ransom?

It's nice to see an event being held but, seriously, holding it in a place like Nigeria is going to get you nothing but skepticism about the validity of the event and the safety of the players involved.

Carolina Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the US State Department says about Nigeria

NIGERIA

July 17, 2009

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Nigeria and recommends avoiding all but essential travel to the Niger Delta states of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, and Rivers. Violent crime is a problem in Lagos and other large cities as well as on the roads between cities. Tension between some Muslim and Christian communities, and between ethnic groups, occasionally results in violence, but is not directed specifically against American citizens. This replaces the Travel Warning for Nigeria dated December 2, 2008, to note additional areas of military operations, violent activity, and crime in Nigeria.

American citizens should defer all but essential travel to the Niger Delta states of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, and Rivers because of the continued risks of kidnapping, robbery, and other armed attacks in these areas, especially against oil-related facilities and other infrastructure. A loose alliance of militant groups has conducted a number of attacks, mostly in Rivers state, against oil installations and posts of the Nigerian military’s Joint Task Force (JTF), which is attempting to close the militant camps. Since January 2008, over 54 foreign national oil workers or business people in parts of the Niger Delta region have been kidnapped from off-shore and land-based oil facilities, residential compounds, and public roadways, and similar incidents have occurred in several other parts of Nigeria. The Nigerian government considers militant camps and surrounding areas in the Delta region states of Delta, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, and Rivers to be conflict areas. In May 2009, the JTF began conducting larger-scale military activities against militant camps in Delta State that further heightened security concerns in the state. JTF operations could also begin in other parts of the Delta region as determined by the Nigerian Government. Travel by foreigners to these areas without prior consultation and coordination with local security authorities is not recommended, as the Nigerian Government may see this activity as inappropriate and potentially illegal. Nigerian authorities detained six American citizens, including journalists, on six separate occasions, in this same region in 2008. The Nigerian government interrogated these Americans for lengthy periods without bringing formal charges, and ultimately deported them. Journalists are required to obtain a special accreditation from the Ministry of Information prior to traveling to conflict areas in the Niger Delta region states. This special accreditation is in addition to the general press accreditation and valid Nigerian visa required to conduct such activities elsewhere in Nigeria.

Many foreign oil companies operating in the Niger Delta states of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, and Rivers have implemented “essential travel only” policies for their personnel. The U.S. Mission currently requires advance permission for U.S. Government travel to these states, as well as the states of Abia, Edo and Imo, given the safety and security risk assessments, and the U.S. Embassy or Consulate's limited ability to provide assistance to people detained by Nigerian authorities in these states. The incidence of kidnappings and other armed attacks is on the rise in Abia and Imo states. American citizens who are resident in these Niger Delta and southeastern states are advised to review their personal security in light of the information contained in this Travel Warning.

Violent crime committed by individuals and gangs, as well as by some persons wearing police and military uniforms, is an ongoing problem, especially at night. Crime is particularly acute in Lagos. Traveling outside of major cities during hours of darkness is not recommended due to both crime and road safety concerns. Visitors to Nigeria, including American citizens, have been victims of armed robbery on the airport roads from Lagos and Abuja during both daylight and nighttime hours. Some visitors and resident Americans have experienced armed muggings, assaults, burglary, kidnappings, and extortion, often involving violence, as well as carjackings, roadblock robberies, and armed break-ins.

Religious tension between some Muslim and Christian communities occasionally results in acts of isolated communal violence that could erupt quickly and without warning. So far, American citizens have not been directly targeted. The states of Kano, Kaduna and Plateau are particularly volatile. Rival ethnic groups have clashed violently in Delta state around Warri city and in North-Central Plateau state.

U.S. citizens who travel to or reside in Nigeria are strongly advised to register through the State Department’s travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs. Americans without Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

U.S. citizens should contact the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos for up-to-date information on any restrictions. The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is open Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is open Monday-Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The U.S. Embassy in Abuja can be contacted by phone at [234](9)461-4000. American citizens may contact the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos at [234(1)460-3600]. You may also visit the U.S. Mission’s website at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/.

U.S. citizens should also consult the Department of State's most recent Country Specific Information for Nigeria and the Worldwide Caution, which are located on the Department's web site at http://www.travel.state.gov. Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. and Canada, or by calling a regular toll line, 1-202-501-4444, from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).