World PROFESSIONAL 9 Ball Pool Championship

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Armed robbery at gun point is the most prevalent form of crime. A calm disposition and full cooperation with robbers is the best line of action in the unlikely event that you are the victim of a robbery. Robbers tend to become violent when victims try to pull tricks. Contact your embassy in Abuja and the police if you are robbed. Occasional pick pockets target mobile phones and wallets as well. Do not carry large amounts of cash. Usually, $250 cash (or N30,000) would more than suffice for impulsive purchases and other daily costs.

If that link was meant to make people safer about travelling there, this quote isn't helping. How was Nigeria chosen as the location for this event when there are a multitude of major centers worldwide without the negative stigmas associated?

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
A calm disposition and full cooperation with robbers is the best line of action in the unlikely event that you are the victim of a robbery.

They forgot to add that; "this doesn't concern Chuck Norris"

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THE WORLD PROFESSIONAL 9 BALL POOL CHAMPIONSHIP

Abuja, Nigeria 29 May to 6 June 2010
A Personal Message from Chief Otumba Abimbola Davis to all invited pool players.

I cannot tell you how much I am hoping to see you in Nigeria next year, especially here in Abuja, my City, my Country.

Abuja! I know you have been to many Cities of the world, many countries of the world, but I can
tell you have never been to a more hospitable country than Nigeria. It is a very interesting place.

The Government and I intend to make your visit so very interesting that some of you might want to consider relocation (Laugh).
I intend to take you round Abuja and its environs before the tournament proper.

Abuja has played host to several great Stars and Acts like yourselves - R. Kelly, Beyonce, Cool and the Gang, Wyclef, Shakira to mention few. They have returned their visits several times.

Yours will not be different too. We are setting up Committees to handle Hospitalities, Qualifying Tournaments, Publicity etc.

This is the little I can tell you about my country for now, I will be giving you more information from time to time, especially through our World Championship website for the tournament that will roll out soon.

Believe me, I can’t wait to take you in a fishing ride in the newly bought ‘Ship Hotel’ .

Worried about Security - you can be rest assured that you are safe in Nigeria, You shall be free to roam yet well protected by the best Nigeria can provide.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my friend and trusted ally, Doug Gordon for bringing you great Sports Stars to my beloved country.
My regards,
Davis

The City of Abuja, Nigeria
Abuja officially replaced Lagos as Nigeria's capital city in 1991. Geographically located in the centre of the country, it's referred to as the Federal Capital Territory. It is a purpose*built city with
modern infrastructures and amenities and the 2006 census put its population at 1.4 million.
The beauty of Abuja is in its breathtaking landscape, rolling hills, isolated highlands and gaps with
lowly dissected plains. Abuja is at its lowest in the south*west, and it's washed here by the Gurara
River at an elevation of 70 meters above sea level. The land then rises, irregularly, east* wards with
Bwari*Aso range, the Gurara range, and Idon Kasa range.rent too. . It is also dotted by isolated
inselbergs and its geography is defined by the Aso Rock, a 400 metre monolith left by water
erosion.
The Presidential Complex, National Assembly, Supreme Court and much of the town extend to the
south of the rock. "Aso" means "victorious" in the language of the (now displaced) Asokoro ("the
people of victory"). Abuja is a relatively new city as it was planned, built and developed mainly in
the 1980s with residents and visitors security in mind. It is one of the safest and best cities in the
whole of Africa.
Abuja covers a total area of 8,000 sq/km and it falls within the Guinea Savannah of the Middle Belt.
It has a fair vegetation and relatively humid climate with lots of sunshine during the dry season
(November * March). April and May are usually hazy due to the harmattan season (a strong wind
that blows sand over West Africa creating a fog effect) followed by a rainy season from mid June to
late October.

Last edited:

Spade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This looks like its gonna be a great event! Is it hard to get visa to nigeria? or can US citizens go with none?

Reverend Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World's Longest Leg

Someone is yanking very hard!!! You guys are too much. The responses to this thread show how many people want to believe something is going to change for the better.

Best of Luck,
Dave

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever been threatened in Manila, seen Jeepney robberies. A friend got robbed in New York on Times Square when we were there one St Patricks Day. I was almost mugged in Alicante but I broke the guys nose.
I have been to parts of London where I felt uneasy. Liverpool was even worse.
I had my car stolen in Moss Side, Manchester. It was used as a getaway car for two armed robberies. During the second one, they mowed down a Police Motor Cyclist.
Everyone could tell stories from their own back yard. Nigeria can be no different in parts. But that is why Abuja was created.

It is not Vietnam.

If you think negatively then you will have a very shallow life.

Take precautions - Everyone will be scheduled to arrive on the same day and the logistics of that will ensure our safety.

Remember that the glass is half full. But it could brim over. That's me done for the day.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This looks like its gonna be a great event! Is it hard to get visa to nigeria? or can US citizens go with none?
From the US State Department website:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A passport and visa are required. The visa must be obtained in advance from a Nigerian Embassy or Consulate. Visas cannot be obtained on arrival at the airport. Promises of entry into Nigeria without a visa are credible indicators of fraudulent commercial schemes in which the perpetrators seek to exploit the foreign traveler's illegal presence in Nigeria through threats of extortion or bodily harm. U.S. citizens cannot legally depart Nigeria unless they can prove, by presenting their entry visas, that they entered Nigeria legally. Entry information may be obtained at the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 3519 International Court NW, Washington, DC 20008, telephone: (202) 822-1500, or at the Nigerian Consulate General in New York, telephone: (212) 808-0301. Overseas, inquiries may be made at the nearest Nigerian embassy or consulate.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Armed robbery at gun point is the most prevalent form of crime. A calm disposition and full cooperation with robbers is the best line of action in the unlikely event that you are the victim of a robbery. Robbers tend to become violent when victims try to pull tricks. Contact your embassy in Abuja and the police if you are robbed. Occasional pick pockets target mobile phones and wallets as well. Do not carry large amounts of cash. Usually, $250 cash (or N30,000) would more than suffice for impulsive purchases and other daily costs.

If that link was meant to make people safer about travelling there, this quote isn't helping. How was Nigeria chosen as the location for this event when there are a multitude of major centers worldwide without the negative stigmas associated?

I wouldn't be too worried. The participants will probably move around together with arm guards.

Unless, someone want to strike on their own.

On the other hand, for the sport tourists, Pray, Pray and lotsa Prayers . . .

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Have you ever been threatened in Manila, seen Jeepney robberies. A friend got robbed in New York on Times Square when we were there one St Patricks Day. I was almost mugged in Alicante but I broke the guys nose.
I have been to parts of London where I felt uneasy. Liverpool was even worse.
I had my car stolen in Moss Side, Manchester. It was used as a getaway car for two armed robberies. During the second one, they mowed down a Police Motor Cyclist.
Everyone could tell stories from their own back yard. Nigeria can be no different in parts. But that is why Abuja was created.

It is not Vietnam.

If you think negatively then you will have a very shallow life.

Take precautions - Everyone will be scheduled to arrive on the same day and the logistics of that will ensure our safety.

Remember that the glass is half full. But it could brim over. That's me done for the day.

I think the problem people are having with Nigeria is that the only things most people have ever heard about it are related to kidnappings and email scams. Not to mention the US government telling us that its not in your best interest to go there. Maybe you could enlighten us as to what Nigeria has to offer besides said activities. For all we know the streets of Abuja could be paved in gold, but theres no way we can know anything other than what we have heard through news outlets, direct emails from Nigerian spammers, etc.

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
I believe the only people still allowed to roam as they please are the mexicans.

ORLY_Mexican.jpg

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Great event

This looks to be a great event, maybe next year they will try out ten ball as the game of rotation. There are probably politics involved and someone has the copyrights to the "WORLD TEN BALL" or something I would not know about that as I am a player and not one of the hand picked friend of a friend who knows someone type.

I was a Bronze Medalist at the 07 World Straight Pool Tourney and the last American standing, however received no invitation to the World ten ball tourney that particular year. So I realize I could win every non invite tournament and still never get a shot at the popularity contest tournaments. Sorry to be so neg. but I would have played in Manilla in 07 or whatever coming off my World Straight Pool finish in NJ but again I was slighted for sure. Ohh well maybe there will be a tour someday that awards players on their performances and not who they know.

Please don't take this the wrong way I am not the only one who was slighted and all the American players that were there deserved to be. It just was not my day to compete and when all the dust settles I was still one of the top picks for the USA at the World Ten Ball in Manilla. I realize it is not all about me but there is some shady business that takes place when it comes to who is picked for any invite tournament. There is so much $ in this event that I would force myself to play the soft break game of nine ball and argue possibly about how many balls went past the side and all of that jazz. But I would have rather gone to Manilla in 07 and competed at the new and better form of rotation emerging (World 10 ball.) I think they may have given my spot to Frank Alvarez - he is a fine PLAYA if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

tonyc

I have had a lot of people email me asking if I thought this event was for real, I personelly know Doug Gordon and if he is doing it it will be a great event

Last edited:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a lot of people email me asking if I thought this event was for real, I personelly know Doug Gordon and if he is doing it it will be a great event

Thanks Tony, How about a Florida Qualifier?

We have some other good ideas lined up for Pool Town

Have you ever wanted to play against one of your idols in front of the cameras, complete with a referee and with full commentary.
Well this could be your chance. We are setting up an extra arena table in Pool Town where you can do just that. Every day a different top player will play a rack (or maybe two) against you. We will film it, add commentary and produce a DVD complete with sleeve notes in a case for posterity.
That will be something to show the grandchildren.
Who would YOU like to play?

http://www.goldenbreak.com/DVD.html

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Big Added $$$,$$$.$$

And for those of you who don't know who tonyc is: You go to this professional player's website by clicking here.

This is great news. This will be an exciting event and LUCRATIVE to boot.

JoeyA

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update

So far 32 out of the first 52 invited players have accepted invitations. Only 20 spots left so reply before another batch of invitations are sent out next Friday. So if you are not in you may be OUT.

I will not publish list until all the spots are filled - but it's looking good.

Last edited: