Best nine ball player ever top speed

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I believe that was the tournament Don Mackey held out the PBT players from.

I don't think so, but maybe Jay will clear that up for us when he chimes in. I think most of the top pros were there. Some didn't make the trek to the west coast but I think Parica won the 9-ball and I believe he was in the PBT.

bulletjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
has beat those at least once at some game or another....

luther l
johnny a
efren r
jose p
jimmy moore
earl s
grady m
etc...

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
ill tellem.
like keith would beat alex.
what a joke.
'

Chris, You're too young to remember Keith in his heyday! Do I think he's a better player than Alex? Probably not, but it's definately not a joke! When Keith was playing at his best, NO ONE went looking for him to gamble with and I assure you every top player in the country would have been less than pleased to have drawn him in a tournament. He was a true champion! I'm not trying to pick arguments with you, I respect you a great deal! I've often told people that if Bartrum is matching up, bet on him, he matches up well and and grinds it out. But you seem to overlook some of the players that came before you were out there grinding it out. Nothing wrong with expressing your opinions but it's hard to form accurate opinions about someone you really don't know that well. Keith really played "JAM" UP! (Sorry I couldn't resist the pun. lol) I do appreciate your input in AZ billiards. Hope you don't mind an old guy correcting you when I think you need it! lol Have a good day, buddy. Hope to see you in action soon!
Sherm

Last edited:

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Chris, You're too young to remember Keith in his heyday! Do I think he's a better player than Alex? Probably not, but it's definately not a joke! When Keith was playing at his best, NO ONE went looking for him to gamble with and I assure you every top player in the country would have been less than pleased to have drawn him in a tournament. He was a true champion! I'm not trying to pick arguments with you, I respect you a great deal! I've often told people that if Bartrum is matching up, bet on him, he matches up well and and grinds it out. But you seem to overlook some of the players that came before you were out there grinding it out. Nothing wrong with expressing your opinions but it's hard to form accurate opinions about someone you really don't know that well. Keith really played "JAM" UP! (Sorry I couldn't resist the pun. lol) I do appreciate your input in AZ billiards. Hope you don't mind an old guy correcting you when I think you need it! lol Have a good day, buddy. Hope to see you in action soon!
Sherm
no i dont mind.
you have your opp and i have mine.
alex would bust keith no doubt i have watched vids of him.
he shoot straigh but did not kick good or play safe.
so what did he do better than alex ill tell you nothing.
kick no
break no
jump no
shoot close
so alex wins

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ill tellem.
what a joke.
'

Love you, man. But.... by the old rules, with the old cloth and when they were both in dead punch.... yes. KEITH WOULD BE THE FAVORITE OVER ALEX. Wow, first all caps in a while. You may now rep me.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Love you, man. But.... by the old rules, with the old cloth and when they were both in dead punch.... yes. KEITH WOULD BE THE FAVORITE OVER ALEX. Wow, first all caps in a while. You may now rep me.

rep you cause you dont know much about pool when it comes to this match.
rep me.
are you for real here?

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rep you cause you dont know much about pool when it comes to this match.
rep me.
are you for real here?

Absolutely. Me and Coltrain were talking about this. The old, slow cloth, the two shot pushout. You might be too young to remember the Keither in his shiot. I once saw him play Brian Atchley, just after he won the barbox open, and pretty much laugh the whole time. There were more six's and seven's than you could imagine. At one point, in a fifteen ahead on the barbox, Brian was up four. He broke dry. Keith went outside, came back in and Brian kicked twice and had a long rail bank and Keith was up eleven. Did you see him gamble when he was twenty?

Reactions: JAM

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
no i dont mind.
you have your opp and i have mine.
alex would bust keith no doubt i have watched vids of him.
he shoot straigh but did not kick good or play safe.
so what did he do better than alex ill tell you nothing.
kick no
break no
jump no
shoot close
so alex wins

Sure Alex wins most of the time. But what Keith did do so very well was string racks together. He put a lot of 6, 8 & 10 packs on people! When he was playing he didn't kick much, but he didn't have to often. There aren't any videos of Keith when he was really in his prime anyway. This was pre-Accu-Stats. Keith was a seriously feared opponent back in the 70's because he overwhelmed his opponents! He had a gear close to Earl at one time and was a momentum player like Earl. If Alex kept him in his seat and kicking, he'd win. But if Keith got any open shot, he was subject to run the set! I wish you could have actually seen him play back then. I really think you'd see my point. That aside, next to Efren, Alex may go down as the second best in history. I know he has game! As much as any human! But like Keith, he's spending more time playing poker than pool. Hope he don't let that gift slip away, while he young. He can play poker when he gets older.

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
greatest

I think Buddy Hall was the top no matter who you put in. But you have to remember what Buddy said about Keith, If he was drinking coffee all the time everyone else would be playing for second all the time, that really says a lot.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure Alex wins most of the time. But what Keith did do so very well was string racks together. He put a lot of 6, 8 & 10 packs on people! When he was playing he didn't kick much, but he didn't have to often. There aren't any videos of Keith when he was really in his prime anyway. This was pre-Accu-Stats. Keith was a seriously feared opponent back in the 70's because he overwhelmed his opponents! He had a gear close to Earl at one time and was a momentum player like Earl. If Alex kept him in his seat and kicking, he'd win. But if Keith got any open shot, he was subject to run the set! I wish you could have actually seen him play back then. I really think you'd see my point. That aside, next to Efren, Alex may go down as the second best in history. I know he has game! As much as any human! But like Keith, he's spending more time playing poker than pool. Hope he don't let that gift slip away, while he young. He can play poker when he gets older.

Thanks, Sherm, for the kind words about Keith.

One thing about pool I've discovered over the years, there's no respect among its peers, especially the younger generation.

In golf, as an example, the old timers receive a great deal of respect from the younger generation. Not so in pool. It's a shame.

If the player can't run 10 racks anymore or isn't putting money in somebody else's pockets, they're labeled has-beens as if they can't run three balls. What's worse is when some young whipper-snapper speaks about subject matters that they truly have no capability of knowing anything about.

This environment and atmosphere in pool is one reason I have no desire to ever attend a pool event in my life again. I may have to do it for Keith someday, but it won't be because I want to go anymore.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ill tellem.
what a joke.
'

You can put Chris Bartram, a so-called "young gun," on one table alongside Keith McCready, a so-called "old-school player" who hasn't hit a ball in 4 years, and I can guarantee you whose table will have the most railbirds. :wink:

Most people today enjoy a little personality. That is a trait that Keith and Alex both have when it comes to playing pool. :)

Pool suffers in popularity today because it's not a good spectator sport. Nobody wants to sweat an 8-hour session on TV, on the Internet, or in person, unless they're betting on it. :grin-square:

Sometimes, Chris, it's not about how good you hit 'em; it's how you hit 'em. That just might be one thing that today's younger generation could gain from. Look at the United States' representation in the world championship this year. How many representatives do we have?

Enjoy your pool career, Chris, while you have it. I hope when you grow old that you enjoy the memories because that's all you got when it comes to pool. There's no reward, no respect, nothing.

bulletjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SOMEBODY who went with keith up north to play minnesota for a couple said that keith put so many racks on fatty so fast that he didn't know what hit him..... minnesota got mad and started getting mouthy and keith said jokingly "how bout calmin down over there"... minnesota said " last time i checked, we weren't in a f@#$%n library. lol

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
somebody who went with keith up north to play minnesota for a couple said that keith put so many racks on fatty so fast that he didn't know what hit him..... Minnesota got mad and started getting mouthy and keith said jokingly "how bout calmin down over there"... Minnesota said " last time i checked, we weren't in a f@#$%n library. Lol

hahahhahaaaa