I-phone app for straight pool

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Jeff Mohl has been talking to someone who is developing an application for a straight pool score keeper for use with one's I-phone. He had it on his i-phone last night but it still had a few bugs. The creator is fixing it and they are wondering if there are any more features that might be useful.

Here is Jeff's email. Any input is appreciated.

"I asked one of the app developers for iphone to come up with a good score keeper for 14.1 and he's done it. It's still a little crude but best available as far as I know. It shows a rack score and a total score for each player. 1st major flaw I noted was that if you foul and take off a point, it removes it from rack score as well as total score. It also advances the total score a point each time you add a point to the rack score which is ok, but I think we are more used to seeing the total score undisturbed until end of each rack.

The way he has it now, total score goes up with each point on rack score. I know you guys are not Iphone nuts like me, but I wanted input from some straight pool lovers as to what functions would be nice to include on a score keeping application.

Once he fixes the foul penalty issue, the only other nice feature I could think of off hand is perhaps an "inning" counter included.

Any other nice features I might put on the wish list for him? His comments to me below:

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:35 PM
To: JEFF MOHL
Subject: Re: Score Simple Feedback

Jeff:

Thanks for reaching out. I was going to contact you. I was hoping to get your feedback on it and then make minor adjustments in a subsequent update.
Let me know anything else you would like to see changed/fixed and I'll bust it out. Now you just need to get all your pool playing buddies to use it!
BTW, if you check the screen shots on scoresimple.com, you'll see your name as one of the players in the billiards screen shots.

Cheers,

Peter

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey,

Sounds great !

one thing that i can think of is that you have 2 players that both have iPhone and the app, they link up through wifi. so you can both keep score simutaniously.

also a great feature to have would be a practice mode so you can keep running stats on yourself, such as runs and average runs, and innings (Bpi)

i recently tried the computer score keeper that was posted here in the forums, it worked well. the only isssue in my eyes was the foul counter.

i look forward to seeing this in the app store and giving it a go !

Thanks
-Steve

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
It might also be useful to have counters for the number of fouls, if any, each player is on. It really only has to go to 2 fouls since a 3rd foul would reset the counter for that player.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
It might also be useful to have counters for the number of fouls, if any, each player is on. It really only has to go to 2 fouls since a 3rd foul would reset the counter for that player.
Yeah. CustomQs mentioned that one by email.

Keep them coming.

I want his app to work for blackberry, too.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
If you're playing where they have beads or a rail counter, why would you want this app? It seems to be a high tech solution to a non-problem.

It's not easily visible. Your opponent probably couldn't do it so one guy would have to keep scores for both. Or your opponent might insist on using the beads and then you'd be keeping score twice or not using it.

For normal league play it seems a little nutty to me. But then I haven't joined the iPhone army .... yet.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
also a great feature to have would be a practice mode so you can keep running stats on yourself, such as runs and average runs, and innings (Bpi)

I agree with you a bit Rich, but thats why i brought up the other ideas. i think it would ba a nice training aid as well if it had these features.

-Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
If you're playing where they have beads or a rail counter, why would you want this app? It seems to be a high tech solution to a non-problem.

It's not easily visible. Your opponent probably couldn't do it so one guy would have to keep scores for both. Or your opponent might insist on using the beads and then you'd be keeping score twice or not using it.

For normal league play it seems a little nutty to me. But then I haven't joined the iPhone army .... yet.

It's a new gadget. Who wouldn't want one!?

When we had our leagues at ProTyme, they had no counters, no beads. We had to use score sheets.

Pockets has no counters or beads either.

I imagine if you put it on an i-pad it might be viewable.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

I HATE beads for straight pool scoring. I hate them anyway, but especially for straight pool.

One thing though is that on most phones the screen shuts off after about 30 seconds so you wouldn't be able to glance over at the score whenever you want. I suppose you could disable this battery saving feature but you might then risk losing the score altogether when the battery goes dead. I guess it's not that big a deal, you can always tap the screen if you want to see the score. Otherwise just don't worry about it except for between innings when it gets updated.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wrote an app like this for the PC. I thought the reason to have this is so you can keep track of games of long term. I put to gether the basic operation and stopped before implementing the file system to save the game. I thought it would not be tha useful as most people do not have a PC at the table. Now this iPhone app is a good idea. I should probably finish up my old PC app as it was pretty inclusive.

For the question why have an automated scorekeepr. The reason to have this is so you can track what you did more than just the current score. At least that is what my program could do.

I loof forward to seeing the scroing app, how can I put it on my iPhone.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
thoughts for the 14.1 iPhone score app

Jeff Mohl has been talking to someone who is developing an application for a straight pool score keeper for use with one's I-phone. He had it on his i-phone last night but it still had a few bugs. The creator is fixing it and they are wondering if there are any more features that might be useful.

I think having the ability to calculate player inning averages and keep track of high runs for a player would also be a nice feature. Hopefully you can type in the number of balls per inning instead of having to move beads.

An option to mark safes might also be nice to have as well as a record of matches so you could check your progress against certain opponents, also showing the opponents inning averages and high runs against you as well as safes.

That's about all I have for it. Let us know when it becomes available.

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
At league last week a guy shows up with his i-Phone ... Measuring the speed of each players break. Not sure how it's done ... but, impressive.

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
BreakSpeed.

It measures the time difference between the initial hit of the cue ball and the collision with the rack. I'll get you the link, it is a great app!

Jeff Mohl showed it to me.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Why is this a straight pool app? I'm pretty sure my straight pool break is somewhere around 8-10 MPH. :grin-square:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The break speed app is not for straight pool. The app described in post #1 is for straight pool.

Doh!! Thought I clicked on the OP; didn't realize I actually clicked on "last post" and was on page 2.

DogsPlayingPool: :confused:

Everyone else: :withstupid:

Last edited:

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
If you're playing where they have beads or a rail counter, why would you want this app?

I agree, but IME, beads or some other counter is rare nowadays.

I would like it to work with 9-ball and 8-ball too with stats like how many made on the break average, etc. . . .