Cuemaker vs. Cue Builder

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member
I was so proud to become a Cuemaker many years ago and then all the sudden the title "Cue Builder" popped up. Many refer to themselves as a Cue Builder on this forum but I never hear of it any where else.

The name of this forum is "Ask the Cuemaker" not Ask the Cue Builder.

I am still very proud be be a Cuemaker.

Are you a Cuemaker or a Cue Builder?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Probably some old fart stroking his ego called himself a cue BUILDER first. :D
You can call yourself any way you want, the end product is what matters in the end.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I make sawdust, hammer handles and tomato stakes, and business is good...

Last edited:

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
As long as I get to spend time in the shop, then go drink beer and play pool. You can call me anything you want!

Larry

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
During an ICA meeting a few years ago a member made a motion to change the International Cuemakers Association name to International Cuebuilders Association. Over 90% of those who were there shot it right down pretty much instantly. I am a cuemaker and a cuebuilder and like both terms just fine and feel they mean the same thing. The public relates to cuemaker so I see no need to change.
Several professions use maker instead builder so I see no major negatives with being called cuemaker.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
arnot i think that both are ok although i am not a either.....the big diffrence i see here lately is a cuebuilder or cuemaker on one side and some of the new cues that i see are done by cue assemblers.....and we all know that there is a big diffrence between the latter....

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
This could turn into one of those "politically correct" discussions, hopefully not. Other wise we could start being referred to as "cue designer" lol. I turn wood into useable well playing cues call it what you want, though I like maker personally. And I've been called a variety of things along lifes way ! lol

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first time I heard the term Cue builder was by Mr. Deikman. What ever works for him is what I say. I know what I do and so do my customers, That's all that matters to me.

Mr. Tattoo is right on the money with his terminology also. Some guys don't do points and veneer work but it still takes a good amount of skill to follow behind what someone else has started and have it come out correctly. In the end, I try to mind my business and try not to concern myself with what others do. A few of us try to help those who don't act like forum shitheads, The others, it don't take to long to see what is what.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was worried about a title dictating what I did or who I was I would have picked a different title that paid better.

We all take something and make it into something else, that is how you build. Note Webster 1st definition of build - 1: to form by ordering and uniting materials by gradual means into a composite whole : CONSTRUT

Seems to me that is what we do. Who cares what you call it. My g/f calls it a hobby and sometimes says I should find a new one but that would get back to my first statement about being worried about titles and what others think.

Bob Danielson
www.bdcuesandcomix.com

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make a little scratch on repairs & sell my cues for less than minimum wage for the hours I have in them. I’m just above novice by my rating. With some solid direction from my mentors I cut my own points and cnc my own inlays, but my plate is what it is. It was available so I figure I’ll grow into it.

Yes that is a real 8 ball bolted to my bumper. Luckily I caught my brother-in-law in time before he hooked my 20K boat to it.

Attachments

• 8 Ball.JPG
    8 Ball.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Cuemaker v/s cuebuilder

MAKER: noun 1. a person or thing that makes . 2. a manufacturer (used in combination):

BUILDER –noun 1. a person who builds . 2. a person who constructs buildings under contract or as

Take your pick. What difference does it make as long as you know what the meaning if IS IS.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maker is a word that has been used over the centuries to describe artisans such as Stradivarius, Chippendale, and others while builders typically produce houses, ships and other items with a more utilitarian function. They both build and/or make their end products.

The use of the term cue builder is very recent.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I was so proud to become a Cuemaker many years ago and then all the sudden the title "Cue Builder" popped up. Many refer to themselves as a Cue Builder on this forum but I never hear of it any where else.

The name of this forum is "Ask the Cuemaker" not Ask the Cue Builder.

I am still very proud be be a Cuemaker.

Are you a Cuemaker or a Cue Builder?

I am a cue converter, I mostly build conversion cues or non-conversion simple cues without points. I am not certain a name is very important, I think how we feel about ourselves and what we do is all that is really important. Whether we are a Cue Maker, Cue Builder, or any other title that may used is really not important, if we are doing what we enjoy doing and our customers call us nice things and not the opposite!!!!

But since it matters to you, I will always address you as a Cue Maker out of respect for your concern.

JIMO

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Maker is a word that has been used over the centuries to describe artisans such as Stradivarius, Chippendale, and others while builders typically produce houses, ships and other items with a more utilitarian function. They both build and/or make their end products.

The use of the term cue builder is very recent.
From the person who owns cuemaker dot com.:D

Eric Wynne

Banned
What about cue assembler ??? Szamboti and Bushka bought blanks from Spain !!! They assembled cues . Horse pattoooty !!! We put our own time, money, blood (sometimes ) , and love into the cues we build , make , and assemble .They have our own taper , finish and logo !!! They play , we hope , as best as we can make them . We are what we are because we like it !!! Who cares , who gives a rats pattoooty , about the BS . As long as the balls go in , we get paid !!! Pool is a life sport that lasts as long as you have eyes to see and a breath of will . Pretty good sport for us cue makers to be involved in !!! Hey Arnot ... How's the shop buddy doing ??? I know not much bigger in size , how about attitude ??? Luv 'em !!! :cool:;)

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting topic.
My trade is a Toolmaker and I build tools. Be they, plastic injection molds, silicon molds, press tools for metal stampings, I build them.
The things I make, are made from steel blocks of various sorts and all need sizing one way or another.Of course you buy and use what you can that is already made.
But most of it needs to be made.
I don't call myself a tool die builder.
A builder here, makes wood frame houses.
You can have someone build a cue, and not be a cue maker.This would be where some one gets a handle from X and a shaft from Y and make up cue Z. It is still a cue and can be a very excellent playing cue.

To me the Cuemaker, actually makes the parts, builds the cue for the customer.They may use common commercial parts like joint pins, etc, but they make the cue.You are buying their knowledge of cuemaking .

Ofcourse a cuemaker has every right to call him/herself a cuebuilder as well.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps both names should be discarded and replaced by "Functional Artists". It may better represent the current state of cue making. The level of current offerings far exceed what used to be expected. Even very simple offerings display the makers sense of artistry.