Is it possible to throw an object ball? Nope

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Well, yes, but are you sure he didn't mean to say what he didn't say? It would be nice if he said now what he didn't mean to say, or even what he did mean to say if he meant to say it. I think we are dealing with an unknownable unknown at this time, but that doesn't prevent a spirited discussion.
Around here, spirited means mean in the mean, Don.

pj
chgo

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Your diagram doesn't show the middle ball curving, it shows it going straight to the cushion and then taking an angle off the cushion caused by the small amount of side spin the cue ball put on it. I think the object ball doesn't curve on its way to the cushion.

Ok, fair enough.

My diagram shows how you can transfer a small amount of spin to an object ball.

I also don't believe in being able to transfer spin or throw to an object ball to make it go around an impeding object ball. I think maybe Ron may have been referring to that.

JoeyA

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
yeah this is where definitions for terms comes in really handy...

Ok, fair enough.

My diagram shows how you can transfer a small amount of spin to an object ball.

I also don't believe in being able to transfer spin or throw to an object ball to make it go around an impeding object ball. I think maybe Ron may have been referring to that.

JoeyA

If he was talking about transfering swerve, that's completely different from throw.

Throw is the change of angle due to prolonged (or multiple contacts for those who don't believe that continued contact is possible) contact between CB and OB.

Swerve is the tendency of a ball to curve on the table due to friction with the cloth from sidespin.

The amount of transfered sidespin to the OB is negligable to the point that noticable swerve would not be possible, and definitely not enough to avoid another OB.

Jaden

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... My diagram shows how you can transfer a small amount of spin to an object ball. ...
I think it's a good demonstration of that. I like the proposition shot below even better. Long bank the ball on the spot to either side of the blocker ball which is in the middle of the normal bank shot. On some tables you can put two blocker balls next to each other and still make the shots.

CropperCapture[3].png

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Jaden:
Throw is the change of angle due to prolonged (or multiple contacts for those who don't believe that continued contact is possible) contact between CB and OB.
I don't believe it's due to either one. It's due to rubbing friction between the balls during the normal contact time.

pj
chgo

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
When english is transferred, the OB is thrown - you can't have one without the other. So even though the transferred english itself won't change the path of the OB (at all), there will be throw and it may change the path of the OB substantially.

pj
chgo

agreed and i didnt mean no throw would be involved meant no curve would be involved but the amount of angular motion would increase form the transferred side spin after contact with the rail.

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
agreed and i didnt mean no throw would be involved meant no curve would be involved but the amount of angular motion would increase form the transferred side spin after contact with the rail.

infact we all do this eveytime when we want to shallow a bank angle with the use of inside english or open up the rebound angle with outside english on the cueball.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is possible to throw an object ball.

Can we get some harder questions here Alex?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
What does this rubbing friction do to change the angle????

I don't believe it's due to either one. It's due to rubbing friction between the balls during the normal contact time.

pj
chgo

Ok fine PJ you're right. end of argument

Jaden

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
He's mad because we disagreed with something he didn't say.

pj
chgo

So put up the 10k and prove Ron wrong..so far I see a lot of people who disagree with diagrams but nobody is willing to grab what seems to be a free 10k in their minds. Remember Ron V. is the guy who gave HIS systems to Mika..Niels..Robles..Hopkins..Thorston..Hofstatter and Lee at THEIR request..he wasn't offering..just to name a few (theres many more) so to simply imply he's some above average "coach"..isn't scratching the surface. He's a legend in the Pro's circle so I would pause before I dismiss him with "he's just mad". Mike Sigel says the exact same thing as Ron on this issue..EXACT. I think Sigel might now a little bit more about "throw" than most of us. But maybe you know better then Sigel and Vitello. You might be an unknown pool legend yourself, school us and put up the 10k and lets find out.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Fwiw, Grady calls this type of shot a "passing" shot.... It was in one of his early videos (late 80's) and yes the ball will pass if you are on the right side of the object ball and apply the correct English.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Good example, Joey.

However, to be clear, the OB is not "curving" (AKA "swerving"). Instead, the transferred spin is altering the rebound angle off the rail. You might think this is nit-picky, but terminology seems to be causing a lot of confusion in this thread. OBs can be thrown, and spin can be transferred to them, and transferred spin can change rebound angles off rails; however, OBs can't "curve" or "turn" or "swerve," per the info, videos, and resources on the OB swerve/turn resource page.

Regards,
Dave

Maybe that's what Ron was trying to say: that an object ball can't be made to curve/swerve around another object ball.

JoeyA

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Me:
[RonV]'s mad because we disagreed with something he didn't say.
Palmerfan:
So put up the 10k and prove Ron wrong..
Prove him wrong about what? He doesn't admit saying what the OP said he said.

Mike Sigel says the exact same thing as Ron on this issue..EXACT. I think Sigel might now a little bit more about "throw" than most of us.
1. Again, Ron hasn't admitted saying there's no such thing as throw. He said there's no such thing as OB curve. I agree with that.

2. Sigel has been proven wrong for years.

But maybe you know better then Sigel and Vitello.
Maybe. Better than you too, it seems.

You might be an unknown pool legend yourself
I'm kind of a big deal on AzB...

school us
You don't seem very open to "schooling" from non-legends.

and put up the 10k and lets find out.
Again, Ron hasn't yet said anything I disagree with. I disagree with what the OP says Ron said. If Ron is betting an OB can't be thrown, I can raise much more than 10K for that bet. Are you going to back Ron?

pj
chgo

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the definition of throw?
Good question. Here's my definition...

Throw is the component of the net force (or impulse) imparted on the OB by the CB whose direction is along the tangent line of the contact point.

Had to think carefully about that one.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the definition of throw?
Here's the definition from my online glossary:
throw: object ball motion away from the impact line (line of centers) due to relative sideways sliding motion between the cue ball and object ball caused by sidespin or a cut angle.​

I know that's a mouth full. For a visual definition, with examples, see:

FYI, many illustrations, videos, articles, and other resources related to throw can be found on my throw resource page.

Regards,
Dave

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
No we weren't not really...

It pushes the OB one way and the CB the opposite way along the tangent line (during normal contact time).

Were we arguing?

pj
chgo

upon further analysis, I can see how the spin and the friction can actually carry the OB in the direction of the spin tangentially to the initial exit angle without increasing the contact time. The way that I was thinking is that the friction would necessarily increase the contact time, and while it may actually increase the contact time, the amount would be negligible and immaterial to the actual effect.

Also, that when the angle is wider the friction can carry the OB along the tangent prior to contact exit, changing the exit angle without sidespin being necessary.

Jaden