Who's the BEST barbox player today?

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is much debate about this.

I will say that I think a barbox match on a Diamond is not the same as a barbox match on a Valley.

I also gotta say, I really like Larry Nevel as the top barbox player today. He very passionate and intense in his game too, I like that.

What do ya'll think?

Ray

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Among Americans, Shane and then Hennessee.

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is much debate about this.

I will say that I think a barbox match on a Diamond is not the same as a barbox match on a Valley.

I also gotta say, I really like Larry Nevel as the top barbox player today. He very passionate and intense in his game too, I like that.

What do ya'll think?

Ray

on a given day I think you could add about 25-50 in the mix here. The score of any match can make many twists and turns. It's usually just a break contest and not much more. Rarely really even entertaining either.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
on a given day I think you could add about 25-50 in the mix here. The score of any match can make many twists and turns. It's usually just a break contest and not much more. Rarely really even entertaining either.

So plop down a few Lewis Jones picks on us. 25-50??? How bout 2 or 3???

Ray

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
How bout Chip Compton?

Won 3 White Diamond events in a row, but how would hold up in a longer race? Maybe 2 out of 3 races to 30-35???

Ray

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another Who's the Best thread. We should start a "Who's the Best" subforum. It is interesting to read these threads each year and see how the names change.

In my experience, the selections are based on regions. For example, somebody in New York may have no idea how good a player in Kansas plays, and they will say the *best* player is from New York, et cetera, et cetera.

Oh, well. Have fun. I'll look forward to reading another "Who's the Best" thread next year, too! :thumbup:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a guy named Norm Wines who played in the SBE twice and won it both times.... never heard of him again. Anybody know about this guy?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a guy named Norm Wines who played in the SBE twice and won it both times.... never heard of him again. Anybody know about this guy?

Played him a number of times in tournaments. Very good player, but not at the very top echelon.

I agree that the "best" is very subjective. There are a number that will win on any given day, and it would take about 10 matchups between each player to really determine the best. That isn't going to happen any time soon. But, there are a few names that stand out as top contenders for the title. And, I'm quite sure there a some other names that are not household names that are very strong contenders also.

diamondave13

Registered
Shane VanBoenig. One of the best money players in the world on the 9 footers is even better on the 7 footer. In fact 8 ball on the bar box is his best game. Several years ago he defeated Orcullio two sets of 8 ball on the bar box. And he devastated Scot Frost in a race to 100 nine ball on the bar box.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Norman Wines out of battlecreek Michigan,about 10years ago after winning the ametures up at valley forge,Norm stayed around baltimore for a couple of months,he played and beat Bobby Legg,up at the kin tin bar that was owned by Bobbys backer and great friend Don Gibson(what a great guy he was,rip Don)Norm stayed in action ,while in balto,winning most the time,Norm could play on the 9footers also,Norman tried Tom Vanover on the 9footer and got beat soundly,but Normans best game was the 7footers,thats where he could play with anybody,if Big Norm was rite!now if u beat Bobby Legg on any table,u had to be a great player!

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Played him a number of times in tournaments. Very good player, but not at the very top echelon.

I agree that the "best" is very subjective. There are a number that will win on any given day, and it would take about 10 matchups between each player to really determine the best. That isn't going to happen any time soon. But, there are a few names that stand out as top contenders for the title. And, I'm quite sure there a some other names that are not household names that are very strong contenders also.

Norman is always undercover. His tournament play is only second to his gambling. Norman is a very stout bar box competitor, actually, one of the best.

randyg

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best playing i ever witness,was watching Keith Mccready play Tony Long here in baltimore on the small table,i never seen any man play like that ever,Keith would run 5s,6s,7s everytime,i believe his high run that day was 15 or more,Keith was better then a machine that day and i was there to witness it,so there is my pick for the best of all time on the 7 footers,Keith!

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched SVB play Nevel in the Capri room at the Riv. 2 years ago in the Grand Masters division...

Neither player missed a single shot ... SVB was the winner, something like 7-5 ... If I remember it was because Nevel actually broke dry once!

It was interesting watching them play. Each game would go like this;

- break and make a few balls.
- player would stare at / examine the table for 3 or 4 minutes.
- player would run the rack in less than 1 1/2 minutes.
- repeat.

I'd bet on SVB for sure, but anyone can (at times) play on bar box.... Heck, even i ran out a race to 5 in Vegas on a Diamond playing 8-ball (5 bnrs)

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know how much he plays anymore but Norm Wines steam rolled through the open both years he won it. His rhythm was disgustingly fast and his position play and safes were spot on. He wasn't the best I've seen but at that point in time he could give just about anybody a game. I wouldn't have bet against him on a bar box in those days. I believe he finished (maybe won I don't recall) in the top 2 of the national bar box championships around that time also.