*** I Need A Little Help With A Sugartree Cue Repair ***

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
Hi All,

I am in a slight quandry. I recently picked up a very nice Sugartree fancy sneaky. The very first night I took it out, I (stupidly) let a friend use it for a few racks. He dogged the 5 in a ring game and slammed the cue down on the bumper. Needless to say, he cracked the buckhorn buttcap in two places, and also cracked the finish.

After I pointed this out to him, he felt absolutely terrible, and has agreed to pay for all repairs. I have sent two e-mails to Eric inquiring about repairing the cue, but have received no response. I am in no way complaining. I know that Eric is extremely busy, and I am sure a repair like this is in no way a priority, which I completely understand. The problem is, I am not sure what else I can do. I can have it fixed locally, but that would mean an ivory buttcap, and then the buckhorn joint sleeve would also have to be replaced with ivory. And Eric's signature is in the buttcap of this cue, of course. So, I am sure you all see my problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you AZers!!!

Braden

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
If you aren't going to wait for Eric...then I'd HIGHLY recommend sending it to Ryan of Rat cues & see what he suggest. You can't get a higher quality repair than what Ryan offers....also with exceptionally fast service. :wink:
Ryans contact info:
cuerepair@muellers.com
800-627-8888

Last edited:

Trent

Banned
be patient and wait for eric to get ahold of you.

He out and about in the woods doing his thing.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Eric is the only person that should work on his cues. If anyone else replaces the buttcap, it will devalue the cue. Be patient.

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
It seems that the concensus is pretty unaminous. I have no trouble waiting for Eric, so this is good. I was very apprehensive about devalueing the cue. I appreciate the Rat Cues contact info. I do have another cue I need repaired, and it is only a production cue, though it has more value to me than any other cue I own. My father bought it for me about two years before he passed away, so it is priceless for me. I think I will contact Ryan when I have it fixed.

Thank you all for helping my decision. It is much appreciated.

Braden

P.S. I do not think I could do any more damage to my friend than he has done to himself. He feels HORRIBLE about the cue. But, that is not to say I did not learn anything from this incident.

Last edited:

mrsmith1976

Out of line...again..UGH
Silver Member
Wow!!!!

How hard do you have to slam a cue into the floor in order to damage it? I couldn't imagine how hard you'd have to do it. He must be pretty strong!!!

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you are ridiculously obscenely patient...

This is what my Sugartree looked like after I did the same thing in January 2010 (I received it the month prior) and sent it to Eric a few weeks afterwards for repair.

oops.jpg

I'll be happy to show pics of the repair when I get it back.

Reactions: CMD

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member

This is what my Sugartree looked like after I did the same thing in January 2010 (I received it the month prior) and sent it to Eric a few weeks afterwards for repair.

So you sent it to Eric for repair around February of 2010 and you have not received it back in over 21 months?

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member

Braden...you might want to take this into consideration BIG TIME! I understand fully about cuemakers being busy...but 21 months to replace a buttcap?!?!?!?!

I'd check into Ryan (ratcues) a little more...there's several people who do repairs on cues that I've seen where it doesn't seem to "devalue" the cue...however, if you need Eric's signature (which I think you said you do), then you might be testing your own boundaries of "patience"!

Jason

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
Ryan at Rat Cues Gets My Vote

I just had Ryan modify a Predator shaft for me. The work was first rate and took hardly any time at all.

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
Thanks for the additional posts. They certainly have a large effect on my decision. I am not going to wait two years for my cue to be fixed, devalued or not.

Braden

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Believe it or not...you really don't have to slam the butts down very hard for this to happen. By compressing the rubber bumper, you're causing the kinetic energy to travel inside the bumper and it has to go somewhere, so it blows out the butt cap. Some materials used for butt caps may be more prone to this happening than others.

As to waiting 21 months for a repair to be completed....I've waited almost as long for a whole cue to be completed, not sure I could wait that long for a relatively common and simple repair.

Lisa

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the additional posts. They certainly have a large effect on my decision. I am not going to wait two years for my cue to be fixed, devalued or not.

Braden

I don't blame you a single bit. And for the record, we're at 23 months, not 21...

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member

Braden

Talk to Eric first. I wouldn't be worried about the 21 month thing. There is real time, cue makers time and cue maker working on Ross' cue time.

Larry

Reactions: mia

somms69

escape artist
Silver Member
I don't blame you a single bit. And for the record, we're at 23 months, not 21...
I suppose this should make me feel better. I only own one cue, made for me by Eric, and I've been waiting on a mysterious "rattle" to be looked at for 9months. At least you have others at your disposal. :grin:

Reactions: CMD

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Things like 1pRoscoe's story crop up all the time (not to mention like OP's "can't get in contact with eric" predicament). I'm a big fan of sugartree cues; I have one as my daily player. But buyer beware for anyone who gets one: don't expect repairs or communication with the guy. It does happen, but then it also doesn't happen just as often. Just make sure you have a good local person you trust to do tips, and do your best never to need a repair (or live with whatever damage is done).