Earl and the truth about the "Million Dollar Challenge"

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jerry Forsyth is "the" best writer about anything relating to pool on the face of the earth today, bar none. :)

He's also one of my favorite commentators of pool matches, mainly because he knows so much about the players and the history, but also I kind of enjoy hearing his Southern accent. :cool:
Yes. As far as maintaining the history of the game, I suspect that will move more and more into video. The scary part about that is that video -- off somewhere in the cloud -- seems a lot less permanent than paper. The same issue faces magazines as they move to on-line only publication.

It's too bad that we don't have a video of Earl's whole run. I'm looking forward to seeing the last six racks.

Johnk78

Registered
You may have saw a picture...only myself and a few attorneys have seen the video.
Does anyone still have access to this video? Does it still exist for that matter? Or is there some sort of stipulation that prohibits anyone, with the exception of a few,from viewing the footage?

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the video and you know you're right

More BULLSHIT! Earl never made the nine ball when I was racking! Who comes up with this crap? I don't think Resh was even there. He got all this info second hand. Some reporter he is (or was).

I got your back, Jay...I have the video and you know you're right. You have missed the mark on a couple things, but overall you don't need to up your dosage of Ginko anytime soon;)

I've never seen so much "miss information"....it's comical :groucho:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got your back, Jay...I have the video and you know you're right. You have missed the mark on a couple things, but overall you don't need to up your dosage of Ginko anytime soon;)

Well, I might as well add my heard-it-through-the-grapevine smut. :grin-square:

I heard Earl settled with the insurance people for a much lesser sum of six figures. Thereafter, he purchased a silver Porsche to ride around in and lived happily ever after.

Well, he may have been happy for a short period of time while he was married. According to Earl, he did enjoy that union while it lasted. :smiling-heart:

Sadly, I don't believe Earl has ever recovered from the breakup, which still haunts him today. :frown:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I might as well add my heard-it-through-the-grapevine smut. :grin-square:

I heard Earl settled with the insurance people for a much lesser sum of six figures. Thereafter, he purchased a silver Porsche to ride around in and lived happily ever after.

Well, he may have been happy for a short period of time while he was married. According to Earl, he did enjoy that union while it lasted. :smiling-heart:

Sadly, I don't believe Earl has ever recovered from the breakup, which still haunts him today. :frown:

Yeah, very little of the "rumors" are true....right down to the name of the insurance co. is wrong.....it's funny how little people get correct about history....really makes me NOT want to believe any of the history I learned in High School. :eek:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the video

Does anyone still have access to this video? Does it still exist for that matter? Or is there some sort of stipulation that prohibits anyone, with the exception of a few,from viewing the footage?

I have the video....it will be released within 40 days in a documentary telling the "rest of the story" and will set the record straight once and for all.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ya know, I wondered who was that invisible person Earl was arguing with all these years. LOL

In all seriousness, if ever there was a movie to be made about men's professional pool, it would (SHOULD) be about Earl's life. A desolate, neurotic time bomb who shoots a mean stick.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, very little of the "rumors" are true....right down to the name of the insurance co. is wrong.....it's funny how little people get correct about history....really makes me NOT want to believe any of the history I learned in High School. :eek:

Did you hear about how Christopher Columbus died? Same disease that killed Al Capone.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds awesome CJ. Look forward to seeing it.

It's something that's Overdue for sure;)
540422_10151093063124520_2060525904_n.jpg

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya know, I wondered who was that invisible person Earl was arguing with all these years. LOL

In all seriousness, if ever there was a movie to be made about men's professional pool, it would (SHOULD) be about Earl's life. A desolate, neurotic time bomb who shoots a mean stick.

:smile:

A pool movie would be great but I don't think you can make it work with just one player. It would have to be at least 8 different players with stories to tell.

Everyone has a story and each is similar, but different.:embarrassed2:

I'm off topic...as usual....:withstupid:

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pool movie would be great but I don't think you can make it work with just one player.

I guess you can look at it that way...but a movie along the lines of "The Wrestler" about Earl's life would be the ticket for anyone who follows pool.

Focus on Earl the man. His life, his experiences, his accomplishments, his challenges...the question is, who would play the part?

Attachments

• The_Wrestler_poster.jpg
    The_Wrestler_poster.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 475

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I ran a pic of earl on facedouble.com and it suggested james woods. I can kind of see it around the nose and chin especially. It had a few other suggestions, one of which is clint eastwood. I think clint would have no trouble with that role.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think i know her.
Is she,by any chance related to "miss demeanor?"

CJ,I was having a hard time envisioning the off-angle 1-9 combo in
my mind AND how anyone on the planet could've had the nerves to fire
in such a low percentage,potential "life changing" shot.

Execpt Earl Strickland.

Then I remembed a certain someone playing Jimmy Mataya in the finals
of a major tournament and being on the hill, "firing in" an off-angle 1-9 combo to win the event.

That certain someone was Earl Strickland (27 at the time).

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
he made it because of a certain bridge that Jimmy "King James" Rempe showed him

I think i know her.
Is she,by any chance related to "miss demeanor?"

CJ,I was having a hard time envisioning the off-angle 1-9 combo in
my mind AND how anyone on the planet could've had the nerves to fire
in such a low percentage,potential "life changing" shot.

Execpt Earl Strickland.

Then I remembed a certain someone playing Jimmy Mataya in the finals
of a major tournament and being on the hill, "firing in" an off-angle 1-9 combo to win the event.

That certain someone was Earl Strickland (27 at the time).

That's strong...he claims he made it because of a certain bridge that Jimmy "King James" Rempe showed him many years ago....only Earl, you're right.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's strong...he claims he made it because of a certain bridge that Jimmy "King James" Rempe showed him many years ago....only Earl, you're right.

In my opinion the "desire" to do it isn't enough, and "wanting/greed" isn't enough either.

In order for anyone duplicate this feat,the two (2) main ingredients needed for this recipe are this:

1. You have to be immensely talented.
2. You have be a little bit "nutty."

^sounds like Earl Strickland to me.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Forsyth is "the" best writer about anything relating to pool on the face of the earth today, bar none. :)

He's also one of my favorite commentators of pool matches, mainly because he knows so much about the players and the history, but also I kind of enjoy hearing his Southern accent. :cool:

You got that right... :)