Is there such a thing as a Brunswick Gold Crown fake?

rocshooter

Addicted
Hey everyone, first post. Thanks for the great community, I've already learned a lot!

I'm hoping those more knowledgeable than I (that's you) can help me figure out which table to invest in. I will be moving into my first home in November, and really want a table shortly afterwards. One of the requirements for house shopping has been ample room for a 9 foot table. I have been searching on craigslist for a deal, but I am picky. I have narrowed it down to a Gold Crown or a Diamond, although the selection in my area is very slim.

I found a post that seems too good to be true, but I could be wrong. It mentions that it is a "brunswick clone" and the type is "crown". I assume this is either a Gold Crown, or a knockoff? The word clone has me worried.

So my question is, how can I tell whether or not this is the real deal, or a fake? I would love to pick up a GC for 600 bucks!

Also, bonus question!: How big of a difference in playability is there between furniture-grade tables vs. a GC or Diamond. There are a fair amount of those available, but I am just not sure they are worth the investment.

Thanks!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Hey everyone, first post. Thanks for the great community, I've already learned a lot!

I'm hoping those more knowledgeable than I (that's you) can help me figure out which table to invest in. I will be moving into my first home in November, and really want a table shortly afterwards. One of the requirements for house shopping has been ample room for a 9 foot table. I have been searching on craigslist for a deal, but I am picky. I have narrowed it down to a Gold Crown or a Diamond, although the selection in my area is very slim.

I found a post that seems too good to be true, but I could be wrong. It mentions that it is a "brunswick clone" and the type is "crown". I assume this is either a Gold Crown, or a knockoff? The word clone has me worried.

Welcome to the forum.

So my question is, how can I tell whether or not this is the real deal, or a fake? I would love to pick up a GC for 600 bucks!

Also, bonus question!: How big of a difference in playability is there between furniture-grade tables vs. a GC or Diamond. There are a fair amount of those available, but I am just not sure they are worth the investment.

Thanks!

I do believe there are fakes but I can't direct you to the threads where they are mentioned. As far as the difference between competition tables and furniture tables...I guess it depends on where your game is as a player and how serious you are about the game.

I had a Olhausen for fourteen years and sold it for a Diamond pro and have never looked back. Night and Day for me.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Thanks!

Off my head I don't remember the names but yes I have seen so Asian Copies that certainly resemble the Gold Crown in every detail.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
There are AMF tables that look like Gold Crowns. There are people here who know way more than me about this stuff, but I think the AMF tables are almost exact copies of the Brunswick.

If you can afford it get the best and beefiest table, it will hold up the to the test of time.

Good luck.

Stan

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are tables made in Canada that are called Black Crowns they are not
Brunswick. Are you close to Canada?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Thanks!

Some of us have more in customization and set-up costs than the table is worth.

If money is an issue, try to find a table that plays exactly like you want it. By the time you add decent rubber and recloth a table by a decent mechanic you might be looking at $800 - $1000 in extras.

Any name brand table, whether furniture type or pool room style, should play OK. To make it play great, you'll usually need to customize it.

My feeling is it's better to save up your money and buy a table you can keep for a lifetime, than it is to buy a junky table you'll replace in a few years. I paid just over $3000 for a used Brunswick Gibson that was already customized - and I'm keeping it for life. I had more than that in my entry level Olhausen and the Olhausen is nothing in comparison with the Gibson.

Last edited:

rocshooter

Addicted
There are tables made in Canada that are called Black Crowns they are not
Brunswick. Are you close to Canada?

I am close to Canada. The guy says the table is a Brunswick, so perhaps I am worrying over nothing. I will be receiving pictures this weekend, so hopefully it will all be cleared up soon. I'm just so anxious :grin:

rocshooter

Addicted
There are AMF tables that look like Gold Crowns. There are people here who know way more than me about this stuff, but I think the AMF tables are almost exact copies of the Brunswick.

If you can afford it get the best and beefiest table, it will hold up the to the test of time.

Good luck.

Stan

Thanks for the wishes & info Stan. I have seen a few AMF tables on craigslist and you are right, they look extremely similar to a Gold Crown. At least they are clearly marked as an AMF table, so I am not concerned about that.

I plan on purchasing the best and beefiest! Invest in quality once and it will pay for itself.

rocshooter

Addicted
Some of us have more in customization and set-up costs than the table is worth.

If money is an issue, try to find a table that plays exactly like you want it. By the time you add decent rubber and recloth a table by a decent mechanic you might be looking at $800 - $1000 in extras.

Any name brand table, whether furniture type or pool room style, should play OK. To make it play great, you'll usually need to customize it.

My feeling is it's better to save up your money and buy a table you can keep for a lifetime, than it is to buy a number of junky tables. I paid just over $3000 for a used Brunswick Gibson that was already customized - and I'm keeping it for life. I had more than that in my entry level Olhausen and the Olhausen is nothing in comparison with the Gibson.

How many things can be customized on a table. I am only aware of: Resurfacing the cloth, new rails, & changing the cut of the pockets (this is mostly the rails..right?). Are there any other things I should be mindful of when making a purchase or upgrading my own table?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Hi rocshooter and welcome to az.

My sincere recommendation would be to avoid an import that is listed as a "clone" of a brunswick gold crown.

real gold crowns are available on the market as these were the prevalent tables found in many commercial rooms. it my take a little while to see one come available within striking distance of where you live but unless you're in a very remote area, something should turn up. There was a fewwlo az'er in maryland who, not too long ago, bought one from a roo that was going out of biz for something ridiculous like $300. It's not uncommon for these to be priced around $1000 give or take a few hundred, for ones in good shape.

Diamonds are incredible tables but typically will run a couple thousand more.

Diamonds and Gold Crowns (real ones :wink:) are lifetime tables, engineered to take a good amount of abuse in commercial settings.

Another table to consider, but comparitively there are much fewer of these, would be Gandy. They, too, are great tables built like a tank. :cool:

And, as Tate pointed out, get a competent table mechanic to set up the table you end up with. This will make all the difference regarding playability.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted on how you make out.

best,
brian kc

rocshooter

Addicted
Hi rocshooter and welcome to az.

My sincere recommendation would be to avoid an import that is listed as a "clone" of a brunswick gold crown.

real gold crowns are available on the market as these were the prevalent tables found in many commercial rooms. it my take a little while to see one come available within striking distance of where you live but unless you're in a very remote area, something should turn up. There was a fewwlo az'er in maryland who, not too long ago, bought one from a roo that was going out of biz for something ridiculous like $300. It's not uncommon for these to be priced around $1000 give or take a few hundred, for ones in good shape.

Diamonds are incredible tables but typically will run a couple thousand more.

Diamonds and Gold Crowns (real ones :wink:) are lifetime tables, engineered to take a good amount of abuse in commercial settings.

Another table to consider, but comparitively there are much fewer of these, would be Gandy. They, too, are great tables built like a tank. :cool:

And, as Tate pointed out, get a competent table mechanic to set up the table you end up with. This will make all the difference regarding playability.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted on how you make out.

best,
brian kc

Hey kc, thanks for the tips! I am really shooting for a diamond. Unfortunately, those are not that much cheaper used. I see a lot of new 7' and 8' ones for sale here on az, maybe a few years old, asking for 3k+. I have also seen several older 9' diamonds that have been customized for less than that. Are there any downsides to getting an older table, assuming it is in good condition?

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am close to Canada. The guy says the table is a Brunswick, so perhaps I am worrying over nothing. I will be receiving pictures this weekend, so hopefully it will all be cleared up soon. I'm just so anxious :grin:

Maybe the seller has heard of Gold Crowns and it only says Crown, or Black Crown on the name plate, I have never seen one in person. There are pictures if you Google Canadian Black Crown pool tables, then you'll have an idea. Good Luck. The commercial table looks a lot like a Gold Crown.

Last edited:

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Olio pro series that is, IMO, an exact copy of a gold crown. Plays very nice ( Brunswick super speed rails and 860 HR cloth) and I honestly can not tell any difference from the many many gold crowns I have played on over the years.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
So what are the differences between a REAL Chinese made Gold Crown and a FAKE Chinese made Gold Crown? Brunswick doesnt make tables anymore they lease out their name and have them made by commission is my understanding. What if the same company made the REAL ones and the FAKE ones. Hard to tell at that point?

Seneca Steve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Olio pro series that is, IMO, an exact copy of a gold crown. Plays very nice ( Brunswick super speed rails and 860 HR cloth) and I honestly can not tell any difference from the many many gold crowns I have played on over the years.

I have a table that is a combination of an Olio and Gold Crown V. The leg pedestals and skirts are Olio. The frame and slate are Gold Crown V. The rails are new brunswick. This table was built by table mechanic Mark Gregory. Plays great with 41/8 pockets corner and sides. This table greatly resembles a Gold Crown III

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what are the differences between a REAL Chinese made Gold Crown and a FAKE Chinese made Gold Crown? Brunswick doesnt make tables anymore they lease out their name and have them made by commission is my understanding. What if the same company made the REAL ones and the FAKE ones. Hard to tell at that point?

FYI - Chinese made Gold Crowns are a VERY recent development.
But, Brunswick hasn't made GCs since - IIUC -the late 1970s.
They were "outsourced" to Wurrlitzer at first - I always presummed
the other tables were made by them also. I don't know if any other
outsourcers were involved.

Dale

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

Too bad you're not on the West Coast. I have a line on quite a few Gold Crowns for sale. By the way, the AMF lookalike table was an excellent pool table. Imperial also made a similar looking table but it was not near the quality of a Gold Crown. I've seen the Chinese and Philippine copies and they are also NOT anything like the real deal! There is one outfit making a copy of the Gold Crown V and I got underneath and looked at the guts of the table. NO THANKS is all I have to say. We used it in a tournament over there and they had to re-level it every day and it still rolled off. It's one thing to make a copy and another to make a real pool table.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

So far as I know - Brunswick never offered a "clone" of a Gold Crown,
At least, not in the way I would use the term.

There were Asian tables in the late 80s to 90s that were good copies
of Gold Crowns - but they most certainly were not Brunswicks.

Of course, the seller might use the term "clone" more loosely than I would.

Pics are a good idea. Don't buy the table unless someone who can tell
for sure can verify what it is/or is not for you.

Dale

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Thanks!

There are TONS of Brunswick Gold Crown knockoffs as well as knockoffs of all their tables. Most of the Gold Crown and Metro knockoffs stay out of the USA due to Brunswick's legal team staying on top of it. I have occasionally seen the knockoffs for sale in the US though but never in a big way.

I have heard that in Taiwan through the 90s and early 2000s there were companies making COUNTERFEIT tables which bore the Brunswick name as well as the design. I wouldn't doubt that there are still companies trying to steal the brand. In China Brunswick has made a deal with Yalin, one of the larger companies here, to have Yalin produce the Gold Crowns in Asia. Presumably this puts Yalin's legal team on Brunswick's side in the China market.

Generally in the pool rooms here there will often be a few genuine Gold Crowns up front and the rest will all be knockoffs. But pretty good knockoffs in some places, hard for the average player to know or feel the difference. Although I am sure there must be significant differences.

I would tend to say that if you are buying a Brunswick branded table in the USA then you are probably going to be getting a genuine Brunswick and not a counterfeit one. The word clone is just a different way of saying knockoff. Technically a clone would be a table built exactly like the Gold Crown and frankly that's unlikely to be true. If you can afford it then buy the table that has a reputation for quality, which would be the Diamond or the Gold Crown. At least there you have two reputable companies who do stand behind their products.