Who Has Played CJ??

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
time

Might be able to outrun the nuts, but we will never be lucky enough to outrun the rath of time.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall,
Is past his prime. Do you want to play him 9 ball? He still wins tournaments and play jammed up 9 ball, one pocket, and 10 ball. He gets a lot of action, but has to give up a lot weight to get it.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Freddie<-------- Might play C J since he is past his prime?

I think you completely missed the entire point of my complimenting CJ Wiley.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are all the people on AZB who say they can run a 9-10 pack? Seems they should be able to make some money here. Well --- maybe some of them were exaggerating a little.

Seems to me anyone who says he can run 9 racks of 9-Ball should be able to give CJ a game.

Well stated Joe.

As much as I like CJ and enjoy his play I aint even going to invite him up to St. Louis to play. I watched him play George Breedlove and Tom Ferry.

One TOI player playing another TOI player............that would be brutal.

Although 20 bucks a game is a cheap price to pay for lessons. :smile:

John

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the "spectrum's" are a bit unusual.......The "Plot" thickens

Yeah, I think Buddy is past his prime also. Just like a lot of us older players.

Buddy is one H*ll of a bar table player, but just can't compete consistently with the y0unger guns out there.

Facts are hard to face sometimes

Yes, I agree, it's important to "face" reality. The problem is my reality's getting ironic, even paradoxical at times.

FOR EXAMPLE:

On this Pool Forum players are debating whether I'm "past my prime" and "too old" to play a game as grueling and physically demanding as pocket billiards.

On the contrary - I receive a letter this weekend from the founder of "Pool, Poker, and Pain" that I won't be allowed to compete against "the young inexperienced USA Pool Professionals" at the recreational "game" of P.P.&P.:confused:

I guess I"m either "too old, or too young" for both ends of the spectrum, however the "spectrum's" are confusing, I wonder what's coming next?.......The "Plot of Pool" thickens ;) 'The Game is the Teacher'

tumblr_lfyz5l3hY01qzuyazo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Yes, I agree, it's important to "face" reality. The problem is my reality getting ironic ironic, even paradoxical at times.

FOR EXAMPLE:

On this Pool Forum players are debating whether I'm "past my prime" and "too old" to play a game as grueling and physical demanding as pocket billiards.

On the contrary - I receive a letter this weekend from the founder of "Pool, Poker, and Pain" that I won't be allowed to compete against "the young inexperienced USA Pool Professionals" at the recreational "game" of P.P.&P.:confused:

I guess I"m either "too old, or too young" for both ends of the spectrum, however the "spectrum's" are confusing, I wonder what's coming next?.......The "Plot of Pool" thickens ;) 'The Game is the Teacher'

Aside from a whole lot of game left in your old, dilapidated, body, you are also way too clever from the group CJ.

You have almost everyone perplexed and guessing: too old?, past your prime?, faking it? better than ever? best marketer in the business? Asid efrom you, no one else knows for sure, but, no one's stepping up. I think they doth protest way too much.

Either way, if I had to show my cards, I'd find it hard to bet or root against you.

J

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Interesting. Thanks for the link.

To be honest, for the cash John Schmidt would have done the same to almost anybody except the very top tier world beaters. He's not a good guy to try to get in stroke with.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He's past his prime, but in his prime he proved himself against everyone in an era Hall of Famers.

This is correct. At one time during Efren's peak, CJ chased him all over the country to play him for SERIOUS money, tens of K's per set! And that was 20 years ago. They played several times (9-Ball and Ten Ball) and CJ ended up winners. He can tell you more.

CJ is NOT too old for anything! You better believe that. This is a well conditioned athlete who never abused his body. I saw him play many times and he was the real deal, a top five player for sure. In fact the only guys I would have picked over him in his prime are Buddy, Parica, Bustamante and Johnny (with the last two being a toss up). Earl and Sigel may have played him even for the cash, just maybe. I'm not so sure they wanted any. Pretty short list there! :cool:
CJ was a high altitude player for sure!

Last edited:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is correct. At one time during Efren's peak, CJ chased him all over the country to play him for SERIOUS money, tens of K's per set! And that was 20 years ago. They played several times (9-Ball and Ten Ball) and CJ ended up winners. He can tell you more.

CJ is NOT too old for anything! You better believe that. This is a well conditioned athlete who never abused his body. I saw him play many times and he was the real deal, a top five player for sure. In fact the only guys I would have picked over him in his prime are Buddy, Parica, Bustamante and Johnny (with the last two being a toss up). Earl and Sigel may have played him even for the cash, just maybe. I'm not so sure they wanted any. Pretty short list there! :cool:

Thanks, Mr. Jay,
For setting the record straight!

How are you and the family? How is your trip going? Keep safe.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I agree, it's important to "face" reality. The problem is my reality's getting ironic, even paradoxical at times.

FOR EXAMPLE:

On this Pool Forum players are debating whether I'm "past my prime" and "too old" to play a game as grueling and physical demanding as pocket billiards.

Love the pic. Now you're going 'old school'. Stirring it up. Hope you get some action. It will be interesting.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Great post Jay. I am 100% in agreement with this post and is exatly what I was trying convey in mine. How anyone thought I was doing anything else is unbelievable for me as CJ Wiley was my second favorite player to watch in his word championship form.

Freddie <~~~ CJ Wiley fan

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw him in action on the table next to me at the Big Tyme Billiards tournament last month in Houston. He was playing a short stop in one pocket. I couldn't watch because I was in action my self, but I know he took down the cash.

i watched this and had some interest in it,I had never even seen him play any one pocket. he played real well and smoked Little John. Little John missed a one ball that was harder to miss than make.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timeline 1850...CJ Wiley, Bounty Hunter/ fast gun, rides slowly into town.
Who was on that fast horse that just left the other end of town?
"Clint Eastwood, and he said he doesn't have any beef with CJ Wiley."

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest, for the cash John Schmidt would have done the same to almost anybody except the very top tier world beaters. He's not a good guy to try to get in stroke with.

Honestly, that's the main thing I found interesting about it. I love seeing or reading/hearing about top players catching monster gears like that.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are all the people on AZB who say they can run a 9-10 pack? Seems they should be able to make some money here. Well --- maybe some of them were exaggerating a little.

Seems to me anyone who says he can run 9 racks of 9-Ball should be able to give CJ a game.

I don't remember anyone one that said they can run 9 racks. Not a lot of top pros will say they can run 9 racks more than a few times a year.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would like to see him play Earl on a tight 5x10

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I would like to see CJ matching up but not until he's focused on it
I'd like to see him play JS again. Wonder if that's on his bucket list
Really though, how many top players take the time to interact with fans like CJ, Hell I feel like I know him

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When he was in stroke in the 90s no one except maybe Earl was more fun to watch play 9ball fluid and ran out like water. I can say this I have taken many a road player on some trips and Dallas was one of about 5 cities that had a major roadblock