What Was the Match of the Year in 2013?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Here are my nominees for best pro match of the year in pool in 2013:

1) Dechaine vs Pagulayan at Derby City 9-ball, semifinals
Both players in very good form, and it got to double hill. Dechaine played a near perfect safety and Pagulayan kicked eighteen feet at the one ball and somehow pocketed it. Alex still had to come with a difficult two ball and was up to the challenge, and ended up the 9-8 winner, advancing to the final, where he would beat Putnam to win the title.

2) Orcullo vs Morris at the US Open 10-ball at the BCAPL National Championships
Orcullo had already won the US Open 1-pocket in the first pro event at the BCAPL's and had a 9-2 lead in the race to 11 final against Rodney Morris. What seemed a laugher turned on a dime and Rodney got on a massive roll to complete the improbable comeback and snap off the event. Absolutely breathtaking!

3) Van Boening vs Biado at the US Open 8-ball at the BCAPL National Championships
Each player ran 9 of his first ten racks from the break and the finals stood at 10-10 in a win by two format. At 11-11, Biado made the fatal mistake and Shane ran out for a truly memorable 13-11 win.

4) Philippines vs Taipei, Semifinal at the World Cup of Pool
This scotch doubles match featured four of the world's greatest players, with the match being JL Chang and Ko Pin Yi vs Dennis Orcullo and Lee Vann Corteza. The Filippinos were near perfect in gaining a 7-2 lead in the race to 9. When they broke dry at 7-2, Chang and Ko ran that rack and four more to tie it at 7-7! When they broke dry at 7-7, however, the Filippinos ran two racks and out to complete one of the most impressive matches I've seen in all my years around pro pool.

So those are my top four. Which match was best?

Do you think any other matches are worthy of consideration for match of the year in 2013? If so, please note them here.

Last edited:

Joe T

3 was one of the best matches I've e ever seen. I've always wanted to see players trade blows exactly like that.

ralphe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really picked some good ones. I totally agree on these.

The first match that came to my mind was also the Biado vs. SVB match at the US Open 8-Ball. That was really something to watch.

And how about the TAR 34 One Pocket Efren vs. Shane.
How well did Efren start of that match just to see a comeback from Shane and the final decider. Crazy. I love it.

How about MC?
Well short race, but that Match when Ralf crawled back to take it from Hatch had definitely something. :wink:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Both players in very good form, and it got to double hill. Dechaine played a near perfect safety and Pagulayan kicked eighteen feet at the one ball and somehow pocketed it. Alex still had to come with a difficult two ball and was up to the challenge, and ended up the 9-8 winner, advancing to the final, where he would beat Putnam to win the title.

Orcullo had already won the US Open 1-pocket in the first pro event at the BCAPL's and had a 9-2 lead in the race to 11 final against Rodney Morris. What seemed a laugher turned on a dime and Rodney got on a massive roll to complete the improbable comeback and snap off the event. Absolutely breathtaking!

3) Van Boening vs Biado at the US Open 8-ball at the BCAPL National Championships
Each player ran 9 of his first ten racks from the break and the match stood at 10-10 in a win by two format. At 11-11, Biado made the fatal mistake and Shane ran out for a truly memorable 13-11 win.

This scotch doubles match featured four of the world's greatest players, with the match being JL Chang and Ko Pin Yi vs Dennis Orcullo and Lee Vann Corteza. The Filippinos were near perfect in gaining a 7-2 lead in the race to 9. When they broke dry at 7-2, Chang and Ko ran that rack and four more to tie it at 7-7! When they broke dry at 7-7, however, the Filippinos ran two racks and out to complete one of the most impressive matches I've seen in all my years around pro pool.

Do you think any other matches are worthy of consideration for match of the year in 2013? If so, please note them here.

My God, if two players EACH ran out 9 of their first 10 racks each, in a race to 13, I don't know how anything could rate higher than that on the ladder.
JoeyA

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Each player ran 9 of his first ten racks from the break and the match stood at 10-10 in a win by two format. At 11-11, Biado made the fatal mistake and Shane ran out for a truly memorable 13-11 win.

Number 3 was it for me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You know, I'm thinking it may have been Match 4, but I'll keep an open mind.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that the match (match #4) where in the final game Dennis played bad position
after making the 8 ball, and Lee Vann made it and saved the day.
I'll not forget the look Lee Vann gave Dennis.

Or was that in the finals?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Was that the match (match #4) where in the final game Dennis played bad position
after making the 8 ball, and Lee Vann made it and saved the day.
I'll not forget the look Lee Vann gave Dennis.

Or was that in the finals?

I believe that was in the final against Team Netherlands (Feijen and Vandenberg).

The number 1 match of the year was undoubtedly the semi final match between Appleton and Bustamante during the World 14.1 Championships in which where Daz became the first player to ever run 200 and out in world competition.

Surprised this historic match was overlooked.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The number 1 match of the year was undoubtedly the semi final match between Appleton and Bustamante during the World 14.1 Championships in which where Daz became the first player to ever run 200 and out in world competition.

I considered it but thought that a match that wasn't competitive didn't merit inclusion on the list of the year's greatest matches.

In the greatest achievement of the year category, Appleton's 200 and out might just top the list.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Match #3

Are you silly. No 14.1 is making match of the year.
And it's not a World sanctioned tourney. Nor should anything that perv ever touches be remotely considered for a world sanctioned event.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Match #3

Are you silly. No 14.1 is making match of the year.
And it's not a World sanctioned tourney. Nor should anything that perv ever touches be remotely considered for a world sanctioned event.

It was still the first 200 ball run ever I competition. It just wasn't a good match.

Can't argue with those who select Match 3, although Match 4 still remains one of the more remarkable matches I've ever seen.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I will go with no 2, losing 9-2 against the best known pool player on the planted AND COMING BACK TO WIN, is something that will never ever be done again!

But everyone you mention here SJM are glorifying classic!

Great post MR!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I will go with no 2, losing 9-2 against the best known pool player on the planted AND COMING BACK TO WIN, is something that will never ever be done again!

Great post MR!

Good point. Coming from far back against an Orcullo is near impossible, and this happened in a final. Truly remarkable.

Joe T

Great post MR!

Nick Varner on Mike Sigel Us Open ;)
Definintely not meant to take away from that gr8 comeback, it just came to mind is all. That's when Nick become my first ever pool idol.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nick Varner on Mike Sigel Us Open ;)
Definintely not meant to take away from that gr8 comeback, it just came to mind is all. That's when Nick become my first ever pool idol.

Yup, remember that one, though it was over 20 years ago. Also, Efren came back from 10-1 down to Allen Hopkins at the BCA Open one year at the Riviera. Comebacks of this magnitude are rare indeed, Joe.

Last edited:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to throw one in for consideration. Accu-stats One Pocket invitational, SVB up 2-0 in a race to 3 and Corey Deuel comes back and wins the match with some great shooting. One of my favorite matches ever ... possibly because when Corey came back to win it i won the $1000 teaser that Accu-stats tossed in. :) Even so, it was a great match and a great come-back.