What Was the Match of the Year in 2013?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I would like to throw one in for consideration. Accu-stats One Pocket invitational, SVB up 2-0 in a race to 3 and Corey Deuel comes back and wins the match with some great shooting. One of my favorite matches ever ... possibly because when Corey came back to win it i won the $1000 teaser that Accu-stats tossed in. :) Even so, it was a great match and a great come-back.

Thanks for this. My choices, of course, are restricted to matches I saw either live or on stream. This is one match I missed.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed all the Van-Van matches at the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. He handed out a goose egg or two, if memory serves me right, en route to the semifinals. The one with Niels Feijen was remarkable, how he came back from the dead. Same when he played Shane Van Boening. This kid's got firepower! :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I enjoyed all the Van-Van matches at the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. He handed out a goose egg or two, if memory serves me right, en route to the semifinals. The one with Niels Feijen was remarkable, how he came back from the dead. Same when he played Shane Van Boening. This kid's got firepower! :)

Yeah, Lee Vann Corteza is a great player to watch. His US Open 9-ball quarterfinal match vs Feijen wasn't very well-played, but his semi against Jayson Shaw was a beauty and merits consideration for match of the year. Thanks for the reminder.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are my nominees for best pro match of the year in pool in 2013:

1) Dechaine vs Pagulayan at Derby City 9-ball, semifinals
Both players in very good form, and it got to double hill. Dechaine played a near perfect safety and Pagulayan kicked eighteen feet at the one ball and somehow pocketed it. Alex still had to come with a difficult two ball and was up to the challenge, and ended up the 9-8 winner, advancing to the final, where he would beat Putnam to win the title.

2) Orcullo vs Morris at the US Open 10-ball at the BCAPL National Championships
Orcullo had already won the US Open 1-pocket in the first pro event at the BCAPL's and had a 9-2 lead in the race to 11 final against Rodney Morris. What seemed a laugher turned on a dime and Rodney got on a massive roll to complete the improbable comeback and snap off the event. Absolutely breathtaking!

3) Van Boening vs Biado at the US Open 8-ball at the BCAPL National Championships
Each player ran 9 of his first ten racks from the break and the match stood at 10-10 in a win by two format. At 11-11, Biado made the fatal mistake and Shane ran out for a truly memorable 13-11 win.

4) Philippines vs Taipei, Semifinal at the World Cup of Pool
This scotch doubles match featured four of the world's greatest players, with the match being JL Chang and Ko Pin Yi vs Dennis Orcullo and Lee Vann Corteza. The Filippinos were near perfect in gaining a 7-2 lead in the race to 9. When they broke dry at 7-2, Chang and Ko ran that rack and four more to tie it at 7-7! When they broke dry at 7-7, however, the Filippinos ran two racks and out to complete one of the most impressive matches I've seen in all my years around pro pool.

So those are my top four. Which match was best?

Do you think any other matches are worthy of consideration for match of the year in 2013? If so, please note them here.

Stu KNOWS!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I missed that one. Please clarify.

svb vs efren - did a TAR 3 day all around, @ 6 months ago? 1 pocket, 8 ball and either 9 or 10 ball. The one pocket match was legendary. It was sick. Hill Hill I believe.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This is a little bit different than the other matches that have been mentioned, but I have to put in a vote for Daz's 200 and out in the World Tournament semi-finals. By its nature it was not a close contest, but a truly history making feat warrant its placement on the list .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is a little bit different than the other matches that have been mentioned, but I have to put in a vote for Daz's 200 and out in the World Tournament semi-finals. By its nature it was not a close contest, but a truly history making feat warrant its placement on the list .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post #11 in this thread will evidence that you are not alone in this view.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Don't know of any.

I checked youtube earlier today and didn't find video links for any of the matches, except the last two balls in the ten ball match between Morris and Orcullo.

JoeyA

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Svb vs biado for me. I wish the match would be uploaded or madr avail for purchase.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I checked youtube earlier today and didn't find video links for any of the matches, except the last two balls in the ten ball match between Morris and Orcullo.

JoeyA

Too bad. The 8-ball final at the BCAPL was surely the best pro match played on American soil in 2013. It's so rare that two truly elite players get into the zone at the same time in a tournament final, but it happened with Shane and Biado in July at the Rio. Whether one saw it live or on stream, it was simply unforgettable. One fascination about this match for me was that Shane seemed to use his 10-ball break and it was just as effective in 8-ball.

Has anyone ever played better pool in defeat than Biado played in this match? I truly wonder.

Last edited:

Joe T

Has anyone ever played better pool in defeat than Biado played in this match? I truly wonder.
Maybe Orcullo when Shane beat him in the TAR 8 ball match? I don't "think" Dennis ever missed in that match, just came up dry a few too many times.