Here we go again - Another bad seller thread

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So it wasn't exactly as advertised........ you have not mentioned anything bad about the cue so I assume that it is a nice cue.

The seller was obviously not a cue maker or he would have known..........

So bite the bulled and buy a shaft with a 3/8-11 thread and sell the other one.............

Be happy

Kim
Ouch...I could not disagree with you more than I do.

FAT_32

Registered
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So it wasn't exactly as advertised........ you have not mentioned anything bad about the cue so I assume that it is a nice cue.

So bite the bulled and buy a shaft with a 3/8-11 thread and sell the other one.............

Be happy

Kim

Realy??? WOW!
I am speechless.....

barking4action

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
This is very simple !!!

He should get his money back on the cue, plain and simple. It was sold with a wrong representation and A big one.
Everyone knows the pin is important on a cue, especially a playing cue.

I agree he should have waited before buying a shaft but he is stuck with the shaft now. He deserves his money back on cue.

Do what's right and refund the money on the cue !!!!

Anyone who thinks different is stupid. If you are expecting a 3/8 10 pin you should get it. Not the buyers fault seller was misinformed.
So it has the same pin as a southwest cue. Those hit good. After leaving good feedback hard to return it. The seller probably spent the $ after receiving the positve feedback.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Radial pins are funny with size and makers. I can see both sides of this issue. I would not want to sell a cue to someone trying to use THEIR shaft with the cue! I think the buyer is OBLIGATED to disclose that is his intent! Without saying your purchase is predicated on XYZ shaft fitting the butt is pretty UNFAIR.

The seller is not a mind reader and who wants to send a cue to someone under the condition it works with XYZ shaft. I would fear being stuck with shipping their and back and the hassle would make it unappealing.

I could see the issue of it being not as described if it was 5/16 vs 3/8 but not 3/8 11 vs 3/8 10 !

Just my thoughts!

Kd

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
So they must be the same pin and interchangeable right? Your analogy doesn't really work. They are all different pins. a 3/8x11 is as different to a 3/8x10 as a 5/16x14 is to a 5/16x18 or a 3/8x10 to a radial pin. None of them are interchangeable.

I could see the issue of it being not as described if it was 5/16 vs 3/8 but not 3/8 11 vs 3/8 10 !

Just my thoughts!

Kd

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I agree with Lisa, the seller should know what he is selling.
But on the bright side, if the mistake was the other way around, you would be stuck with a 3/8-11 Hybrid shaft.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
Radial pins are funny with size and makers. I can see both sides of this issue. I would not want to sell a cue to someone trying to use THEIR shaft with the cue! I think the buyer is OBLIGATED to disclose that is his intent! Without saying your purchase is predicated on XYZ shaft fitting the butt is pretty UNFAIR.

The seller is not a mind reader and who wants to send a cue to someone under the condition it works with XYZ shaft. I would fear being stuck with shipping their and back and the hassle would make it unappealing.

Just my thoughts!

Kd

The thread size of the joint is of utmost importance. 3/8x10 cues are very common. 3/8x11 are less common. A person with a collection of 3/8x10 pin cues may have no interest in a 3/8x11.

A seller has a duty to accurately describe what he has for sale. This is a billiards thread. A person listing on this thread should take the effort required to list the item correctly (contact the cuemaker, etc). The thread of the joint is extremely important in determining the desirability of the cue to a particular person.

While I would PERSONALLY keep the cue and pay for the shaft fix myself, I totally understand the OP's position. The cue was NOT AS DESCRIBED.

Joe

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
147   0   0

Be happy

Kim

Knowledge of pin size is the responsibility of all sellers period..
With your stance I'll be sure to avoid you and your cues...

kntbeach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like he likes the cue. I agree that the seller should have given refund, I would have. But to make such a fuss over 25$ seems like a waste of time. I just do not get the whole "pin is so important" deal. I have cues with all different pins, none make may game any better or worse.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It sounds like he likes the cue. I agree that the seller should have given refund, I would have. But to make such a fuss over 25$ seems like a waste of time. I just do not get the whole "pin is so important" deal. I have cues with all different pins, none make may game any better or worse.

Because some people only play with certain pins. Since the pin is a major component in a cue's construction, it is considered a spec, and should be noted correctly.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The thread size of the joint is of utmost importance. 3/8x10 cues are very common. 3/8x11 are less common. A person with a collection of 3/8x10 pin cues may have no interest in a 3/8x11.

A seller has a duty to accurately describe what he has for sale. This is a billiards thread. A person listing on this thread should take the effort required to list the item correctly (contact the cuemaker, etc). The thread of the joint is extremely important in determining the desirability of the cue to a particular person.

While I would PERSONALLY keep the cue and pay for the shaft fix myself, I totally understand the OP's position. The cue was NOT AS DESCRIBED.

Joe

I get your point on "not as described" but, i see no malice on the part of seller in my opinion and that is big with me!!!!

you avoided/omitted my point about the buyers obligation to disclose the sale being predicated on xyz shaft fitting??? Why not disclose this info??? some pins are not sunk far enough and some too far making each shaft fit unique. So, if the new shaft is drilled improperly and should have worked is it the sellers fault? what if the cue maker sunk the pin to far or not far enough?

i think you get my point. I just believe COMMUNICATION is the responsibility of both parties in any sale and not disclosing the use of after market shafts or another shaft not designed for the cue is vital information.

KD

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I would rather keep the cue. It is a really pretty cue. If his response was "Hey honest mistake, what can I do to make it right?" I would have prob said no harm no foul and ill just deal with it. He came back at me that its my fault, and that if it was him he would just "own" it. Basically saying not my problem, which I didn't take as being genuine when I was misinformed in the first place. If it had the right pin listed there would be no issue at all right now. When I immediately asked (after trying a 3/8x10 on it) if it was a 3/8x11, he said he has no reason to believe me that it was a 3/8x11. That is when I had the cuemaker confirm it.

For sure he should take it back. this is not exactly a knowledgeable seller.

But...I've had many shafts changed out from one type of insert or thread to another. There are several ways this can be done as long as the cue maker has the correct die. Why don't you talk to a cue maker about adapting the shaft you have to the cue? Or just return the shaft and have another one adapted to it. It's inexpensive.

By the way, with all the copy-cat, import, out of spec joints out there, I never buy an aftermarket shaft just expecting it to automatically fit my cue well. I like to have a cue maker fit the shaft anyway. They can make it perfect, check joint alignment, etc. I usually buy partials and have them fitted. This is one way to customize your cue to your specs, not somebody else's.

Last edited:

kntbeach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure I agree, but the op does not say he only plays with one pin size. That not being his issue why not just get the new shaft resized and move on? But like I said I would have refunded no questions asked.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
I get your point on "not as described" but, i see no malice on the part of seller in my opinion and that is big with me!!!!

you avoided/omitted my point about the buyers obligation to disclose the sale being predicated on xyz shaft fitting??? Why not disclose this info??? some pins are not sunk far enough and some too far making each shaft fit unique. So, if the new shaft is drilled improperly and should have worked is it the sellers fault? what if the cue maker sunk the pin to far or not far enough?

i think you get my point. I just believe COMMUNICATION is the responsibility of both parties in any sale and not disclosing the use of after market shafts or another shaft not designed for the cue is vital information.

KD

The fact that he had a shaft he wanted to use on the cue is irrelevant.

The cue was listed as a cue with a 3/8x10 joint. That was wrong. I am certain that it was an honest mistake, but it was still wrong. The cue was inaccurately described in the listing.

Joe

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
So because I didn't tell him I was going to use another shaft, I am responsible for the pin not being what I was told? If he said a ld 3/8x10 shaft wouldn't fit, would that cover the fact that its a different pin all together. Why did I not mention it, because I didn't own it yet for one. The other, if it was a 3/8x10 and the shaft I bought wouldn't fit, it would be on me. It not fitting because its a completely different pin is another thing. He isnt responsible for the shaft not fitting, if it didn't fit the pin that I was sold, which wasn't what it actually had. He is though responsible for the pin being wrong, and that is why I offered either a return or a cheaper option to get the shaft fixed. That offer came after the seller trying to skirt his responsibility of knowing what he is selling.

KD

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I would never buy an aftermarket shaft for a cue until I had the butt in my possession and knew more about the pin the cuemaker used. Some cuemakers play around with different pins and since a lot of cuemakers turn their own pins, they have their own bastardized pin geometry that might not fall in line with a UTS or ANSI standard thread.

That being said, not all pins of the same diameter and thread count are the same. Some pins may have different minor diameters, pitch, etc. so that a 3/8-10 shaft from X cuemaker might not fit on an aftermarket 3/8-10 shaft from Y cuemaker.

Based on that, if the seller correctly represented the cue and you bought an aftermarket shaft with the correct pin size and count and it didn't fit, then you are on the hook for the mistake in not doing your due diligence in determining the correct pin. Since that is not the case here, both of you are really at fault. If I was the seller I would split the cost to return the shaft for a new one or split the cost to get it tapped to the correct pin geometry and end all of the drama there. Both need to chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Kelly

Last edited:

Wright Shot

Sugartree Madness
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would never buy an aftermarket shaft for a cue until I had the butt in my possession and knew more about the pin the cuemaker used. Some cuemakers play around with different pins and since a lot of cuemakers turn their own pins, they have their own bastardized pin geometry that might not fall in line with a UTS or ANSI standard thread.

That being said, not all pins of the same diameter and thread count are the same. Some pins may have different minor diameters, pitch, etc. so that a 3/8-10 shaft from X cuemaker might not fit on an aftermarket 3/8-10 shaft from Y cuemaker.

Based on that, if the seller correctly represented the cue and you bought an aftermarket shaft with the correct pin size and count and it didn't fit, then you are on the hook for the mistake in not doing your due diligence in determining the correct pin. Since that is not the case here, both of you are really at fault. If I was the seller I would split the cost to return the shaft for a new one or split the cost to get it tapped to the correct pin geometry and end all of the drama there. Both need to chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Kelly

+1

Chris

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   2

Be happy

Kim
Not to easy to do I think. 3/8 x 11 on aftermarket shafts is not common. 3/8 x 10 is. No production maker I know uses 3/8 x 11 so the aftermarket shaft makers don't make many. South West and numerous other custom makers who use 11 thread represent a very small % of total cue sales.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
All I know is AZ is killing my Jiffy Pop case... :grin:

Seller should have refunded or paid to get the shaft reworked.

jiffy-pop.gif

JV

Billyard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Since the shaft is new; why not return it? The seller should pay for the shaft re-stocking fee which should be about $20... then call it a day.

Seems like an honest mistake and easy to rectify.

I had a Carmeli that I could never figure out the pin on.... was sold to me as a 3/8x10... when a shaft would not work I was told it was a 3/8x11.. in the end I think it was a big pin 3/8x10 but I sold the cue before I had a chance to validate... I listed the cue and sold as a 3/8x11.......