Earl Crushes Morra in 9-Ball

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John said something to Earl about him talking while John was at the table shooting. It was like a 30 second scuffle between the two of them that was essentially "no YOU shut up" back and forth a few times. Wasn't a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How strong is his black vest? "5 Time Us Open Champion" and "5 Time World Champion" if I'm not mistaken nobody else in the world can make the same claim.

How strong is his black vest? "5 Time Us Open Champion" and "5 Time World Champion" if I'm not mistaken nobody else in the world can make the same claim.

6 time world champion

Why was Morra kicking 3 rails and calling to make balls? You gotta play safe and if you luck a ball the opponent can give shot back. He was calling stuff to go in that couldn't be made 1 out of 200. He usually sold out or left himself safe when Earl refused the table.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 time world champion

Why was Morra kicking 3 rails and calling to make balls? You gotta play safe and if you luck a ball the opponent can give shot back. He was calling stuff to go in that couldn't be made 1 out of 200. He usually sold out or left himself safe when Earl refused the table.

Thank you for the correction. And I agree about not calling safe. He gave quite a few games away like that.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Larry Holmes is all washed up in boxing but I believe he could still knock a lot of people's blocks off. ;)

As Johnnyt occasionally reminds us; "Old people rock". :cool:

Earl is no tomato can...

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• larry-holmes.jpg
    larry-holmes.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 524

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There never has been or never will be someone that is so dedicated to pool as Earl is!

Earl is a perfectionist and when he messes up he cant stand himself, I think that is one of the reason why he goes biserk from time to time.

Earl expects to beat everybody and anybody, and when he don't, he is his worst enemy !

I love Earl, I hope he wins every tournament he enters.

Earl is one of a very few that you can trust with your money, he would never dump and nobody can ever say that he has, Earl loves to win and for no amount of money would Earl ever even think about doing the dump.

Earl is pool, pool is Earl!

Well said, sir. True dedication is Earl. At tournaments, if matches are still being played and earl is warming up to the side, my eyes tend to gravitate toward earl momentarily until I'm just watching him warm up to learn more. The other matches become secondary. We are lucky to have him in our era.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John said something to Earl about him talking while John was at the table shooting. It was like a 30 second scuffle between the two of them that was essentially "no YOU shut up" back and forth a few times. Wasn't a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO you shouldn't be talking when your opponent is at the table unless you speak real low and you know he cant hear you.
And if he asks you to quit talking you should say no problem apologize and shutup.
I think Earl is a circus act and it sharks people.
Hes a great player and a legend and all that , but so what? show some respect for your opponent.

kevpull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pressure from Earl

gota love the Earl haters. I would be better my life on Earl. Everyone want to make excuses why Earl won and why John played bad.
He played bad because he had Earl putting pressure on his ass.

LOL. Tru Dat.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If i heard correctly it started with a condescending be quiet,not a polite request
if so morra was rude

otrebor22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Takusa

Anyone here in the Color of Money match with Efren that the Yakuza threatened Earls life if he won? :eek:

Earl has to fear more of the TAKUSA which AFAIK Efren is a member.
TAKUSA = TAKUt SA aSAwa.

Disclaimer: I only heard about it second-hand.:D

JLange

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So here is my assessment of the 9-ball match with Earl & John in which I was able witness at Kings of Billiards for the live match-up. I had a seat right behind John for the match up.

1st a big kudos's to Chad who did a great job with the new place and a big Thank You for bringing these two players locally for a challenge match. I look forward to stopping by and playing some of the tournaments there.

I will start by saying I'm not a fan of earl's antics at the table sometimes but his game is still
one of the best in the world IMO. He is a fast player who plays very confidently and I think if he can hold it together mentally for a whole tournament he has the game to win the US open still. It seems a mental issue with Earl these days, it's not his game.

John's game is very good and I enjoyed watching him play even though I have seen him as well as Earl a few times at the Derby when I played there so I knew what to expect.

I think they were playing by similar rules as last week's World Cup Of Pool. The 9-ball was on the spot and 2-3 balls had to go past the head-string, alternating break and call safe. Before the match John got out his jump stick and Earl of course made a comment in which John replied something to the order of " Earl, you can't make all the rules for this match", leading me to believe that most of the rules for play were Earls.

I think one of the big swings of the match from what I saw was that John was not making many balls on the break or if he did a shot on the next ball was not there or very tough. Earl was making more balls on the break and generally getting some form of shape after the break.
This is one of the reasons the score line was so lopsided which at the professional level is probably the most important part of the game and likely dictates a match and winner which was the case here. John also made a few positional errors and missed some very tough kick shots which did not help his cause.

I personally liked John's break better than Earl's, he had much better control over whitey IMO but in the end Earl was making balls and controlling the table.
Earl played pretty much flawless UNTIL:

Earl attempted a combo in the corner pocket in which he made but whitey rolled back behind a ball basically hooking earl with no shot. A fan in the bleachers was clapping with his approval of Earl's shot not knowing Earl had just hooked himself. It was impossible for the fan in the bleachers to see because he was so far away. That's when it started and the score at that time was something like 13-5 in favor of Earl.
Earl turns toward the fan and says WHAT ARE YOU CLAPING FOR ? Earl took this literally the wrong way with the wrong meaning. Earl being Earl assuming the fan was clapping because Earl hooked himself go figure - haha. The crowd started laughing not because Earl hooked himself but because he was acting up as he usually does. Earl took it the wrong way got enraged, this went on for 2-3 minutes until earl kicked and left John a shot.
Mind you this whole time John was sitting in his chair , very professional and did not say a word. I think he did smile at the antics of Earl but I'm not sure.
John got up and went to the table and Earl was still talking his talk. John asked Earl to be quiet and have some curtsey and to be quiet when he is at the table. .John told Earl he is up like 13-5 and so he gets 1 bad roll and goes off. Earl said Shut-up in which John replied No You shut Up.
Then Earl made a dumb comment telling John he can have this place and that he would not be coming back. Very bad demeanor from Earl , Chad the room owner who basically put up the $3000 had nothing to do with Earl's bad roll and the events that took place. Earl lost some fans after that stupid comment.

Basically Earl was being Earl and John was very professional during the whole thing. I'm sure John was not surprised by Earl's antics as most of the Professional players are use to it by now.

That's basically my take on the night and the events that happened. Overall was an entertaining match to watch. I only wish the score was closer.

Sorry for the long rant

Last edited:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So here is my assessment of the 9-ball match with Earl & John in which I was able witness at Kings of Billiards for the live match-up. I had a seat right behind John for the match up.

1st a big kudos's to Chad who did a great job with the new place and a big Thank You for bringing these two players locally for a challenge match. I look forward to stopping by and playing some of the tournaments there.

I will start by saying I'm not a fan of earl's antics at the table sometimes but his game is still
one of the best in the world IMO. He is a fast player who plays very confidently and I think if he can hold it together mentally for a whole tournament he has the game to win the US open still. It seems a mental issue with Earl these days, it's not his game.

John's game is very good and I enjoyed watching him play even though I have seen him as well as Earl a few times at the Derby when I played there so I knew what to expect.

I think they were playing by similar rules as last week's World Cup Of Pool. The 9-ball was on the spot and 2-3 balls had to go past the head-string, alternating break and call safe. Before the match John got out his jump stick and Earl of course made a comment in which John replied something to the order of " Earl, you can't make all the rules for this match", leading me to believe that most of the rules for play were Earls.

I think one of the big swings of the match from what I saw was that John was not making many balls on the break or if he did a shot on the next ball was not there or very tough. Earl was making more balls on the break and generally getting some form of shape after the break.
This is one of the reasons the score line was so lopsided which at the professional level is probably the most important part of the game and likely dictates a match and winner which was the case here. John also made a few positional errors and missed some very tough kick shots which did not help his cause.

I personally liked John's break better than Earl's, he had much better control over whitey IMO but in the end Earl was making balls and controlling the table.

Earl attempted a combo in the corner pocket in which he made but whitey rolled back behind a ball basically hooking earl with no shot. A fan in the bleachers was clapping with his approval of Earl's shot not knowing Earl had just hooked himself. It was impossible for the fan in the bleachers to see because he was so far away. That's when it started and the score at that time was something like 13-5 in favor of Earl.
Earl turns toward the fan and says WHAT ARE YOU CLAPING FOR ? Earl took this literally the wrong way with the wrong meaning. Earl being Earl assuming the fan was clapping because Earl hooked himself go figure - haha. The crowd started laughing not because Earl hooked himself but because he was acting up as he usually does. Earl took it the wrong way got enraged, this went on for 2-3 minutes until earl kicked and left John a shot.
Mind you this whole time John was sitting in his chair , very professional and did not say a word. I think he did smile at the antics of Earl but I'm not sure.
John got up and went to the table and Earl was still talking his talk. John asked Earl to be quiet and have some curtsey and to be quiet when he is at the table. .John told Earl he is up like 13-5 and so he gets 1 bad roll and goes off. Earl said Shut-up in which John replied No You shut Up.
Then Earl made a dumb comment telling John he can have this place and that he would not be coming back. Very bad demeanor from Earl , Chad the room owner who basically put up the $3000 had nothing to do with Earl's bad roll and the events that took place. Earl lost some fans after that stupid comment.

Basically Earl was being Earl and John was very professional during the whole thing. I'm sure John was not surprised by Earl's antics as most of the Professional players are use to it by now.

That's basically my take on the night and the events that happened. Overall was an entertaining match to watch. I only wish the score was closer.

Sorry for the long rant

thanks for the on site report...wish I could have been there! sorry to say, sometimes earl is too quick on the draw, last night I think it made him more focused, that's when he basically went silent and just started shooting....ya gotta love earls' shooting ability though. there is only one earl for sure......

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Earl brings that gear to the U S Open he will be tough to beat. That was impressive.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A fan in the bleachers was clapping with his approval of Earl's shot not knowing Earl had just hooked himself. It was impossible for the fan in the bleachers to see because he was so far away. That's when it started and the score at that time was something like 13-5 in favor of Earl.
People often forget that most of Earl's antics are directed towards fans and spectators.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry for the long rant

Earl wasn't talking to John as far as I could tell until John spoke to him. There have been times in the past when fans were openly cheering for Earl to fail and that may be a reason he reacts the way he does. Earl and John shook hands after the match.

After the match the camera kept rolling and Earl was interacting with several fans at the table, autographing cue cases and other items and talking to fans and setting up some shots.

Morra is a good young player when Earl is in stroke he simply has a higher gear than Morra.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If i heard correctly it started with a condescending be quiet,not a polite request
if so morra was rude
You're rude if you tell your opponent to keep quiet while you're shooting????

Earl wasn't talking to John as far as I could tell until John spoke to him.

Is it OK to talk to spectators or anyone while your opponent is shooting? Why does it matter that he wasn't talking to John?

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though Earl says some crazy sh-t and acts the nut at times...he is still an incredible talent and people just gravitate to him. I recently spent the better part of an evening watching some of his matches from back in the day on YouTube and he's just amazing. I am not certain if any of the young players today would have been able to beat Earl in his heyday.

JLange

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl wasn't talking to John as far as I could tell until John spoke to him. There have been times in the past when fans were openly cheering for Earl to fail and that may be a reason he reacts the way he does. Earl and John shook hands after the match.

After the match the camera kept rolling and Earl was interacting with several fans at the table, autographing cue cases and other items and talking to fans and setting up some shots.

Morra is a good young player when Earl is in stroke he simply has a higher gear than Morra.

You are correct , Earl was basically talking to the crowd and the fan that had clapped with approval of his shot. Earl and John did not get into it until John walked to the table and told Earl to be quite while he was shooting because Earl continued his rant when John was at the table.
I'm sure Earl would have done the same thing and asked John to be quite if John was still ranting when he was at the table shooting.
Earl just jumped the gun with the whole episode which started as an innocent jester. I think John was just a bit frustrated with Earl's whining about his 1 bad roll at the table with the score already heavily in Earl's favor. I think many times Earl thinks the World is against him. Like I said though, Earl played pretty flawless pool, it was impressive.
Overall Earl was on pretty good behavior except for the above incident.

Last edited:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone think Morra was still shaken by his choke on the 8 in the World cup? I'm not saying that's why he lost, but it would knock my confidence for sure.