Does Everyone Get a Trophy at the Cup This Year?

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wrote this on my Facebook page and wanted to see what everyone here had to say:

So by my count the US Mosconi Cup team has three non playing "Captain's" of one flavor or another, two of which their largest qualification seem to be the fact they are buddies with Mark Wilson, an offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator and a special shots coach. So we have a team of five players and six coach's/captain's. Anyone else think this is a bit ridiculous?

You want to take the players that didnt get picked no problem. Take them. No need to make up positions for them everyone knows are bullshit. Cause I can see Jeremy saying to Shane " Let me tell you what you need to do on offense here". Its insulting to fans intelligence.

Also making random people official co-captains is cheesy as hell and reeks of cronyism. If Mark Wilson had some buddies help him with the team and wants to bring them great. Come on over. Having five different people besides the main Captain having access and input to the players can not be a good thing. Maybe they wont. In that case the titles really are just bullshit. Either way its silly.

The whole thing just strikes me as a everyone gets a trophy scenario instead of a focused effort to achieve a desired goal. I know most of the guys on the team and they are all good people. I was one of the biggest supporters for having Mark be the Captain and still am. I think the five guys he picked to play are a great team and will represent the USA well.

I just think that this latest announcement shows some poor judgement from whoever made the final calls about the decision to have more chiefs than indians.

They are ''Vice Captains''.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Hopefully JCIN will weigh in on the UFC silliness - those fighters have 3 or 4 or 5 people in their corner and more in the audience....no way they could be part of a concerted effort to win the fight.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Hopefully JCIN will weigh in on the UFC silliness - those fighters have 3 or 4 or 5 people in their corner and more in the audience....no way they could be part of a concerted effort to win the fight.

Sure they do. What they do not have is the Minister of Vaseline, Vice Principle of Towels and Lord Viceroy of the Spit Bucket.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd just like to say that this picture is amazing.

What is so amazing? Looks like 'lazin' to me.

What, he cant even stand up to do his job? Lazy mofo.

And I sure hope I get a trophy this year. Been a looooong time since I got one. Used to have a lot, now I got none.

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Offense coach: "Ok Cory, what you have to do is shoot the 6 right after you shoot the 5" and "Oh yeah, don't forget to chalk up". "Ok where is my team jacket, shirt and second place trophy?"

--Jeff

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm fine with all of it. I applaud Mark for taking all of the "Mosconi 8" to Blackpool. I don't think we should get caught up in the titles of the three nonplaying members of the original "Mosconi 8," for despite the suggestions of some, they will be playing supporting roles, not acting as strategists or taskmasters.

The presence of professionals of proven pedigree like Don and Amir should also help to inspire the team to achieve to the max, just as Don and Amir have in their own lives.

Go get 'em, Team USA. Let's do this!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I wrote this on my Facebook page and wanted to see what everyone here had to say:

So by my count the US Mosconi Cup team has three non playing "Captain's" of one flavor or another, two of which their largest qualification seem to be the fact they are buddies with Mark Wilson, an offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator and a special shots coach. So we have a team of five players and six coach's/captain's. Anyone else think this is a bit ridiculous?

You want to take the players that didnt get picked no problem. Take them. No need to make up positions for them everyone knows are bullshit. Cause I can see Jeremy saying to Shane " Let me tell you what you need to do on offense here". Its insulting to fans intelligence.

Also making random people official co-captains is cheesy as hell and reeks of cronyism. If Mark Wilson had some buddies help him with the team and wants to bring them great. Come on over. Having five different people besides the main Captain having access and input to the players can not be a good thing. Maybe they wont. In that case the titles really are just bullshit. Either way its silly.

The whole thing just strikes me as a everyone gets a trophy scenario instead of a focused effort to achieve a desired goal. I know most of the guys on the team and they are all good people. I was one of the biggest supporters for having Mark be the Captain and still am. I think the five guys he picked to play are a great team and will represent the USA well.

I just think that this latest announcement shows some poor judgement from whoever made the final calls about the decision to have more chiefs than indians.

I also say> lets bring more. I was in Vegas nearly a year ago and was astounded at the lack of American fans(except for sjm, this guy is worth hundreds of fans). That year was on our home field and when we are on their turf things can get a little squirrelee. This bringing of non-playing players may just breed future players who will benefit greatly from the chance given to them.
Yes the titles given to these extras may be a little goofy but all that, could be tongue in cheek for all we know.

Lets think outside of the box.:D

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually,mthey're limited by the state athletic commissions to three cornermen, only two of whom can enter the ring between rounds.

Sorry, but if these guys need help with a structured warmup, wtf are they doing playing in the Mosconi Cup?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what Mark is doing is great. He is keeping the entire team together. I interpreted the original press release to mean tge 3 players would be helping in the practice room, not during the matches. That was confirmed in this thread.

Structured practice before a match can be of great benefit. I believe it can quiet the mind. The player can do drills (set up by the 3 non-competing players) that they are familiar with. Should be a great way to get in stroke and build confident mindset for the matches.

My 2 cents:)

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it be terrible if this is all just a charade designed to promote and advance his " Lindenwood" concept?

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are two cornermen, one to coach and one to do the work.

Now that I think about it, it would be kinda cool to see Mark coaching Shane while you apply the ice pack and hold the spit bucket.

JMuck

Silver Member
From my FB reply:

While I almost always agree with you....not this time. Amir and I are volunteers on our own dime mostly. Mark's efforts have been extremely time consuming; mostly behind the scenes. The assistants are to help; NOT ride some nonexistent gravy train. The non-playing "coaches" have been and will be an INTEGRAL part of the effort. In the hour before a player's match the assistants (Brandon, Jeremy, and Oscar) will set up offensive, defensive, break, and specialty drills for a structured warm up. Their purpose is not teaching; but they WILL be helping and encouraging as any "coach" should do (apologies to the grammar police who think our effort silly because of the specific titles used). Sorry you don't see the value, but it IS there.

Amir and I were recruited as coaches and volunteered our time to help Mark, and to contribute the idea that hard work, dedication, and professionalism are KEY to achieving an elite level of excellence....these are things demanded by our professions. I hope some can see that those attributes are in short supply in the pool world, and if we can get a cadre of players who buy in to that the sport will be better as a result. I think most fans will agree that the sport can and should be better.

Initially I was unsure how multiple people could fill certain roles.This is a very good and well thought out approach and with the personnel involved may be able to mold themselves together as a team and not let ego get in the way.They may have some sort of chance this way.To be seen.

The criticism is to harsh and brushes by key elements USA hasn't had in many of the recent past years.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Initially I was unsure how multiple people could fill certain roles.This is a very good and well thought out approach and with the personnel involved may be able to mold themselves together as a team and not let ego get in the way.They may have some sort of chance this way.To be seen.

The criticism is to harsh and brushes by key elements USA hasn't had in many of the recent past years.

Seriously, if I was told I didn't make the team the last thing I would want to do is be drill setup boy. You are reaching if you want to see this as a revolutionary idea that is what we have needed to build teamwork.

JMuck

Silver Member
Seriously, if I was told I didn't make the team the last thing I would want to do is be drill setup boy. You are reaching if you want to see this as a revolutionary idea that is what we have needed to build teamwork.

Obviously you have never played in any team sports or been in the military.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course I have played team sports. That has no effect on my opinion. If Mark told me he cut me but would like me to come along to set up drills I would laugh at him.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Of course I have played team sports. That has no effect on my opinion. If Mark told me he cut me but would like me to come along to set up drills I would laugh at him.

Unless you wanted to maybe have a chance at playing on next years team....

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I applied for offensive and defensive coach for the Euro team. No special shots like a triple bank jump shot, with draw masse, off the point.

They told me to get my Shine Box, get in the locker room and clean all their shafts, wash their socks.... :eek:

If I accept I will get a trophy, think I will pass.

My dog can beat Mika in a race to 5,he uses a house cue with a milk bone tip.

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
tarboys.gif