Trying to get Earl to sign my case at the DCC

John Brumback

Silver Member
Thought I would share this little story about Earl Strickland. I had been waiting for the right time to catch Earl so I could get him to sign my case.

One afternoon I'm walking down the hall way heading to my room.I see Earl coming down the hall at me.I stop him. (Earl and I have known each for along time. We used to hang out at the same pool room In Richmond,ky back in the 80's.)

So I say hey Earl if you don't mind would you sign my case. I'm trying to get some top players to sign it and give it to my son.

He says, I would Johnny but I don't have time and I'll catch ya later.:(

So later that night there is a bunch of us hangin out in the hall in front of the tournament room having a big time. All of the sudden here's comes Earl marching over to us and Screaming!.( you know his voice ):grin:."where's Johnny Brumback where's Johnny Brumback!" I need to sign his case!! :thumbup: Pretty darn cool of Earl not to forget like that.

Funny to me too that Earl is the only pool player that calls me Johnny lol.

Earl is nice guy just as long as you are not trying to beat him:p John B.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I am still a little upset you haven't asked me to sign your case yet Johnny.......

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
i just had one of those moments where I could hear the voice of Earl. lol he does have a distinctive voice.

Does your son compete at pool John?

John Brumback

Silver Member
i just had one of those moments where I could hear the voice of Earl. lol he does have a distinctive voice.

Does your son compete at pool John?

Very distinctive:D No my son does not.but for some reason he is a natural when it comes to banking balls:) He is very talented and has a good stroke but he has just never caught the "pool bug".Not sure if that's bad thing or a good thing:p John B.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
When is a good time to approach someone for an autograph?

I go up to Turning Stone and I don't want to stop someone as they are going to a match because maybe it disturbs their preparation and I don't want to go up to someone who just lost and say "hey can you sign this".

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Very distinctive:D No my son does not.but for some reason he is a natural when it comes to banking balls:) He is very talented and has a good stroke but he has just never caught the "pool bug".Not sure if that's bad thing or a good thing:p John B.

but more importantly, does he like to catch fish? :thumbup:

speaking of which, you still have a standing invite to go out on the Gator Bait boat if you're ever up this way.

I know yer stuck like velcro though, down there. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• gatortail-lilli-8-13b.jpg
    gatortail-lilli-8-13b.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,127

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was always a huge fan of Earl. I had quite a collection of Billiard Digest magazines with Earl on the cover and at one time or another he autographed most of them for me.
I saw him at Turning Stone, working Mike Gulyassy's table, so I stopped and told him I was a huge fan. He looks at me and says in front of 3 other people "I'll bet you're a phukin farmer aren't you? You look like a phukin' farmer to me." and he laughed. I walked away.
When I got home, I threw the magazines in the garbage.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am still a little upset you haven't asked me to sign your case yet Johnny.......

When John came thru Charlotte (with Grady and Allison @ 150 and Out) I couldn't help my self but to offer to sign it as well. There as a bland space up near the top that looked inviting. So I politely asked John that if he needed that space filled I'd be happy to sign it for him.

John, with that stunned 'question mark' Kentucky blank look on his face he paused and said "Well,.... Have won any World Championships lately?", to which I said, 'Well it just so happens that I have a couple, that I have won right in my own living room against some Ghost character only because no one else will show up. So there, You got a pen on ya?' Still looking at me with that blank stare he said "...think I'll pass"... lol *

(Grady was there looking on, listening and was the only time I've ever seen him NOT finding away into a conversation. It was about 3 month before his passing..)

I will say though That was the first time I have EVER been turned down for my signature. Between the banks, patient Rx's and office records, this was a welcome relief, as the Signature pressure was finally off. And for THAT, I offered to buy one of John's (Johnny's) new DVD's on the spot. My life has never been the same.

Ktown D..,I don't feel so bad now... I thought I was the only one that offered to sign his case who got turned down. Oh wait.. You were waiting for him to ask you.... I stand corrected.

:) Thanks Johnny! I've had the pleasure to tell this story locally many times to my friends.

See You DCC,

Randy

No Signature Required.

Last edited:

John Brumback

Silver Member
When is a good time to approach someone for an autograph?

I go up to Turning Stone and I don't want to stop someone as they are going to a match because maybe it disturbs their preparation and I don't want to go up to someone who just lost and say "hey can you sign this".

Very good question and good thinking also.

Like you already know...the worst possible time would be right after a loss.:D
Speaking for myself,I will be so mad I could spit and don't even want to talk to anyone let alone have to do something for someone,however I still would:wink: But it would be pretty sloppy and fast:p

I really don't think you would have any problems catching them on the way to a match.( That should not bother them at all,imo) I would just make sure to ask them before they got inside the ropes.

I got a lot of mine while they were just setting around with their friends and or watching matches.Shoot I got about 6 to 10 at one time with the pinos .They were all setting around together and I got one of them to and they just passed it all the way around. That was cool, AP,ER,RL,RA,RG,DO and so on and so forth,lol They are all good guys and very friendly.

Maybe the best place and time is out in the hall or lobby,where ever they hang out at the most.( and when they are watching a match:wink:) I guess some venues would be diff tho. Just catch em where ever..just not right after a loss:thumbup: John B.

John Brumback

Silver Member
When John came thru Charlotte (with Grady and Allison @ 150 and Out) I couldn't help my self but to offer to sign it as well. There as a bland space up near the top that looked inviting. So I politely asked John that if he needed that space filled I'd be happy to sign it for him.

John, with that stunned 'question mark' Kentucky blank look on his face he paused and said "Well,.... Have won any World Championships lately?", to which I said, 'Well it just so happens that I have a couple, that I have won right in my own living room against some Ghost character only because no one else will show up. So there, You got a pen on ya?' Still looking at me with that blank stare he said "...think I'll pass"... lol *

(Grady was there looking on, listening and was the only time I've ever seen him NOT finding away into a conversation. It was about 3 month before his passing..)

I will say though That was the first time I have EVER been turned down for my signature. Between the banks, patient Rx's and office records, this was a welcome relief, as the Signature pressure was finally off. And for THAT, I offered to buy one of John's (Johnny's) new DVD's on the spot. My life has never been the same.

Ktown D..,I don't feel so bad now... I thought I was the only one that offered to sign his case who got turned down. Oh wait.. You were waiting for him to ask you.... I stand corrected.

:) Thanks Johnny! I've had the pleasure to tell this story locally many times to my friends.

See You DCC,

Randy

No Signature Required.

Heyyyy !!! ,I think you are making some of that up!!!! .I don't even think I had THAT case with me down there!! haha and quit calling me Johnny:p JB

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heyyyy !!! ,I think you are making some of that up!!!! .I don't even think I had THAT case with me down there!! haha and quit calling me Johnny:p JB

Nope.. you did... We all had a good laugh...

The next year I saw you again down @ Tunica. I had to play SVB 1st round banks and he barely beat me... in fact. You happened to be walking by the crowd that had gathered and I called you over and ask for my Money back on the DVD on the spot because I had lost to Shane... We all had a laugh...

Remember Justin (your roommate @ Tunica ) losing his Q-tip? I saved him a hospital visit that year.

Randy

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm surprised Earl signed your case, John.
He needs a lot of space...

"Earl Strickland, six times world champion and five times US Open champion...
...greatest nine ball player that ever lived...

...and, Efren, you got the eight."

You must have a big case....or did he write over everybody else's signatures?

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but more importantly, does he like to catch fish?

speaking of which, you still have a standing invite to go out on the Gator Bait boat if you're ever up this way.

I know yer stuck like velcro though, down there. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc
OK now. I want details on that boat and the fishing. I actually wore out 4 boats until skin cancer caught up with me.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I was at the DCC and waiting for a friend as he was purchasing his pass. Earl was standing close to me and talking to another pro about his thoughts about playing banks and then 9 ball. He said it was hard because you are still playing banks in your head and while he was talking he looked at me and asked isn't that right. He just acted as if I was part of his conversation.

🎱