Question for OB cues (This just boggles the mind)

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
Before I have my little rant let me first say that living in Las Vegas I have had the pleasure of meeting Royce and the rest of the OB staff
that works the booth at the BCA nationals several times now and they have always been very friendly and helpful.

Now to my rant: LOL
OB put their mark on the pool industry selling high quality LD shafts. :thumbup:
They have branched out into making quality cues that come with your choice of shaft.
Recently they have come out with a new Break Cue (OB Rift) it comes with your choice of either the "Control" or "Speed" break shaft and here is where the train derails for me with OB cues.
I have tried to order a 30" 3/8X10 OB Control break shaft but for some unknown reason OB cues is unwilling to sell their break shaft with out the purchase of a new Rift break cue.

A. Are they built as a matching set, one butt one shaft? NO
OB makes two different break shafts to choose from Control & Speed.

B. This one is the real kick in the teeth. If you buy an OB Rift break cue you can order as many extra break shafts for your new break cue as you want. LOL

So can someone PLEASE give me a LOGICAL explanation (given the facts laid out above with A & B) of why a company who put their mark on
the pool industry selling shafts is refusing to sell their break shafts as they do all of their other shafts?

PS:
Please spare me the (it's their company they can do as they please)
I am looking for a thoughtful and reasonable/logical explanation.

imissedthe9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe because anyone can buy the break shaft and put it on their own cue butt and essentially have an OB Break Cue.

Only the Shaft really matters right?

what great technology needs to be put into a BUTT end of the cue?

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just trying to think, can you buy a Predator / Poison / Mezz / breakshaft without buying the butt? I cannot recall seeing them for sale on their own on retail sites.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess quantity of sales/demand is a big factor. As soon as they start offering just a shaft they have to offer it in at least a half-dozen joint styles. There likely isn't enough demand to make that worthwhile or feasible, so instead they offer it as a cue only.

I don't see the other brands offering their break shafts either.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I have my little rant let me first say that living in Las Vegas I have had the pleasure of meeting Royce and the rest of the OB staff
that works the booth at the BCA nationals several times now and they have always been very friendly and helpful.

Now to my rant: LOL
OB put their mark on the pool industry selling high quality LD shafts. :thumbup:
They have branched out into making quality cues that come with your choice of shaft.
Recently they have come out with a new Break Cue (OB Rift) it comes with your choice of either the "Control" or "Speed" break shaft and here is where the train derails for me with OB cues.
I have tried to order a 30" 3/8X10 OB Control break shaft but for some unknown reason OB cues is unwilling to sell their break shaft with out the purchase of a new Rift break cue.

A. Are they built as a matching set, one butt one shaft? NO
OB makes two different break shafts to choose from Control & Speed.

B. This one is the real kick in the teeth. If you buy an OB Rift break cue you can order as many extra break shafts for your new break cue as you want. LOL

So can someone PLEASE give me a LOGICAL explanation (given the facts laid out above with A & B) of why a company who put their mark on
the pool industry selling shafts is refusing to sell their break shafts as they do all of their other shafts?

PS:
Please spare me the (it's their company they can do as they please)
I am looking for a thoughtful and reasonable/logical explanation.

I would think that they thought about selling just the shafts and decided against it, probably to get their break cue model going and expand cue sales.

Unless you are working for that company thoughtful and logical explanations are called "guesses".

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
They sell pool shafts, and break cues. I see nothing wrong with selling an entire break cue.

Kind of a matched set.

Does anyone else sell a brk cue without a butt ?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
In the past, I bought OB break shaft partials (directly from OB) and had them adapted to my break cue.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe their reasoning is..
The complete package performs better then the parts.
Finely tuned package if you will!
In my experience the older OB break cues break better than just putting the shaft on something else.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Because they can barely keep up with the demand for full break cues. Why sidetrack your efforts to produce enough full break cues, to offer just shafts?

"Hmm, with my limited resources should I make the $300 sale...or the $150 sale?"

You'll be able to order a shaft-only in about a year.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Call em

:scratchhead:And ask.............why.

OP Quote:
(This just boggles the mind)

If it was that big of a concern, why you would ask us on the forum first and not the horses mouth....nowadays look before you leap seems to be the norm.

Last edited:

RBC

Deceased
Wow!

It's surprising how many of the responses hit the nail on the head.

We struggled pretty hard on this one, and chose to offer them only with our break cue.

We definitely felt that the package performed better than just the shaft on other break cue handles.

Another pretty big consideration was the number of shafts we already commit to build. If you add up all the standard and specialty joints we offer, the list is 31. Keep in mind that we have to build all those joints in each of 6 current shaft models. Now double that for 30" models, and you have 372 different part numbers. We just didn't want to add any more to that.

Also, if you go back and look at the older break shaft sales, they weren't quite what we had expected. Maybe that's why our primary competitors don't offer them either.

Jmurphy, I hope you understand. It's really just a numbers thing.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

rellek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just purchased a Rift, and I have to say you can tell that it is an entire package deal. The butt of the cue is extremely different than probably any cue I have owned, it does a great job breaking as a whole. I did put the shaft on another butt and it just didn't do as well.

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
Wow!

It's surprising how many of the responses hit the nail on the head.

We struggled pretty hard on this one, and chose to offer them only with our break cue.

We definitely felt that the package performed better than just the shaft on other break cue handles.

Another pretty big consideration was the number of shafts we already commit to build. If you add up all the standard and specialty joints we offer, the list is 31. Keep in mind that we have to build all those joints in each of 6 current shaft models. Now double that for 30" models, and you have 372 different part numbers. We just didn't want to add any more to that.

Also, if you go back and look at the older break shaft sales, they weren't quite what we had expected. Maybe that's why our primary competitors don't offer them either.

Jmurphy, I hope you understand. It's really just a numbers thing.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Royce,
I understand, however I am looking to get a 3/8X10 OB control break shaft, this is the same pin used in the OB Rift break cues. No extra work required. Well except I wanted one 30".
What if I buy a used OB break cue and needed a new break shaft due to the shaft being lost, stolen, broken beyond repair.
How do I get a replacement shaft?
Am I required to buy a brand new break cue to get a shaft?
What if I decide to switch from the Control shaft to the Speed shaft?

Of course you can offer break shafts in 3/8X10 or partials only no extra work required, problem solved.

Last edited: