Darren Forfeits Beloit

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right it happens ,, happend one time in the NFL by Icky woods ,,cant remember another time a player was a no show except pool where I've seen it several times

In other pro sports, there are assistant coaches and team managers that are responsible for the players.
I always liked how Pat assigns a driver to shuttle players in and out for the accu stat make it happen events. Maybe other big name tournaments on the final day should do the same with the remaining five players.

It's not that you don't trust the players, you are just looking out for your interests.

I remember one of the Justin's oversleeping during the DCC and missing out on a possible run at master of the table.
Either way, it's very unfortunate for all involved.

RBC

Deceased
It would be interesting to know how many Pro level players do actually buy half or even part of themselves in these big calcuttas.

From what I understand, the players themselves seldom get involved in the big calcuttas.

Royce

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
In other pro sports, there are assistant coaches and team managers that are responsible for the players.
I always liked how Pat assigns a driver to shuttle players in and out for the accu stat make it happen events. Maybe other big name tournaments on the final day should do the same with the remaining five players.

It's not that you don't trust the players, you are just looking out for your interests.

I remember one of the Justin's oversleeping during the DCC and missing out on a possible run at master of the table.
Either way, it's very unfortunate for all involved.

Hall, definitely had a shot at MoT

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Yes, people oversleep all the time, including myself.

From time to time, I will schedule a 6:00am workout so that I can hit the gym before work, but I'm sorry to say that I oversleep quite a bit for this. Also, from time to time, I will schedule a 6:00am conference call with clients from Europe. But I'm happy to say that I have NEVER EVER overslept for this.

Why? because working out in the am is not a big deal. If I miss a workout, oh well. I can hit the gym in the afternoon or even skip a day...it's just not that important. On the other hand, my conference call is a big deal and very important. So whatever it takes, my ass get's out of bed in time to make the call.

So, when pool players like Darren oversleep in the semifinals of a $36k tournament, or when Justin Hall oversleeps his chance at winning Master of the Table at DCC, what message does this send?

In my opinion, the message is very loud and clear. That it's just not that important. And the fact is, they're 100% entitled to this opinion. Maybe the money's not enough, maybe it's too much effort, whatever. That's their choice to make.

However, if pool players aren't taking these events seriously, or treating them as if they're not a big deal? WHY IN THE WORLD SHOULD I? Why should I shell out my money buying PPV streams? Why should I take time out of my life to attend local events? And of course it goes without saying, why in the world would I put my money at risk in backing players or entering Calcuttas?

For that matter, why would anyone? Why would anyone be interested in watching a professional play pool, if they suspected the player of not treating it seriously. Simply put, if the players don't take the sport seriously, I consider myself a sucker to do otherwise.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Maybe Daz will refund your calcutta money. That would impress the hell out of me if he did..

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I feel for the OP in a big way, I also feel for Daz Backer in a big way, I also feel for Daz in a big way. There are no winners on this one.
Ultimatly it was Darren's responsibility to be there. He knows it, we know it. As some have already said sometimes it happens (Oversleeping) depending on the situation.

I an say this though and I am sure that others will agree. I would find it hard to believe Daz stayed up "Drinking and partying" O know Daz and have worked with him. I am not saying that he does not like a couple of drinks and let lose a little, but I have only seen it AFTER a tourney. Other than that he barley touches a drop while working. I say this so there is no confusion as to him oversleeping, there is another reason. not sure what it is or even saying that it's right. Hopefully the OP/Calcutta investor will be able to see that his original thoughts on Daz were not wrong and hope that there is a good explanation for the oversleeping.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He just make 100K overseas, if it was me, I'd gladly payback those that lost from my mistake, we all make em. Like Souquet, I doubt he'll make the same mistake twice. It's why I ALWAYS carried my separate alarm clock, battery operated, JIC of an electrical outage or a brain fart by the hotel wake up service. It's just COMMON SENSE.

I agree, Darren should make good somehow with the people who bought him in the Calcutta (he did win $4,000 in the tournament, so he won't go home empty), at least pay them back half since he was 50-50 to win the match with Skyler. He owes them something any way you look at it.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
all I know is that these big calcutas are a big part of these big money sports bar tournaments. There are not that many big backers or big calcuta betters around. If all that are involved in putting these great tournaments on don't quickly get cell #'s and where the last 5 or so are staying, these great tournaments will dry up quickly.

Also, Cory is doing nothing wrong breaking like he does at this time. Fix the rules, before this also kills these tournaments. Johnnyt

PS: If anyone is suspected of doing business, they must be banned quickly from playing in any more of them. I hope everyone involved in these type of tournaments fixes all problems NOW.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, people oversleep all the time, including myself.

From time to time, I will schedule a 6:00am workout so that I can hit the gym before work, but I'm sorry to say that I oversleep quite a bit for this. Also, from time to time, I will schedule a 6:00am conference call with clients from Europe. But I'm happy to say that I have NEVER EVER overslept for this.

Why? because working out in the am is not a big deal. If I miss a workout, oh well. I can hit the gym in the afternoon or even skip a day...it's just not that important. On the other hand, my conference call is a big deal and very important. So whatever it takes, my ass get's out of bed in time to make the call.

So, when pool players like Darren oversleep in the semifinals of a $36k tournament, or when Justin Hall oversleeps his chance at winning Master of the Table at DCC, what message does this send?

In my opinion, the message is very loud and clear. That it's just not that important. And the fact is, they're 100% entitled to this opinion. Maybe the money's not enough, maybe it's too much effort, whatever. That's their choice to make.

However, if pool players aren't taking these events seriously, or treating them as if they're not a big deal? WHY IN THE WORLD SHOULD I? Why should I shell out my money buying PPV streams? Why should I take time out of my life to attend local events? And of course it goes without saying, why in the world would I put my money at risk in backing players or entering Calcuttas?

For that matter, why would anyone? Why would anyone be interested in watching a professional play pool, if they suspected the player of not treating it seriously. Simply put, if the players don't take the sport seriously, I consider myself a sucker to do otherwise.

Sounds like Darren just made a mistake. I doubt he was intentionally trying to screw over anybody. That doesn't sound like him. I'm sure he isn't happy about it, but what can he really do about it now? Can't hit re-wind. If he feels the need to re-pay the calcutta then fine. But he isn't exactly obligated. He screwed himself too for sure because he was certainly capable of winning the whole tournament.

jgdwvu11

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Darren and yes he is beating himself up about this...his main issue was his match the night before ending at 1am and not getting to bed till 330 am. He did have $3k of his own money already invested and he actually uses his money for most of his events and calcuttas. I am surprised he didn't have ANY of himself in the calcutta...

bottom line it should have been a forfeit as he was on the clock...the director could have given him extra time but it would have been a tough call either way...have to stick to the rules and time issues...

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren doesn't owe anyone who was in the calcutta anything. When you go in on a calcutta, you're not backing the player, you're gambling to win money for yourself. If he had any backers, that's different...

nateobot

Undercover FBI Agent
Silver Member
I feel for the OP in a big way, I also feel for Daz Backer in a big way, I also feel for Daz in a big way. There are no winners on this one.
Ultimatly it was Darren's responsibility to be there. He knows it, we know it. As some have already said sometimes it happens (Oversleeping) depending on the situation.

I an say this though and I am sure that others will agree. I would find it hard to believe Daz stayed up "Drinking and partying" O know Daz and have worked with him. I am not saying that he does not like a couple of drinks and let lose a little, but I have only seen it AFTER a tourney. Other than that he barley touches a drop while working. I say this so there is no confusion as to him oversleeping, there is another reason. not sure what it is or even saying that it's right. Hopefully the OP/Calcutta investor will be able to see that his original thoughts on Daz were not wrong and hope that there is a good explanation for the oversleeping.

Now that's a great typo :)

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, Darren should make good somehow with the people who bought him in the Calcutta (he did win $4,000 in the tournament, so he won't go home empty), at least pay them back half since he was 50-50 to win the match with Skyler. He owes them something any way you look at it.

Appleton does not owe any Calcutta gamblers any money, any way you look at it. He should apologize to his fans for the unprofessional act of oversleeping a match, of course, but that's about the limit. Being human, he made a human mistake, and that's the end of it. He does not owe any Calcutta gamblers anything.

They guys who bought the Calcutta are gamblers who bet they will make money. If they want insurance to reimburse them when unforeseen human behaviors affect their win-loss ratio, they need to hire Lloyds of London.

I do certainly respect the OP as a veteran gambler, because he is not whining about his gambling loss, nor is he claiming anyone owes him anything. Betting on the uncertain outcome of an event is the very essence of gambling. Living with that uncertain outcome is the very essence of what makes a person a gambler, rather than some sort of a lock artist.

As for monies won, although Appleton's tournament winnings were $4k, his profit was probably about nil, taking into account his tournament (and ongoing) expenses. Using mythical profits to repay rail-side gamblers some money he never owed them in the first place just does not make sense.

The other factor is this - there was no guarantee Appleton would have qualified for the Calcutta even if he had arrived fresh and on time to play his Sunday morning match. Woodward was more than a 50% favorite, if his play since Darren's forfeit is any yardstick. Woodward over Appleton would have meant no Calcutta winnings at all for the gamblers who bought Appleton.

A payback to any rail-side gambler is a real slippery slope. Next thing is what about a payback because the pro missed a makeable shot, or miscued because he failed to chalk up? There are many less-that-professional behaviors a pro can exhibit which directly lead to loss of game or match. Oversleeping is just one of many. Even the OP described taking such behavior into account before he placed his bet on Appleton in the Calcutta.

There is not really much difference between flubbing the wakeup time and flubbing an easy shot. Both are foreseeable events which should not happen to a pro, expecially in a 16-player top-pro tournament with minimum $2k expense to hit their first ball. But such things do happen - review a certain easy side pocket shot missed by SVB in the Mosconi Cup, and check back at all the other forfeitures for late appearance in tournaments over the years.

Misses are not unlikely events at all, and failure to show up on time is not so rare either. An experienced TD like Jay Helfert may have witnessed all sorts of misses - including late appearances - probably as much or more than anyone else on the forum, at least.

The OP might reconsider his take on Calcutta gambling for the future. I would say place your bet on Appleton, believing he would never again oversleep, and would also be extra careful to avoid any other human failures he might anticipate.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I would say place your bet on Appleton, believing he would never again oversleep, and would also be extra careful to avoid any other human failures he might anticipate.
And always make sure you meet him for breakfast at 9:15.:wink:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the horse fails in the middle of the race, do you get your money back ?
LOL Lmao RofL :grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:
Can someone tell me how much for 1st place in the calcutta ? Thanks.