Darren Appleton's view on Tips - agree or disagree???

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can make a ball and control the cue ball, you don't need to find a new kind of tip to use. You already have one that works.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they would stay soft, definitely... but if it's gunna turn into a medium anyways, might as well make it part of the plan.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting. I always use hard tips.
In my case I feel like I just barely tap the ball and it goes flying.
This whole thing about your stroke needing to be super good on harder tips is the complete opposite of what I have experienced with my playing.
To a point where I wonder if he's just being sarcastic.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting. I always use hard tips.
In my case I feel like I just barely tap the ball and it goes flying.
This whole thing about your stroke needing to be super good on harder tips is the complete opposite of what I have experienced with my playing.
To a point where I wonder if he's just being sarcastic.

That is exactly why I don't want a really hard tip on my cue. I don't want the cue ball to go flying when I barely tap it. I want to feel the cue ball and let my stroke determine whether it goes "flying" or not.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is exactly why I don't want a really hard tip on my cue. I don't want the cue ball to go flying when I barely tap it. I want to feel the cue ball and let my stroke determine whether it goes "flying" or not.

Well, flying is an exaggeration. lol :)
Let's just say I feel like the cue becomes more efficient and I hardly ever need those super fast strokes in order to get a lot of action
For example I find it much easier to draw across table with a hard tip vs soft or even medium. Also find it much easier in the follow shots.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
When you have a true stroke and not a jab....tips don't really matter. Cue and cue balls and object balls really don't care. Neither do I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you have a true stroke and not a jab....tips don't really matter. Cue and cue balls and object balls really don't care. Neither do I

Meaning, you're saying you have a "true stroke"?
There's a lot more to 'true stroke' than just true stroke vs. a jab.
I seriously doubt most members here are jabbers.
I also seriously doubt most members here have a perfectly true stroke.
I know I don't.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Of course we don't and even the best don't some times...hell anyone remember gabe dogging the hell outa that ball in the 04 U.S. Open 9 ball that he won? What I'm saying is that tip worry is pointless and it really don't matter brother. Hard soft fat skinny tall they all play just fine my man

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
And there is more to it especially on the jab part. Boxer couldn't snap a chin so easily at times like some jab a cue. That ain't the the same and Theres a reason no matter a piston or pendulum or when I used to know this strange fellow bac in college who played with his grip hand palm up and facing outward on the cue holding it underneath......when getting the most action the strokes always full and complete. And the distance the hand travels after hitting a ball in general sop's will travel farther after the strike than a back swing the only diff to say a boxing jab? The boxer wants the hit to come close to full extension as if the cb were only being penetrated to the base of ball location not the event horizon of it. .....now a cross? That's what really similar to a ball hit. The arm should be squared, especially to the rear foot as the body pivots it catches target at 90 letting torque and momentum work with a short not wide movement.....compact and close. Complicated but real simple a baseball batter looks to hit the ball with the hands in the same style of positions wit the bat trailing coming through at that similar bell curve peak of power where the rotation of his body and hands get the bat through to this point. We throw our hands at the target......an extension of the arm but still "arm" similarities in motions and why they work are no myth in differing sports....its even good old English and I barking about hammers and nails....use a hammer long enough and you'll learn to stroke it right too. There are always styles. Pete doesn't build cues like Dennis nor Dennis like Abe! They don't build cues like dpk or miss Laurie or like the guys in the Philippines. I don't make duck calls like nobody...I hijacked my ideas from this really old game we play lol. The end result is but a great package, or product...result.

Quackabushkas and clicks and clacks.

g0 ducks,
-grey gh0st

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
A friend....aspiring cue smith and player....working on an engineering degree. Mr mark lomas were discussing the "perfections" required to pocket balls and the ranges of accuracy. Was telling me that he did a spreadsheet featuring the mathematical breakdowns of Cp hit distances given "x" as a variable distance to how much mor accurately I've you must hit a ball. I didn't get to see the spread sheet but I mentioned about being a 64/th of an inch off center on the end rail back to tip drill would get you one diamond off. We can feel a thousandth off with our hands on a surface too.......like cutting a cylinder and placing it back together evenly...I have routinely bend small stainless steel instrument sensory lines in "group" very tight together lines that in a panel especially flow together and nearly "snap" perfect into place it's so well fitting. I can tell down to 32 with my eye and a mostly cumbersome but wicked pair of knumbchucks lol swedgelock benders....a lot of the Vikings of the gulf can do it from the wake up too. I seen a fellow say hit her at 8"....use no tape, grasp the tube. Place it and snap bend it on about 10 sec or less. Whip the fat max tape open measure and show to the 32nd of inch..and say "like that, comme ca?!" People actually with repetition can be crazy accurate. Like they got little girls pinging targets like money from a thousand yards.....sipping on yoohoo, watching for pokemon lol. Open sighted long guns well over thousand yard hits within I think 6"......that old man who hip draws and shoots his revolver while tossing aspirins in the air lol......who was the old bow shooter that was like a Ralph greenleah? Exhibitionist, I believe Olympic champion....I've seen pics of him and he looked like the Lone Ranger met Roy Rodgers and hank sr was taught to shoot a bow by davey Crockett r Jim Thorpe....that cat had hands and eyes like a thermoimaging tracking device or sumun. Yahoo wehoo yoohoo? Do you?

-gg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I really think pro's opinion's don't carry any more weight than our opinions.

The reason I say this, is across the various pro's, they play with everything under the sun (especially before they were sponsored). From house cues, to Ginacues, to everything in between. Soft tips to hard tips.

With all those equipment differences, they can all do the same shots.

Fully disagree. Those at the very top of performance in any field have the experience and insight to know what works well and what doesn't to a higher level of confidence.

Your example is far too broad. The vast majority of professional caliber players aren't winning as much as Van Boeing or Appleton - same as the top race car drivers are the ones winning the majority of the races.

So I tend to give more credence to the opinions of top players when they speak on performance criteria. That doesn't mean that any given comment is actually true but it does mean that I will take it in and file it away for consideration and testing IF that comment affects my game in some way. (since I already play with a medium-soft tip it doesn't yet)

I know it's romantic to dream that pool is a sport where any amateur knows as much as any pro.....but when it comes to making the cueball do what you want, the amateur does not "know" as much....not physically and not mentally.

In other words - Darren Appleton could, through an earpiece, coach a player your speed in a heads up match and that player would likely beat you easily. Eventually that player would rocket past you just due knowledge transfer alone.

So really, no amateurs don't know as much as pros. Not that pros are always "right" about what they think is happening. For an example we can look up Mike Sigel's views on throw and find that they have been mythbusted by science.

And Darren's tip/stroke correlation may also be busted by science. But to dismiss it out of hand as merely an opinion of equal value to Joe Poolplayer's opinion on the same subject is silly in my opinion.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I think he even played with a Kamui black hard before that.

He did.
And Triangle tips used to be the tip of choice for the pros.
The pros opinions do not carry more weight than competent amateurs imo.
A lot of them don't even know the exact specs of their cues.
Efren included.
Mosconi misled thousands with his holding the cue in relation to the balance point.

Last edited:

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, help me out. If I understand Mr. Appleton's statement, he is saying that most players need to play with a soft tip, the idea being that the average player would have better feel and control with them. Is this not the case? We know pros play with pretty much anything, but my experience has been he is correct. Would average players benefit from playing a hard tip on their cue? Just thinking out loud, but controlling the cue ball is usually the issue with most players.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i take him to mean that short strokes with a hard tip are more likely to miscue when you're near the miscue limit. i know people will say the contact time between tips doesn't vary enough to change the miscue limit but my experience with the different tips says otherwise.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
i take him to mean that short strokes with a hard tip are more likely to miscue when you're near the miscue limit. i know people will say the contact time between tips doesn't vary enough to change the miscue limit but my experience with the different tips says otherwise.

That was back when they assigned a 1ms contact time to all tips... The Russians proved otherwise using slow motion video but some of the old theories more or less based on solid on solid collision are still out there...

Tips are springs... You change the spring rate you alter certain aspects of the collision like spin/speed ratios and yes even deflection... The only deflection tests I have seen were done at speed to eliminate swerve... Effectively compressing all of the tips into solids regardless of their hardness only established the high end of the scale... We need robots and golf money equipment LOL