Mark Wilson stands down as United States captain

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next person in line #6 on the North American continent is Rafael Martinez Chavez. We could keep going down the list.

Are you for real? Are we talking about the 50 or older Martinez? Pool is a young man's game. All of our stars are 50 years old now. Shane, Bergaman, and Deschane are the only ones at the top level that still have 10 more good years. Where on Fargo are the 15 year olds that will be the next Shane? They don't exist, because they are not playing the game in North America.

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
After watching the last three years of the MC on youtube, I conclude that SVB is just miserable there. He has his moments, but in general he does not play well at all.
Would he be a good captain? Then he could be there, but would be free of the burden of playing.
He might not have the time though, given his schedule of competition.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Where on Fargo are the 15 year olds that will be the next Shane?.

In their rooms playing "Call Of Duty" or some other such nonsense game. Youth of today are not interested in anything that requires commitment or leaving their precious keyboards.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you for real? Are we talking about the 50 or older Martinez? Pool is a young man's game. All of our stars are 50 years old now. Shane, Bergaman, and Deschane are the only ones at the top level that still have 10 more good years. Where on Fargo are the 15 year olds that will be the next Shane? They don't exist, because they are not playing the game in North America.

I hear what you are saying, but pool isn't exactly a young man's game. Top pros are capable of playing well into their fifties.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over thinking?

Are we over thinking the winning issue?

How often has Team USA won since they started racking the 9 ball on the spot?

Should the 1 ball be racked on the spot when playing in the USA?

Should Team USA practice the lag until their eye balls pop out and their arms ache?

Should Team USA practice the break until their eye balls pop out and their arms ache?

Should Team USA concentrate on 9' tables and short races?

Pool is not a team sport unless playing doubles. Lets not pretend it is please.

Compare our players to theirs, they are always heavy with current world class players that have won or placed high in world wide competition. Can't say that about Team USA.

Their apparent comrade and unity is easy to display when a team is winning. I believe some of it is "sharking" and Team USA should be aware of it.

Shane does not play his best at the Cup and it is up to him to decide on whether or not he should play again or take a break.

He is still the one none of them want to go up against for money in long sets and we all know why that is.

As far as a team goes. There are so many top tier world class players available for Team Europe to choose from that Team USA can not compete against them.

I wish it was different, but it ain't.

Picking a new Captain/Coach is way over my head.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am at a loss for who would make a good coach for Team USA. The existing lot of professional players in the States has been dwindling for sometime.

The coach must be able to fire up the team and get them excited to play. They must respect the coach and the coach's capabilities.

It would be nice to have a coach that has personality-plus, can still play some, and can teach. The team members must be open-minded to accept the coach's instruction.

But t's not the coach that is the problem; it's the players, IMO. They have no unison or cohesiveness.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ricky Evans comes to mind. He may be 15 but is already a very good player.

How old is Manuel Perez?

Billy Thorpe is still a teenager I believe. Sky Woodward and Landon Shuffett are both early 20s.

I wouldn't be surprised if all five were on the Mosconi Cup team in a decade.

Don Akerlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson was replaced as captain

Mosconi Cup Team USA-with Capt. Mark Wilson
4 hrs ·
Naturally today is a difficult day as I have been notified and replaced as Captain of Team USA. Yet, I hold no regret for the direction and efforts applied to resurrecting U.S. billiards relevance.
The approach was to reclaim pride and integrity along with excellence in the arena. We have made progress with installing proper values as a foundation for growth of the sport.
Sometimes in life things do not go as planned. We had invested in winning the Mosconi Cup and concurrently reclaim our sport. Patience and positivity wins longterm, quitting is not our style, your efforts will remain and be rewarded, despite any short term setbacks.
Each of you reading this has had an impact and I cannot convey the immense amount of my profound appreciation for all that you have contributed, sacrificed, and bestowed, towards moving billiards forward and away from the general perception of pool. The full measure of your investments has yet to be realized and these concepts will continue to grow and mature due to a better understanding of what distinguishes pool playing from a game and into a sport. While we fell short on the scoreboard, together we have established a direction necessary for performance excellence in the future.
The amount of emotion and passion among each of us for the sport can create an atmosphere of hostility and frustration, but negativity has never been a component of who we have been, who we are, or who we will be. I sincerely harbor no rancor towards the decision to replace me as the Captain and consider the opportunity to have been a great honor and privilege to be so entrusted.

FYI:
The only thing I can say about this is I was taken back at the beginning of the Mosconi Cup 2016, that had an interview with Mark Wilson, where he said, "I hope we don't suck". I have played on many teams and never has any of the coaches or captains ever made such a negative comment to us.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
But t's not the coach that is the problem; it's the players, IMO. They have no unison or cohesiveness.

Roaming cats, with no pro tour this is the natural way it plays out. Playing for cash and playing for pride breed different mindsets.

Like the NBA, kids have been practicing, playing and competing for 15 years, before they get outta college.

Pride, hard work and ones character is formed thru this long process. That type of structure for pool, is NOT here in the states, we just play for $$$$. There is No True Sport in the game of pool here in the U.S.A. .

Shenanigans

Registered
Mosconi Cup Team USA-with Capt. Mark Wilson

FYI:
The only thing I can say about this is I was taken back at the beginning of the Mosconi Cup 2016, that had an interview with Mark Wilson, where he said, "I hope we don't suck". I have played on many teams and never has any of the coaches or captains ever made such a negative comment to us.

He stated they were going to "try not to suck". Taken from Joe Maddon manager of the Chicago Cubs. But I agree it was lost on all non baseball fans and would have been better not said.

Attachments

• Try no to suck.jpg
    Try no to suck.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall

I saw a few posts on face book recommending Buddy Hall. He told me today if anybody is interested he would love the chance to be the coach. If anybody knows how to win, its him.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mosconi coach

The coach ABSOLUTELY has a lot to do with the performance of a team.

In this event, the coach might not have much input on the selection process- but has a lot of influence in the results.

An exceptional coach can do wonders - if given the opportunity and the time.

Mark Griffin

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its amazing that anyone believes the coach has any bearing on the quality of the team.

I agree. It's not like the Captain can tell you what shots to play. They can clone Willie Mosconi and make him Captain and its not going to change a damn thing. At the end of the day it's only a race to 5 alternate break. Id rather see a race to 7 winner breaks. Maybe team USA needs a hypnotist more than a coach/captain.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
The coach ABSOLUTELY has a lot to do with the performance of a team.

In this event, the coach might not have much input on the selection process- but has a lot of influence in the results.

An exceptional coach can do wonders - if given the opportunity and the time.

Mark Griffin

responsibility for results without much authority during the selection process doesn't bode well for results

our current selection process is a huge part of the problem, ie: to begin with table size, point allocation, derby city, etc