The ref for the Shaw vs Ko Match should never be allowed to ref a match ever again

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If all tables don't have a ref, then the TV table should not have one. Always the same racking BS in 9 ball. Get rid of the game...play 10 ball. Johnnyt

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If all tables don't have a ref, then the TV table should not have one. Always the same racking BS in 9 ball. Get rid of the game...play 10 ball. Johnnyt

I believe it's because the us open is being played in Asia on Star Sports.

#asianpoolplayerslivesmatter

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How difficult is it to have a referee (who racks the balls) for every match in the US Open? The mind no longer boggles but..........

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
#asianpoolplayerslivesmatter

LOL

Funny, this is a pattern!

Remember when SVB came back from the dead and the Ralf Souquet forfeit went the way of the dinosaur for the Asian player.

Remember when the player from japan never got paid by the open. UPA had to get involved.

Remember the taxes held from the foreign players.

Remember Mika kicked out of the venue.

Based on these above historical events I am having trouble believing this was innocent. Shaw knew the rules and had his back against the wall down 10 to 6 and lobbied for perfect racks 5 straight games despite rules saying must play them as they are.

KD

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched half the match before falling asleep. I too was surprised at all the tightening up of the balls by the ref.

Speaking of Big Ko, was it him vs Shane in the finals of the WPA world championships a couple of years ago? Whoever Shane was playing, was pattern racking the first 4 racks, until Shane spoke up and got the ref involved. If that was Ko, well then he clearly is not so squeaky clean himself. If it was someone else, then this is not relavent, and insert foot in my mouth:)

Flatfoot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw the ref get a little frustrated at Shaw, early in the match, after Shaw complained about a rack. I agree with one person who said that the height of the ref was an issue, because he had difficulty seeing the head balls from above.

I could see at one point, when the match was about 8 or 9 to 6 or so, that Ko got frustrated at the ref but still broke the balls. I thought to myself, that he was breaking while he was very uncomfortable. He should've somehow gotten that resolved before he broke.

Shaw's comeback was fantastic!

Ko's response was very good. I'll say this: Ko just gained me as a big fan of his with his response. Very classy response to a difficult issue, with...what I am sure, were raw nerves! The game of billiards, needs as many classy people as it can get.

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL

Funny, this is a pattern!

Remember when SVB came back from the dead and the Ralf Souquet forfeit went the way of the dinosaur for the Asian player.

Remember when the player from japan never got paid by the open. UPA had to get involved.

Remember the taxes held from the foreign players.

Remember Mika kicked out of the venue.

Based on these above historical events I am having trouble believing this was innocent. Shaw knew the rules and had his back against the wall down 10 to 6 and lobbied for perfect racks 5 straight games despite rules saying must play them as they are.

KD

HAHA, yea I cracked up as I was typing it. Glad he's a mature person and professional.

As far as the pattern racking, I would be surprised that either Ko would ever do something not within the rules. But I do not recall the match for certain.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of my bet or anything else it is completely unfair that the ref re-racked the balls for Shaw and not when Ko asked for it. It should be even rules for both players, either re-rack for both or not at all.

Come f*cking on man. This is supposed to be a pro event. Get someone that doesn't look like one of Charlies Oompa lumpa's to ref fairly. Not fair and I'm sad to see things like that happen is a sport that can clear make the game fair.

That guy 'Carl' isn't much of a ref and he has no business pretending to be. He was horrendous last year too

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it was Big Ko pattern racking vs Shane in the finals of the WPA world 9 ball championship in 2015. He racked exactly the same for the first 4 racks, until Shane spoke up and got the ref involved. Pot meet Kettle, ha ha. And ps, I bet on Ko a lot, no ill will against him from me at all. See below link that has picture of Ko's first 4 racks from that event.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5298438&postcount=11

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is bordering on disgraceful, to hear of disparate treatment.

And id further that, adding that a participant should not be required to be his own advocate. The ref/ host should set high standards for his/ its own actions and exceed expectations for quality of services.

A managing party should both seek and sieze the opportunity to do the right thing each and every time, without requiring a complaint or direction to perform the function.

Only one way to settle this: best of 9 sets to 25 for about $210k.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this event is so piss poor that a referee can't be provided for every match then there is a solution. Get the players themselves to neutral rack and refereee matches that they are not playing in. If this is above them (as it should be in a professional competition) then call the whole thing off or just get some f'king good players in from the local clubs, train them up, give them a tshirt with WPA World Championship and all that on it, and treated nice in front of their heroes.

Or just make it an amateur event.........

US Open. Strongest field ever. Clowns.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this event is so piss poor that a referee can't be provided for every match then there is a solution. Get the players themselves to neutral rack and refereee matches that they are not playing in. If this is above them (as it should be in a professional competition) then call the whole thing off or just get some f'king good players in from the local clubs, train them up, give them a tshirt with WPA World Championship and all that on it, and treated nice in front of their heroes.

Or just make it an amateur event.........

Ha ha, EVERY pool event is piss poor. None of them have money to pay for refs for each table. And volunteers? Forget that. Pool is all about "what about me?" No way will any locals rack for the "fun" of it.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha, EVERY pool event is piss poor. None of them have money to pay for refs for each table. And volunteers? Forget that. Pool is all about "what about me?" No way will any locals rack for the "fun" of it.

Nah, pool is about pool. As for the rest, you'd be surprised.

Would you like to see neutral referees (and therefore rackers) at professional pool tournaments? Or does this not interest you?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ko posted this on his Facebook page after the match

View attachment 474082

Great response from Ko

Someone affiliated said 138.
Total registered 139.

I saw the ref get a little frustrated at Shaw, early in the match, after Shaw complained about a rack. I agree with one person who said that the height of the ref was an issue, because he had difficulty seeing the head balls from above.
That guy 'Carl' isn't much of a ref and he has no business pretending to be. He was horrendous last year too

Ouch! :D
I believe Karl is a member here and also the TD. Introduced a "funny" rule where for foul on 9ball, opponent has to shoot spot shot instead of getting BIH http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=456033

They need to bring back the vets like Jay, Ken Shuman or even Michaela Tabb to be TD :D

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, pool is about pool. As for the rest, you'd be surprised.

Would you like to see neutral referees (and therefore rackers) at professional pool tournaments? Or does this not interest you?

Definitely support that
Also should be:
1) cameras/videos on all tables like what Kozoom did at W9B some years ago. PPV should also allow replay of videos not just live only.
2) true DA. i.e. winner from losers brackets has to beat hotseat player (winner of winners brackets) twice NOT once in final to win the title.
:D

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely support that
Also should be:
1) cameras/videos on all tables like what Kozoom did at W9B some years ago. PPV should also allow replay of videos not just live only.
2) true DA. i.e. winner from losers brackets has to beat hotseat player (winner of winners brackets) twice NOT once in final to win the title.
:D
i

Yeh but finals are different. Nobody is eliminated in a final, they get a silver medal or cup or money or something. Just make it a longer race, as you would in a single elimination or a round robin tournament. Double elimination is about reducing variance and accommodating for starting slow. Just make the final longer.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it was Big Ko pattern racking vs Shane in the finals of the WPA world 9 ball championship in 2015. He racked exactly the same for the first 4 racks, until Shane spoke up and got the ref involved. Pot meet Kettle, ha ha. And ps, I bet on Ko a lot, no ill will against him from me at all. See below link that has picture of Ko's first 4 racks from that event.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5298438&postcount=11

It is terrible that Ko didn't get a fair shake at a rerack, but dang, pattern racking is ridiculous, thanks for sharing that. So Ko got the first 4 breaks?

I watched a video of Dennis Orcollo doing that and I must say that spread is to damn predictable. As someone said in the comments "
watch 15:28 till the 9 gone, 18:35 till the 9 pocketed and 22:00 to the 9 pocketed DEJAVUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CRbIGy5PE