Matchroom -- PLEASE Use Jeremy Jones for Commentary Next Year.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats, you win the troll gold star! I did find a tissue to wipe my nose after that first set on Day One, but thanks for reminding me. I would estimate that I called the correct shot about 90% of the time. NO ONE gets them all right, except maybe you from the comfort of your easy chair.

One last thing, your opinion means less than zero to me. The opinion that counts is the people who keep asking me to work events like this. I was also the TD for over 200 major tournaments during the last thirty years and I got used to criticism while doing this job. I found out that no matter what you won't please everyone.

I'm proud of my record as a TD and commentator. Do you have anything to be proud of besides your negativity? Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself to speak badly about others. A lot of people are like that. Sound familiar?
Jay, you rock brother. You call 'em like you see 'em. Can't ask for any more. Why people think you should be 50% announcer/50% US cheerleader is beyond me.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always liked Jay, Jerry and Jim. I think a good commentator needs style and substance. Honestly, I value style slightly more. Calling a wrong shot, reading a pattern wrong, or failing at a bit of trivia is easily forgiven if the commentator’s voice creates an atmosphere of interest, intrigue, excitement or drama. I think the three J’s excel at that where others I’ve heard fall flat even if their words are more knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Congrats, you win the troll gold star! I did find a tissue to wipe my nose after that first set on Day One, but thanks for reminding me. I would estimate that I called the correct shot about 90% of the time. NO ONE gets them all right, except maybe you from the comfort of your easy chair.

One last thing, your opinion means less than zero to me. The opinion that counts is the people who keep asking me to work events like this. I was also the TD for over 200 major tournaments during the last thirty years and I got used to criticism while doing this job. I found out that no matter what you won't please everyone.

I'm proud of my record as a TD and commentator. Do you have anything to be proud of besides your negativity? Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself to speak badly about others. A lot of people are like that. Sound familiar?

90% of the shots right? That's funny!!! You get only the OBVIOUS shots 90% right. Every single one of us could get them right.

I'm picking JUST one match, let's see how many pearls of yours I've manged to spot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gebczo-yJy4

1:51 Shane is kicking this 1 ball two rails out of the corner...Shane doesn't listen to Jay, goes for one rail like any decent player would do!!!

3:38 He was trying to hook him behind the 4 and 5....ahahahaha even Jim Wych feels embarrassed by that comment and tries to give you another chance to get back in line, but NO you reply "He was playing safe all the way there!!!:thumbup:

6:53 I'll tell you, this 3-ball at the middle of the table is gonna be hard to hit...Filler hits it with the simplest one rail escape!!! Not only that though, Filler makes that 3-ball which is clearly a FLUKE and you go on saying "what a great shot!!!" Jim Wych stays silent once more!!!:D

11:15 there is no way Filler would have tried the one rail position, it would still be a 2 rail position but with check right side, hitting the short rail first then hit the diamond close to the side pocket ti kill the cue ball off on the left side of the 8. That 5 ball is way too wide to attempt the 1 rail position, very risky!

14:26 He just OPTED to leave Billy with a long shot...Wych: nothing else he could there Jay!!! Do I need to say more?

I could go on like this all day long with other Mosconi Cup videos with you as a commentator.

As for the tournament director humblebragging of yours, I'll tell you one thing: I don't know how good a TD you are as I've never been in one of your tournaments, but one thing I do know for sure is that a TD should never abandon his tournament, especially on Day 1. No matter what! Even if he's right on the issue that came up. This is not only my opinion, but of every TD I' had the chance to talk about it here at the Eurotour circuit.

And since you're taking this to a personal level, I'll let you know that I'm a biologist working for a big pharmaceutical company. Would you like to switch jobs with me just for once and see who's gonna fair better?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
90% of the shots right? That's funny!!! You get only the OBVIOUS shots 90% right. Every single one of us could get them right.

I'm picking JUST one match, let's see how many pearls of yours I've manged to spot...

1:51 Shane is kicking this 1 ball two rails out of the corner...Shane doesn't listen to Jay, goes for one rail like any decent player would do!!!

3:38 He was trying to hook him behind the 4 and 5....ahahahaha even Jim Wych feels embarrassed by that comment and tries to give you another chance to get back in line, but NO you reply "He was playing safe all the way there!!!:thumbup:

6:53 I'll tell you, this 3-ball at the middle of the table is gonna be hard to hit...Filler hits it with the simplest one rail escape!!! Not only that though, Filler makes that 3-ball which is clearly a FLUKE and you go on saying "what a great shot!!!" Jim Wych stays silent once more!!!:D

11:15 there is no way Filler would have tried the one rail position, it would still be a 2 rail position but with check right side, hitting the short rail first then hit the diamond close to the side pocket ti kill the cue ball off on the left side of the 8. That 5 ball is way too wide to attempt the 1 rail position, very risky!

14:26 He just OPTED to leave Billy with a long shot...Wych: nothing else he could there Jay!!! Do I need to say more?

I could go on like this all day long with other Mosconi Cup videos with you as a commentator.

As for the tournament director humblebragging of yours, I'll tell you one thing: I don't know how good a TD you are as I've never been in one of your tournaments, but one thing I do know for sure is that a TD should never abandon his tournament, especially on Day 1. No matter what! Even if he's right on the issue that came up. This is not only my opinion, but of every TD I' had the chance to talk about it here at the Eurotour circuit.

And since you're taking this to a personal level, I'll let you know that I'm a biologist working for a big pharmaceutical company. Would you like to switch jobs with me just for once and see who's gonna fair better?

You would like to swap bankrolls with me! I could probably buy and sell you ten times over. And I never had to push drugs making mine! :shakehead:

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
You would like to swap bankrolls with me! I could probably buy and sell you ten times over. And I never had to push drugs making mine! :shakehead:

When you can't defend the indefensible, anything you say sounds self-serving and hypocritical. The above post of yours would normally have you banned in any decent forum that respects itself...but hey, you're Jay and you're bossing it around here.:D

Anything substantial to say in our discussion though, Jay? Nope, ZERO!

I'm wishing you well with your health, but if the day comes and you'll need medical assistance, do a decent thing and at least thank all the snucars around the world who have worked hard to help you overcome your problem. You know, the drug pushers as you call them!:thumbup:

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not saying anything bad personally, about any past or present announcers. I have watched many hundreds or even thousands of hours of pool matches in the past decade or so.

While watching many of them, I find myself getting distracted because of an announcer who is not very good at the craft. Too many stupid comments or predictions about what just happened or is going to happen. I even hear some of them disagreeing to the point that I have lost the continuity of the match progress.

Jeremy Jones, IMHO, is far and away, in a league of his own when it comes to being a color commentator in the booth.

Why, you ask?

He has several of the ingredients necessary to fulfill that role;

1. He is a past and current world class player.
2. He understands the physics and geometry of pool very well.
3. He is a good orator.
4. He explains, with deftness, some of the differences between what a great player might be thinking, in contrast to what amateurs might be thinking in certain situations. Such as; learning to keep the ball off the rail, so that they don't put themselves in a difficult situation for their next shot, or giving themselves more room for error by taking an alternative path with the cue ball.
5. He has experienced pool from so many different perspectives, such as;
the euphoria of winning a major tournament
the utter dejection of blowing a tournament when he was cruising along and seemed to be the favorite
the feeling of needing to win a tournament because cash was needed so badly
the feeling of finally winning a big tournament and recalling all the hours of lonely work that he had put in
...and on, and on! These things give him the ability to put the listener into the mind of what the player might be thinking while he is at the table.

Many other players have some or most of the ingredients that I listed. However, to have all of those ingredients and be an exceptional orator, is rare.

JJ does a great job of explaining to the listener, the possibilities and choices for each shot, while he expresses some of the reasons why certain shot choices might be more advantageous. He does all of this with efficiency. What I mean by that, is that he doesn't waste a lot of words. This keeps the listener's attention and helps them to see it more from the player's perspective.

If you'll notice, the next time you hear JJ commentating, you'll realize that you are not getting distracted from the continuity of the match because of him making inaccurate comments. You'll realize that you are staying in tune with what is going on, because JJ's comments are so balanced, and in the moment.

The first time I ever heard JJ commentate, I was thinking to myself, that he is the best I've ever heard. I later commented to him that I thought he was at the top of the list in that category of announcers. His reply was very humble. He just said; "Well, thank you!"

Having said all of that, I believe JJ being a commentator in the biggest tournaments, is very good for the game!

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Not saying anything bad personally, about any past or present announcers. I have watched many hundreds or even thousands of hours of pool matches in the past decade or so.

While watching many of them, I find myself getting distracted because of an announcer who is not very good at the craft. Too many stupid comments or predictions about what just happened or is going to happen. I even hear some of them disagreeing to the point that I have lost the continuity of the match progress.

Jeremy Jones, IMHO, is far and away, in a league of his own when it comes to being a color commentator in the booth.

Why, you ask?

He has several of the ingredients necessary to fulfill that role;

1. He is a past and current world class player.
2. He understands the physics and geometry of pool very well.
3. He is a good orator.
4. He explains, with deftness, some of the differences between what a great player might be thinking, in contrast to what amateurs might be thinking in certain situations. Such as; learning to keep the ball off the rail, so that they don't put themselves in a difficult situation for their next shot, or giving themselves more room for error by taking an alternative path with the cue ball.
5. He has experienced pool from so many different perspectives, such as;
the euphoria of winning a major tournament
the utter dejection of blowing a tournament when he was cruising along and seemed to be the favorite
the feeling of needing to win a tournament because cash was needed so badly
the feeling of finally winning a big tournament and recalling all the hours of lonely work that he had put in
...and on, and on! These things give him the ability to put the listener into the mind of what the player might be thinking while he is at the table.

Many other players have some or most of the ingredients that I listed. However, to have all of those ingredients and be an exceptional orator, is rare.

JJ does a great job of explaining to the listener, the possibilities and choices for each shot, while he expresses some of the reasons why certain shot choices might be more advantageous. He does all of this with efficiency. What I mean by that, is that he doesn't waste a lot of words. This keeps the listener's attention and helps them to see it more from the player's perspective.

If you'll notice, the next time you hear JJ commentating, you'll realize that you are not getting distracted from the continuity of the match because of him making inaccurate comments. You'll realize that you are staying in tune with what is going on, because JJ's comments are so balanced, and in the moment.

The first time I ever heard JJ commentate, I was thinking to myself, that he is the best I've ever heard. I later commented to him that I thought he was at the top of the list in that category of announcers. His reply was very humble. He just said; "Well, thank you!"

Having said all of that, I believe JJ being an announcer in the biggest tournaments, is very good for the game!

Add Chris Melling to the list as well.
Jason

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you can't defend the indefensible, anything you say sounds self-serving and hypocritical. The above post of yours would normally have you banned in any decent forum that respects itself...but hey, you're Jay and you're bossing it around here.:D

I'm wishing you well with your health, but if the day comes and you'll need medical assistance, do a decent thing and at least thank all the snucars around the world who have worked hard to help you overcome your problem. You know, the drug pushers as you call them!:thumbup:

TAP TAP TAP Sir! Very well stated, you are class act.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Some of us are intelligent enough to know how the Pharmaceutical industry and Insurance industry are exploiting American citizens. And I know that you know that as well! Hypocritical? Please! Our Healthcare system is broken and the cost of healthcare is sky high for that reason. You are part of that problem snucar and you can defend it any way you want, but it doesn't change the reality. My making a mistake on calling the correct shot in a pool match pales in comparison to the game you play with our lives. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

One more thing - I don't consider myself any more important than anyone else who posts on this forum. All points of view are welcome in my opinion. The truth is you got your panties in a bunch when I called you out on your brag about having a high paying job with a "big" pharmaceutical company. Kind of tweeked your ego it seems.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite is Scott Frost commentating 1P. “They never shoot like that against me?!?!?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cashin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You nailed Jay to a tee. He was trying to hide his bias after criticized for his obvious preference for team Europe.. all because he bets on them and can't hide the fact that he is rooting for them to win in order to collect the cash. Plus Jerry only states the obvious.. example , like when someone scratches he comes up with the brilliant .. He didn't want to do that ! DUH! We really needed you to tell us that bit of wisdom....................
I totally agree. JJ and Dr. Bill...These guys are horrible. I actually had to turn off the sound yesterday. Jay even tried to do better with his bias but it still constantly crept in and was obvious he was trying to say something nice....lol Must have been painful eh Jay? Constantly saying the US is poor at safety play when the Euros are obviously getting better rolls off theirs and easier safeties to begin with. If you don't believe me read Justin Bergmans thoughts on this Jay... When a Euro guy shoots a obvious, easy safety, Jay is like... thats a great shot and why the Euros are so much better at safeties...lol

I mean how could they not know what a carbon fiber shaft is. Trying to guess if it was some kind of ash...lol These guys must have been hiding in their basements the last few years. The funny thing is they didn't say a word about the black break cues half the players were using, just Fillers player. I wonder if they even know those black break cues are not wood...lol If these guys are so out of touch with pool why are they even in the booth.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In going to have to chime in with some support for Jay. I always thought Jay was a good commentator because he brings an energy to the broadcast.
Jeremy Jones is really good from a technical angle but the has a monotone delivery which can lose the average viewer on a international broadcast. Especially in this day and age where a single commercial 30 sec long will have 60 edits...attention spans are way down. So programming is fighting for that ever so precious stray viewer who stops for 30 seconds. Can the production at any point in time get that viewer to not just stay, but tune back in tomorrow as well?

For that type of production you must have one commentator who has energy, knowledge, decorum, and above all, play by the production rules (know your sponsors, don't advertise for anything unwarranted, etc.)

Jay does all this and that's why he's a good commentator.

To break down a video and highlight errors and missteps when they are viewing a 3 dimensional game on flat screens with fish eye wide lenses on the overhead is a bit unfair.

Mistakes are always going to be made. But how critical will they be?

I guarantee you that if Jay was stellar and got every shot prediction right but then said the table is playing like garbage, Matchroom would be beside themselves. They couldn't care less about technical info to the extreme fans like us.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Some of us are intelligent enough to know how the Pharmaceutical industry and Insurance industry are exploiting American citizens. And I know that you know that as well! Hypocritical? Please! Our Healthcare system is broken and the cost of healthcare is sky high for that reason. You are part of that problem snucar and you can defend it any way you want, but it doesn't change the reality. My making a mistake on calling the correct shot in a pool match pales in comparison to the game you play with our lives. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

And you would be wise to provide far greater substantiation or "proof" of your claims than the very broad statements above. This is the second time that you have jumped on one of my posts for the wrong reasons. You need to improve your reading comprehension skills and lose that "know it all" attitude because my flesh certainly ain't for your teeth. I'm a EUROPEAN biologist, working in Europe and I do medical RESEARCH (globally recognized by the finest universities, including yours in the States). What the companies do with their marketing, the sales or whatever other perversity you have in your mind is none of my business. I've read in one of your other posts that you're into the real estate business...How is money laundering done through real estate, Jay? Give us some insight! Or, how much money have you made in your life by fixing pool matches? And since you're not the brightest of people (judging by the nature of your arguments), let me make it CLEAR that all these questions are completely rhetorical and I am in no way implying that the specific questionable "activity" is related with the way you do business in real life. Just wanted to show you how easy it is to throw DIRT to someone's work, which is what you did with mine.

But the most amusing thing is how you always tend to derail/sabotage the REAL argument when you have nothing else to defend yourself. Your bankroll statement should be a reminder to all your "admirers" and let them know what you really think about them deep inside your confused head, cause every single time someone 's gonna try to oppose to you, this is what they're gonna get. Oh the peasants...:p

One more thing - I don't consider myself any more important than anyone else who posts on this forum. All points of view are welcome in my opinion.

One last thing, your opinion means less than zero to me. The opinion that counts is the people who keep asking me to work events like this.

You need to decide, Jay! What's gonna be?

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I think Jay and JJ would do a nice job together in the booth. I first heard Jay's commentary from the 1999 US Open. He was commentating Jeremy Jones <vs> J.Rempe. It was very late into the early morning. Great match and outstanding commentary from Jay.

Today's Mosconi Cup is a different deal. They need a balanced mix of commentators, including token American Commentators, with lots of sayings and cliches, to fit the mold of their production. Most important thing for the commentator is to stay on track with the speed of the match and create fake excitement every step of the way by saying impressive, unbelievable and shocking things..

Jay does this well.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
In going to have to chime in with some support for .
Jeremy Jones is really good from a technical angle but the has a monotone delivery which can lose the average viewer on a international broadcast.
CK, I guarantee you that the main issue with the current commentators IS with the international viewers. This hyperbolic and technically imprecise kind of commentary feels tired and dated to most of us. It used to be fun back in the 80s or early 90s but we're on the dawn of 2018. Just take a look at most of MC videos on youtube and you'll find plenty of comments stating that. You simply can't go on offering the same old tired commentary product to an eternity. At some point you have to renew it. Snooker did that and it has paid wonders. Even the 'energy' commentators like Willie Thorne or John Virgo are getting sacked one by one now for various reasons. Nobody wants to hear "where's that cue ball going" (Virgo) or "holly cow" (Jerry F.) anymore. They want the Hendrys, the Foulds, the Appletons etc. You won't lose any spectators if their voice is monotone as you say. The pool crowd is a small one unfortunately and a hardcore one. There is no average viewers left to tune in to watch...pool. We, fans, are turning on the TV to watch the pool action regardless who's commentating the match. So make it count at least and try to offer the public an efficient and knowledgeable quality. I'll tell you more, some of the american idioms these guys are using quite a lot are getting lost in translation to a good slice of the international viewers that are not familiar with that sort of way of speaking. That is another thing a good commentator should always consider. I don't like Jim Wych's commentary overall but in this department he's head and shoulders above the other ones sharing the commentary box with him. He never forgets that he's talking to a world wide audience and not to a strictly american one.

Especially in this day and age where a single commercial 30 sec long will have 60 edits...attention spans are way down. So programming is fighting for that ever so precious stray viewer who stops for 30 seconds. Can the production at any point in time get that viewer to not just stay, but tune back in tomorrow as well?

Yes they will. Regardless the commentator. Like I said the MC viewers are 98% hardcore pool fans. They'll always come back even if Donald Duck's doing the commentary.

For that type of production you must have one commentator who has energy, knowledge, decorum, and above all, play by the production rules (know your sponsors, don't advertise for anything unwarranted, etc.)
Are you implying that Jeremy Jones or any other navigated professional pool player cannot learn these simple rules when commentating? We're not talking science here. Just have a look at the snooker scene again, I think they're doing fine.

I guarantee you that if Jay was stellar and got every shot prediction right but then said the table is playing like garbage, Matchroom would be beside themselves. They couldn't care less about technical info to the extreme fans like us.

I'll use snooker as an example once again and inform you that it is very much allowed to question the conditions of the table, the arena and the tournament organisation in general live on television. It happens quite often actually. Guess who's running things there? Yes, it's the same man running Matchroom. Last year's Irish Open changed venue because of that free criticism.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CK, I guarantee you that the main issue with the current commentators IS with the international viewers. This hyperbolic and technically imprecise kind of commentary feels tired and dated to most of us. It used to be fun back in the 80s or early 90s but we're on the dawn of 2018. Just take a look at most of MC videos on youtube and you'll find plenty of comments stating that. You simply can't go on offering the same old tired commentary product to an eternity. At some point you have to renew it. Snooker did that and it has paid wonders. Even the 'energy' commentators like Willie Thorne or John Virgo are getting sacked one by one now for various reasons. Nobody wants to hear "where's that cue ball going" (Virgo) or "holly cow" (Jerry F.) anymore. They want the Hendrys, the Foulds, the Appletons etc. You won't lose any spectators if their voice is monotone as you say. The pool crowd is a small one unfortunately and a hardcore one. There is no average viewers left to tune in to watch...pool. We, fans, are turning on the TV to watch the pool action regardless who's commentating the match. So make it count at least and try to offer the public an efficient and knowledgeable quality. I'll tell you more, some of the american idioms these guys are using quite a lot are getting lost in translation to a good slice of the international viewers that are not familiar with that sort of way of speaking. That is another thing a good commentator should always consider. I don't like Jim Wych's commentary overall but in this department he's head and shoulders above the other ones sharing the commentary box with him. He never forgets that he's talking to a world wide audience and not to a strictly american one.

Yes they will. Regardless the commentator. Like I said the MC viewers are 98% hardcore pool fans. They'll always come back even if Donald Duck's doing the commentary.

Are you implying that Jeremy Jones or any other navigated professional pool player cannot learn these simple rules when commentating? We're not talking science here. Just have a look at the snooker scene again, I think they're doing fine.

I'll use snooker as an example once again and inform you that it is very much allowed to question the conditions of the table, the arena and the tournament organisation in general live on television. It happens quite often actually. Guess who's running things there? Yes, it's the same man running Matchroom. Last year's Irish Open changed venue because of that free criticism.

I see your points.
But there is that energy factor.
I don't know the names of the snooker commentators, but the guy with the deep voice and heavy accent has some good energy. As does Alex Lely, for pool. Would you say Alex Lely meets a good standard?

Look, I'm a die hard pool fan but even I can nod off during a long winded match with endless safety battles.
A good energy into the commentating is needed. I just think Jay brings that to the table.