The Rack in Detroit

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
they'd simply put him "back in the drawer". LoL

When I was hanging out at the RACK every day they had a funny thing going on.

A guy that had been barred would call and cuss whoever answered out for as long as they would listen.....then he'd call back and do the same thing.

Their solution was to answer the phone, then put the receiver in a drawer. Every 5-10 minutes they'd take the phone out of the drawer and put it to their ear. If he was still cussing, they'd simply put him "back in the drawer". LoL

There's always a solution, even dealing with the most obnoxious haters. ;)

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member

A guy that had been barred would call and cuss whoever answered out for as long as they would listen.....then he'd call back and do the same thing.

Their solution was to answer the phone, then put the receiver in a drawer. Every 5-10 minutes they'd take the phone out of the drawer and put it to their ear. If he was still cussing, they'd simply put him "back in the drawer". LoL

How long would Red go on before he realized nobody was on the other end and hang up? Would they have an over/under bet going for how long it would take? :)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know the inside line

How long would Red go on before he realized nobody was on the other end and hang up? Would they have an over/under bet going for how long it would take? :)

You know the inside line don't you. :thumbup:

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member

That was "Penelope".

He was a bookie at Hazel Park racetrack that got barred from there and the Rack and he blamed "Superfly" which is another story in itself. He would call and drive by the pool room relentlessly before it was finally stopped.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Wish I knew how to get ahold of Allan McCarty and Steve Titus, they would speak of The Rack and the goings on there in high regard and hushed tones. Every so often at our company meetings (Predator) they would tell a quick story that wasn't too colorful or unbelievable otherwise we would pester them for more stories and not get any work done.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be in bad taste, but, here goes.

Whitey was one of the most disgusting people I ever met.

He had this pickup truck with a camper on it and left a light on in Denver and I voluteere to give him a jump.

When we got to the truck and he opened that camper, I near puked right there. There were like 4 dogs in there and it smelled as if they hadn't been outside in a month. That was near 40 years ago and I remember that like yesterday.

I saw him take the sickest bet I ever heard of and collect. I may tell it later, but can't think of a way to tell it right now. I mean Sick.

the sadist in me wants the details

Dosed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why not...such a good thread... lets pull one more from the banks of the greats and witnesses

why not...such a good thread... lets pull one more from the banks of the greats and witnesses

I was at the Rack in the wintertime probably between 80-83 with a friend. Not much was going on and when we left the battery in my 1965 Falcon Futura was dead:frown:. We went back in and convinced Bernie Thornwall to come out and give my car a jump. Naturally he asked if I "had cables":smile:. I did.

That's the only Rack story the Detroit Pool Historian allows me to tell.

RBL

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are great stories about hundreds of Pool Rooms... if only we had the internet back then.

Talk about "trashing action"... it would be real difficult to rob folks anymore...

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few of the patrons liked the ponies but there was a problem. They bet so high that they would turn a 20-1 horse into the favorite. What to do? They would bring their own bookmaker from the poolroom and have him take all of their action so as to not effect the odds.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not going to mention names. I knew two road players that payed the Rack a visit in the mid 70s. To convince all the high-rollers that they were ready for action, they stuffed their pockets with toilet paper! Imagine the spectical of each player's two front pockets bulging to the max, not with cecils, but with toilet tissue.

You got to love poolplayers.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
With the Poolhalls You Wish Were Still Around thread on the front page it reminded me of this thread which in my opinion is the best on AZ. The last post was over 1 year ago so I thought it worthy of resurrection. If you have any memeories of The Rack that came flooding back post them here. Or if you're a newbie go back and start reading on page 1 and thank me later.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry to ask this again, since it's probably already discussed,but would the Top Players from Cornbread's and Bug's Day, beat today's Players at 9-ball,One-Pocket,and Banks?

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, spent another 2 hours this afternoon reading about the RACK again. I was only about 20-25 when I used to go there but remember most of the guys that were mentioned. Great read for a cool 65 degree day in sunny Florida.

Tom

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny and sad thread. Imagine if these talented folks had focused on their efforts on something productive for their families and society.

But then there wouldn't be these great stories ;)

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry to ask this again, since it's probably already discussed,but would the Top Players from Cornbread's and Bug's Day, beat today's Players at 9-ball,One-Pocket,and Banks?

You really can't match players of different eras other than speculation. The top players of Cornbread and Bugs era were extremely well seasoned, battle tested and respected.