American Billiard Radio's Dave Bond - RIP

crawf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very said news. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times. Great person and ambassador of Billiards.

At one of the Chicago AZ meet ups, he handed out some 8x10 pictures of Herman Rambow in his shop, I was very happy to get one. I offered to buy him a beverage as a thank you, he said no thanks and bought me one.

A major loss to billiards and AZ.

RIP Mr. Bond

John

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
OMG! This is terrible news. David was in his fifties, so this is very unexpected. I loved having Dave broadcast Randyg and I's "One Minute Pool Instructor" tips, that ran for 2 or 3 years on ABR. He will be sorely missed!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Not this matters at all, but just for the record, according to his Facebook profile, David was 47.

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
Aw ...

Mr. Bond reached out to me, back in 2013, to see if I'd be interested in being a reporter on a 'billiard radio program' he was putting together. I wasn't -- no time, no talent -- but we talked a few times, a few pleasant times, on life in general.

Requiescat in pace, Mr. Bond.

Sunny

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His billiard history section is a good read, sad that I never met him when I was in Chicago for Jr Nationals. I wanted to see some of the collection but never managed to arrange a time we were both free.

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a loss. I travel for work and just found his podcast and was really enjoying listening to all the episodes, Came across the podcast as a really great and down to earth guy. RIP

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Very sad. We were gonna hook up this year and play some pool together. I can't even find anything regarding obituary or funeral services. Usually, you can find that within 48 hours. Anyone know anything about the services?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sad. We were gonna hook up this year and play some pool together. I can't even find anything regarding obituary or funeral services. Usually, you can find that within 48 hours. Anyone know anything about the services?

I can't address your question, but I do hope you are able to attend on our behalf.

Wow. I still can't comprehend this.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Very sad. One of the good guys here, very informative, and ABR was awesome as well. Will be greatly missed....

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I must say, I remain shocked and deeply saddened by this terrible news.
David was bright, engaging, gregarious and held an extremely strong desire to contribute
to the world of billiards.
His thoughtful, interesting work on ABR was an outgrowth of this desire to make a difference.
His establishment of the Chicago Billiard Museum was also toward this end.
As were all of his other activities, including his interactions on AZB.
Always engaging, extremely smart, inquisitive, and an unbelievable researcher.....and friendly.
He will be missed but not forgotten. A loss for our genre.

Will Prout

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, the is the only thing I can find too. You have to be a member to find out info on the services ?? I don't even know how that works. Usually, google will pop it right up from whatever newspaper it was printed in?

And it was a Texas paper's website too.

I doubt paying for access would held much more than a statement encouraging one to "check back for further details" at a later point.

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never had the pleasure of meeting the man but I have listened to every single episode of ABR. It is my favorite podcast to listen to. Dave gave so much to billiards and the billiards community, never asking for a thing in return. I'm so shocked and saddened by this I can't even express it.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave Bond, (Ben) and His Sudden Passing

I received a call from a very reliable source tonight, telling me that the pool world has lost Dave Bond. I am still very stunned and have very little information. As I am informed of additional info, I will share it here.

Sometimes I wish that life was never ending
And all good things, they say, never last
- Prince

Hello all,

As you can imagine, I've been greatly affected by the unexpected passing of this prominent member of our pool community, whom I called friend.

Dave & I drove to Beloit together to interview and film this years Mosconi Cup Team USA and we've known each other for some years.

While we struggle to understand the consequences of his passing, we want to understand the details surrounding his death.

I will tell you what I know from having visited the places he spent his time and speaking to the people that I knew of, that had seen him.

He lived upstairs from a bar called the Lunar Brewery in Villa Park, IL.
The building also houses what was to be The Chicago Billiard Museum.
Those terms and details are unknown to me.
What I do know.
Dave had closed his bar tab and started to go home, (out and around and up) it was icy, the stairs are steep enough sober, maybe more so impaired.
He fell, his hand was in his pocket and he was unable to brace or catch himself.
The owner arrived at the bar to find police cars. Thinking a traffic accident had occurred he learned of Dave's passing.
When I heard on Sunday, I made my way there to ask and gather details as best I could..
I saw Dave's car and parked next to it, went in & talked to the owner.
Last night I went back, hung out at the bar, and tried to learn more concerning a memorial or a burial.
Dave's car was no longer there.

I am no closer to knowing who is handling his estate or who his next of kin is or who has access to those items still housed on the premises.

Dave was in possession of some items that were to be displayed in the museum, and the owners of the items to be displayed would like their items restored to them.
Rightfully so.

While Dave was not cash-rich, he was a wealth of joy, knowledge and good nature and was applying every aspect of himself to enriching and preserving pool's history in spite of not always having the means to do so.
It makes his efforts all that more precious.

Ben, I'm glad we had some time in Beloit.
I'm gonna miss you.

-Angel

Attached: Some stills of Dave interviewing members of this years Mosconi Cup Team USA.

Attachments

• Team USA at Beloit (87) dave Jeff C Oscar Trler S.jpg
    Team USA at Beloit (87) dave Jeff C Oscar Trler S.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 479
  • Team USA at Beloit (74) Happy Dave Billy.jpg
    Team USA at Beloit (74) Happy Dave Billy.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 485
  • Team USA at Beloit (79) Dave Dennis H.jpg
    Team USA at Beloit (79) Dave Dennis H.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 515
  • Team USA at Beloit (63)Dave Johan.jpg
    Team USA at Beloit (63)Dave Johan.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 491

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Angel, Thank you very much for the information. I have a feeling more than a few of us have been curious on what may have happened. David and I had met in Denver a few years back at the cue collectors show, I was thrilled to meet John Barton and Mr. Bond within minutes of each other. David had a very interesting sense of humor that he flashed a couple of times, I even mentioned it to him and he just grinned.

I am very sorry for the loss of your friend and I hope that we can always reflect on his written words and remember that when it came to Billiard history Dave was the man.

Incidentally you and I have met also back in 2013 at the Mosconi cup, Stu introduced us. Once again thanks for helping to clear up the mystery.

RIP Mr. Bond.

Jim.

crawf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Angel, thank you for looking into what you could and post what you learned about this tragic event.

Again, RIP Mr. Bond

John