Pool Players day jobs (No Doctors?)

trfitters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a guy that plays in the Break Time cash league that is in some sort of medical field. Eye doctor or something like that. Forget his name but he shoots decent and looks Indian.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DR Jerry Graham played a lot of pool.

As did PROFESSOR Roy Shire. They were the two most educated tag team rasslers the ring has ever seen, even if Graham was actually a "Doctor "of Ear Biting and Shire was a "Professor" of Kidney Punching. But we can't be too particular.

Only "Doctor" I ever met in a pool room was a bookie who always told his clients to ask for "Doctor Hemingway" whenever someone wanted to call in a bet. But his real name was Peaches.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're good customers. No air barrels. :)

LOL!

Yeah. The prices often go up too when people see the MD.

I have cards that say MD and cards that don't. They are used strategically. :thumbup:

But sometimes we are comped stuff too...gotta know how to play it. :wink:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the school of hard knocks.

Don't think I'm a doctor tho...

Here ya go. With all the Rights, Honors, and Privileges Thereunto Appertaining.

700-38417-Doctorate++Of+Hard+Knocks.jpg

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Here ya go. With all the Rights, Honors, and Privileges Thereunto Appertaining.

700-38417-Doctorate++Of+Hard+Knocks.jpg

Wow. Thanks! I feel just like the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz!!

The sum of a high potomus of a triangle and all that!

All these aiming systems are becoming crystal clear now too. Wow.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have had the pleasure of talking with AZ's Vagabond several times. I may be imagining things but I thought he might be a Doctor of some kind.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine is a Doctor and he comes to the pool hall here almost every Sunday to bang around some balls. I was just talking to him yesterday and he was asking me what kind of tip I had on my cue. It gets lots of "action" and I get asked that at least once or twice every Sunday. FWIW, I use an Ultra-skin soft.

This Doctor also has some nice cues. A South West, I think a TAD, and a few more top-end cues. The cue he is shooting with on most Sundays is made by our own JoeyInCali here on AZB.

I also used to play pool with a Psychiatrist many years ago. He was from somewhere up East where they liked to play 14.1 a lot. He used a high-dollar cue, too, but I can't remember what kind it was.

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine at my pool club is heart surgeon.

Interesting fact, at a tournament a few weeks ago. A player had a stroke, then he felt hitting his trachea on the side of the table.

He managed to save the dude before ambulance arrived.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine at my pool club is heart surgeon.

Interesting fact, at a tournament a few weeks ago. A player had a stroke, then he felt hitting his trachea on the side of the table.

He managed to save the dude before ambulance arrived.

OK...but how did he do in the tournament?

Pangit

Banned
OP,
I would say the reason you don't see many of us is due to work schedules and time management. The schooling part is pretty obvious as well as everything else one has to keep up with to practice a specialty. The flip side is that to stay in stroke unless you are/were a prodigy at some point with great mechanics requires a LOT of time.

Another thing to consider is the 'Pool" environment. If one grew up playing pool and had a love for the game before school, that really doesn't play a factor. However, most of the other medical professionals I know don't come from that kind of background.......... I was 12 when I started playing pool in the Boys Clubs. I worked as a mechanic/automotive tech thru high school and a few years after until I was able to go to college.

I played my best pool when I was 19-22, and after school it took a good three years to get near where I was at that age playing at least 5 days a week!! (roughly 12 year break) Now I play 3 days a week and have been playing again for about a year after 3-4 years off. Time is the key, Doc

That, and medical practice probably pays way better than any "professional" pool player can imagine...malpractice insurance included.

Anyone that wants to play pool for a living doesn't want a real job.

DappleHillJim

Registered
Not for the road warriors or maybe yes but have you ever met a pool player that was a doctor?

In my many years of playing at different pool halls i have never met a pool player that was a doctor.

Any out there ? Be nice to meet on in Cary or Raleigh NC.

Gulfportdoc, who is a physician and on AZB, plays a great game of one pocket. Spends a lot of free time at the pool room down in Gulfport.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tournament got cancelled. Some people were in shock.

He had to make him artificially breathe by applying tons of pressure on his chest.

Wow. Sounds like he really did crush his larynx. Very dramatic.

Lucky the doc was there. And probably lucky he was a surgeon too. He could do a cricothyrotomy or tracheotomy if necessary. Any doc should be able to do a cric, but a tracheotomy is another matter.

This is why they teach to punch a person in the throat in self defense classes. Do it if you have to to defend your life but you can easily kill somebody.

I saved a guy on a plane once. Got a thank you letter from a head honcho at the airline and a voucher for a free flight. I almost had to do a cricothyrotomy.

I am sure it was shocking to witness.

And it only took me an hour and 45 minutes to type this post....:eek:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM knows of a dentist (I forgot his name) who was really strong.

His name is Brian, and he was in Richmond, VA when I saw him. I cannot remember his last name, but he's the dentist. :)

Here he is in front of Billy Stephen's old pool room, The Playing Field.

Attachments

• Dentist.JPG
    Dentist.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 161

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like others that have posted here, I also have a Ph.D. Mine is in medicinal chemistry. I can't speak for others, but going through grad school, post-doc, and now in industry you really have to make time to shoot. I get to shoot one night a week during leagues. When that is over I will go months without picking up my cues. I have 18 month old twins so the demand of family and my career really dominate my life. I have to travel quite a bit for work as well.