Pool Players day jobs (No Doctors?)

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think i might know who you are talking about.

I guess i was wrong and there a "FEW" out there. Not many that I can tell. If you noticed people replied one or 2 from different states. I was just curious because I have never known to encountered one.

I figured with busy work schedules or school pool time would be hard to come by.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Just a thought...

Whenever I have someone do a job for me that is important and demands a lot of skill and training, I try and find someone who is not only a perfectionist, but also has the highest degree of passion for that particular task. I don't know if I'd use anyone who's main passion is something other than what his job is, that is, if I knew.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His name is Brian, and he was in Richmond, VA when I saw him. I cannot remember his last name, but he's the dentist. :)

Here he is in front of Billy Stephen's old pool room, The Playing Field.

Excellent dentist, person, and phenomenal pool player.

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol for all those who think I am in search of a doctor for medical reason or for anything of that sort please understand I am not.

This was a casual question I thought about as I have met all kinds of different players just never a Doctor

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
isn't there a highroller from Atlanta that is a dentist or orthodontist? Jason something maybe?

Andy
been wrong before

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had the pleasure of talking with AZ's Vagabond several times. I may be imagining things but I thought he might be a Doctor of some kind.

I could be very wrong, but I don’t believe he is. I thought he was in imports trading.

Freddie <~~~ maybe he said, “implants.”

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
That, and medical practice probably pays way better than any "professional" pool player can imagine...malpractice insurance included.

Anyone that wants to play pool for a living doesn't want a real job.

Don't know about MD pay or insurance cost, but the pool player wanna be pro comment is sadly all too true.

The ophthalmologist who gives me eyeball shots admitted to playing recreationally, like myself. He shoots with a Schon.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a thought...

Whenever I have someone do a job for me that is important and demands a lot of skill and training, I try and find someone who is not only a perfectionist, but also has the highest degree of passion for that particular task. I don't know if I'd use anyone who's main passion is something other than what his job is, that is, if I knew.

Well, most doctors I know are pretty darn good at a lot of things. Typically they are high performance individuals. I have trained two Olympic athletes in medicine.

When a person spends 70 hours a week or so at their profession, they can't have a hobby they are passionate about a few hours a week?

I have never met any doctor that puts more time, energy, or passion into something other than his/her profession.

I am sure they are out there...but I can't imagine they would last long in such a demanding profession if their focus was on something else.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know about MD pay or insurance cost, but the pool player wanna be pro comment is sadly all too true.

The ophthalmologist who gives me eyeball shots admitted to playing recreationally, like myself. He shoots with a Schon.

At the same time, it might not be quite what is popularly thought.

https://eclubofarizona.wordpress.com/2016/10/01/the-deceptive-salary-of-doctors/

deceptive-salary-of-doctors.jpg

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I have a doctorate (Ph. D.) in Entomology. I'm not a medical doctor, but I can cure you of your bug woes. :grin-devilish:

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't shoot pool with anyone that is a M.D., and only 1 guy has a PhD.

However I do shot with a lot that have a CDL.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a doctorate (Ph. D.) in Entomology. I'm not a medical doctor, but I can cure you of your bug woes. :grin-devilish:

Gotta dig entomology. When I was in pre-med I thought about going on for graduate studies in entomology.

At that time I was playing pool pretty regularly with my anatomy prof. I don't want to say he talked me out of it, but he did suggest to me that chicks don't dig insect scientists. :D

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a thought...

What?! Id say there are far more of us who work to support the things we love and like to do, than get to do what we we love for work.

I'd haveta fuhkin slap myself if I ever caught me doing my work for no paycheck.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Yes, we are mostly nerds and loners! :p

Gotta dig entomology. When I was in pre-med I thought about going on for graduate studies in entomology.

At that time I was playing pool pretty regularly with my anatomy prof. I don't want to say he talked me out of it, but he did suggest to me that chicks don't dig insect scientists. :D

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not for the road warriors or maybe yes but have you ever met a pool player that was a doctor?

In my many years of playing at different pool halls i have never met a pool player that was a doctor.

Any out there ? Be nice to meet on in Cary or Raleigh NC.

i play league with a Dentist.
His nick name is Novocain Joe.
He traded a set of new dentures for a custom cue made by one of Colorados top makers.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
isn't there a highroller from Atlanta that is a dentist or orthodontist? Jason something maybe?

Andy
been wrong before

Jason kirkus, he is not a doctor,but i think he sells medical equipment.( and he is one of the highest high rollers in the country...period. Anyone in the gambling world of pool knows jason.