Favorite player and least favorite player?

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Favorite - Mike Sigel The best. Mike's original retirement, and getting away from pool back in the mid 80s, finally allowed others to win a lot more, that is just a fact. I gotta say, regardless of what he says though, his game has never been the same since that time.

Least Favorite - Ralf Souquet and all others who shoot his very slowwwww pace. It is like watching paint dry.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Mika is from Finland, but has lived in NY for a while. Strickland is from NC I think, and only lived in NY briefly. Shaw is from Scotland and lives in CT. Dechaine is from ME and currently lives in NH I believe. Really non of these people are New Yorkers. Mika lived there long enough that he may have become a New Yorker. Shaw and Strickland not so much, if at all. Dechaine not even close.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Way to rep your city!

Not new Yorkers! Just visiting

Thanks for a clear understanding of the comment! Should have said north east not specifically new york!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I will only list my favorite to watch play. Because I have no intention of trying to become best buddies with any of them, frankly, all that matters is if I like watching them play on streams.

Efren Reyes
SVB
Jayson Shaw
Rodney Morris

My least favorite players are any of the excessively slow players or the one's that pull too many antics while playing that take away from the game itself. Although Jayson has acted up at times, his play is still so awesome, that he is still in my favorite to watch category.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a few like most here, and didn't see anybody else mention Johnny Archer. I don't care for his style in this century, but always enjoyed watching the young Johnny play, ca. early 1990s.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Have a few like most here, and didn't see anybody else mention Johnny Archer. I don't care for his style in this century, but always enjoyed watching the young Johnny play, ca. early 1990s.

I used to like to watch Earl when he was young too. Now....I'd rather watch a cow piss.

Maniac

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
Favorites: Eddie Taylor, Bugs Rucker, Shannon Daulton, Freddy the Beard, John Brumback, & Truman Hogue.

Least favorites, probably anyone who shoots a straight in shot when there's a high percentage bank available...

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way to rep your city!

Not new Yorkers! Just visiting

Thanks for a clear understanding of the comment! Should have said north east not specifically new york!

Kd

I'm a bit confused. I don't live in NY and never have. I'm just outside Boston and have been my whole life.

Yes, in the case of your comment, northeast would have been more accurate. I think Mika is the only one of that bunch with long term residence in NY. Dechaine basically just took an 8 week vacation there to film that show the Hustlers.

To be fair, the northeast has a pretty wide range of typical personality types. NYC is pretty obvious, and to a lesser extent Boston. However get up to Vermont or areas of Maine (where MD is from) and it's a LOT less of that NYC/Boston city attitude.

Pretty sure the "asshole" is a species native to all 50 states, but specific behaviors may vary by geography haha!

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
Favorites: Nick Varner & Alex Pagulayan. Both world class, on and off the table. Varner sat next to me at a match and graciously answered all my questions. Alex once interrupted his gambling match to let a disabled fan take a selfie with him.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Sigel's "retirement" was in 1994.

You can say that is when he "officially" retired if you like. But his true game retired when he began sponsoring Brunswick 88-89. After that time, he played very few tournaments. To watch him in late 89, 90, 91, 92, etc... is no comparison.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You can say that is when he "officially" retired if you like. But his true game retired when he began sponsoring Brunswick 88-89. After that time, he played very few tournaments. To watch him in late 89, 90, 91, 92, etc... is no comparison.

Some say this is the match that made Sigel retire...
...hill-hill, Varner has an easy nine skid on him...but it comes back and almost freezes on
the cue ball...Sigel freaks and knocks it off the table.

http://store.accu-stats.com/mike-sigel-vs-nick-varner-dvd-1990-u-s-open/
....you have to buy it to watch it....reduced rate...and its worth it.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Some say this is the match that made Sigel retire...
...hill-hill, Varner has an easy nine skid on him...but it comes back and almost freezes on
the cue ball...Sigel freaks and knocks it off the table.

http://store.accu-stats.com/mike-sigel-vs-nick-varner-dvd-1990-u-s-open/
....you have to buy it to watch it....reduced rate...and its worth it.
I was a big fan. But, he had some serious problems with his ex wife and other issues going on that "truly" retired him...

Not in to bad mouthing people but cannot let people believe that the above reasons mentioned are legitimate explanations for the retirement per say.

Kd

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was a big fan. But, he had some serious problems with his ex wife and other issues going on that "truly" retired him...

Not in to bad mouthing people but cannot let people believe that the above reasons mentioned are legitimate explanations for the retirement per say.

Kd

I confess I don’t know much about that.

Once at a tournament, somebody asked me a question about Mike Sigel’s cues...
...I told him I didn’t know...hadn’t spoke to him in years...
...he said “Whaddiya talkin’ about, you were just with him for at least half an hour.”....
....I said “Yeah, but I never got the chance to say anything.”...:eek:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorite = The Magician, Efren Reyes

Least favorite = Mike Sigel... when someone says 'nit', he comes to mind immediately.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I confess I don’t know much about that.

Once at a tournament, somebody asked me a question about Mike Sigel’s cues...
...I told him I didn’t know...hadn’t spoke to him in years...
...he said “Whaddiya talkin’ about, you were just with him for at least half an hour.”....
....I said “Yeah, but I never got the chance to say anything.”...:eek:

Early 80s, Joss. Starting 1984, Meucci. Late 80s to early 90s, back to Joss. After that, his own make.

And, your experience with Mike is not unique.

All the best,
WW

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite players:
Mika Immonen
Shane Van Boening
Jayson Shaw
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Martin Gould, he might not be in the top 10, but he`s got heart!
When he`s not acting crazy or being too much of a douche, it`s still great to watch Earl Strickland play, great stroke, fast and fearless.
Having said that I generally don`t like douchbag players or loudmouth`s.
I also don`t like slow players, Peter Ebdon comes to mind... :)