Stolen league money

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A dollar bill has a flat area of 6.14 inches × 2.61 inches = 16.0254 square inches. The bill is 0.0043 inches thin. If you really need to know the volume of the dollar bill, then the volume is: 6.14 inches × 2.61 inches × 0.0043 inches = 0.06890922 cubic inches. By 19,000 individual $1 bills: 1,309.27518 cubic inches. Divide by 12 to get cubic feet. 109.106265 Cubic feet.

For the number of bills you use: approximately 139 cubic inches. Converted to feet: 11 cubic feet.

A small safe like you buy at Walmart will not do, no matter how you divide the bills.

LOL. Divide by 12. Good one.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty ridiculous breakdown considering OP says he had $750 coming. I'd guess there were others getting amounts in the lower hundreds so it would make more sense to have more hundreds and fifties. And you wouldn't need more than a maximum number of 5s equal to the number of people being paid out. Similarly with 10s.

The only thing sillier than a made up distribution of bills is the whole notion of finding the volume of the money, relating it to the size of the safe and - remind me again, WHAT is the point of this exercise?

I hope this helps the investigation into how bi the safe should be.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Pretty ridiculous breakdown considering OP says he had $750 coming. I'd guess there were others getting amounts in the lower hundreds so it would make more sense to have more hundreds and fifties. And you wouldn't need more than a maximum number of 5s equal to the number of people being paid out. Similarly with 10s.

The only thing sillier than a made up distribution of bills is the whole notion of finding the volume of the money, relating it to the size of the safe and - remind me again, WHAT is the point of this exercise?
You missed the sequence of events!

I first got the idea that the story did not make sense given small safe and large volume of bills.

Another veteran member with experience gave realistic figures regarding what a BCAPL takes in!

I used his percentages and what you got was a educated estimate of the quantity of bills in the safe...

Beyond that bit of insight, members are free to extrapolate what they will! My comment is totally food for thought!!!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a room owner steal 8k of our 10ball break,and run pot. He liked to gamble on poker. He said somebody stole business checks and He used our cash to cover expenses...then announced he was closing. Kinda like this guy cancelling the league banquet.

If I'm on the jury this guy is guilty.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The guy was simply re-distributing the weekly league due inputs.
Teams (typically) pay $10 per player, per week, with 5 per team ($50 per team).
The weekly envelop input from a team from the wallet of players once change is made is at a minimum two $20 bills and a $10. More often, it is single 20 and a mixture 10s 5s and 1s.
Now add up the vast mixtures to arrive at $19k... its a mess not really a small safe mess, but hey, the safe was stolen too so we don't know the size.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Divide by 12. Good one.

Yeah. Stupid mistake on my part. I'll admit that. I knew to cube the twelve, then divide. But I just couldn't math at that time.

Because you are the one claiming this constitutes a free consultation, whereas in reality a class action case where the total loss was $19,000 won't get past the phone screen to an actual consultation.

Between looking for a law firm that offers free consultations on class action suits (I guess laughing hilariously at the very notion could be called a 'free consultation' and doing bad math to find the unknowable volume of the money, you sure seem invested in the more ridiculous aspects of this situation.

I just don't understand why someone would let that kind of money go without doing something about it. The OP said he was owed $750. That's almost a house payment. Aside from that, there has been no follow up with the police. No contact of a lawyer, personal or otherwise. And the only real suggestion here is to wuss up, and accept the loss? Really? If you all have that much extra lying around, I'm taking donations. That's all I'm saying.

Also, the fact that the OP hasn't done these things, and doesn't follow up makes me wonder if this is legit. How do I know?

No offense but that's the wrong question. The question should be how big does the safe need to be to prevent someone from stealing the safe. I have documents which would be a pain in the ass to replace in a small fireproof safe but I would never keep a significant amount of cash in it.

If it's true the son's girlfriend had stolen from him before why would he keep that much cash in the house?

The only reason I brought up the case size was because it seemed to me that people were debating how big the safe would need to be to accommodate that amount of cash is all.

No offense, but it really seems like you’re taking this more personally than anyone. So ask yourself “why all the drama”.

I just wouldn't let it go. And frankly, it just seems frivolous to come here and vent. At least tell us the name of the place. Maybe spare a couple other people from getting burned?

With all the turds you've dropped in this thread, I find you about the last one to criticize others' input.

Though the picture below deals with a vastly different topic, the comment (in general) applies rather well to this thread, and the point I was hoping to convey.

Attachments

• Trump.jpg
    Trump.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 285

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But reality has to factor in.

How much effort should one put into what will likely be unsuccessful?

Now, add into that the fact the amount isn't of huge (monetary) concern TO THE INVOLVED PARTY.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But reality has to factor in.

How much effort should one put into what will likely be unsuccessful?

Now, add into that the fact the amount isn't of huge (monetary) concern TO THE INVOLVED PARTY.

The paperwork for small claims court is usually free. It seems complicated, but one could fill it out. The basics of this case are easily proven. The OP played. He won. He's owed money. There is no receipt of money. Simple. And almost a house payment. You could always let the others fend for themselves. Also, a small claims suit for one looks really good for the others.

And you can't say it would be unsuccessful until you've tried. Most of us couldn't walk, talk, or ride a bike at one point. All things extremely tricky for a one time infant.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The paperwork for small claims court is usually free. It seems complicated, but one could fill it out. The basics of this case are easily proven. The OP played. He won. He's owed money. There is no receipt of money. Simple. And almost a house payment. You could always let the others fend for themselves. Also, a small claims suit for one looks really good for the others.

And you can't say it would be unsuccessful until you've tried. Most of us couldn't walk, talk, or ride a bike at one point. All things extremely tricky for a one time infant.
We had a local player who won a promised trip to Vegas in APA Masters league. He received $600 bucks like happens to most winners. He sued the league operator successfully in small claims court, because $600 doesn't even cover airfare.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a local player who won a promised trip to Vegas in APA Masters league. He received $600 bucks like happens to most winners. He sued the league operator successfully in small claims court, because $600 doesn't even cover airfare.

And the OP isn't even getting the money he's owed. Like I said before, if this is the real deal, then I'd like to see him do something about it. It's all talk here.

row21097

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a silly picture. Silly, mostly because Schrödinger was using the Cat thought experiement only as an illustration to the shortcomings of the Copenhagen theory of Quantum mechanics. It was not a "theory" and "his" only in the respect that it was his commentary on a theory/interpretation made by others (Bohr and Heissenberg mainly).

Now I'll shut up and calculate.

You are correct. It was a thought experiment, but it has long since been validated: Quote from “The Quantum Enigma” : Perhaps the hardest to accept is the claim that your observation not only creates a present reality - but also creates a past appropriate to that reality”. The Copenhagen interpretation is no longer dominate.

I appreciate your response.

Bert

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
19000 = 190 x $100 bills
19000 = 380 x $50 bills
19000 = 950 x $20 bills
19000 = 1900 x $10 bills
19000 = 3800 x $5 bills

Point is no small safe could hold that kind of cash " physically"

Second, the money was given in small denominations!

Third, even a moron would notice that the safe was filling up and realize that this is a safety issue.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Clarity regarding the physical size of the cash:

It's not as cut and dry as you've written. There would likely be various denominations, not "3800 $5's".

One bank band of $100's alone is $2K.

Our league paid out over $15K in cash last season.

As the League Treasurer, I went to the bank the day before the banquet and withdrew the money (after doing a spreadsheet regarding denominations). Knowing what each team was getting, I divided that amount by the number of players on that team, and made equal amounts per player (if a 6 man team was due $250, I'd get 12 $20's and 10 $1's, etc, etc).

I walked out of the bank carrying over $15K in half a dozen bank envelopes (and that's only because I wanted the denominations separate until I got home and filled the prize cards with the cash).

If I really wanted to try and be slick about it, I could have fit the six envelopes in a mortgage folder so it looked like I wasn't carrying a bunch of cash.

Once I got home, that money went in the little suitcase style fire safe that then went inside the gun safe until the next day when prize envelopes were filled with the according denominations.

$19K isn't much more than $15K.

But I agree with the sentiment of your post, and that keeping the money in the safe over a long period of time like that was a safety issue.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, holy crap that was funny (hope that was a joke).

Second, just a small correction, daughter’s boyfriend.

Somewhat larger correction - daughter's deceased ex-boyfriend. And, as I suspected, the safe itself was stolen.

The question then becomes whether it was the daughter's deceased ex-boyfriend who was the thief. Did he assume room temperature before, during or after the most recent theft and how exactly did he become deceased?

I vaguely remember a story about a robbery years ago in the Rack in Detroit in which the person holding the cash was shot. Reportedly a few days later the guy who did the shooting was found deceased. Nobody knows nuthin. Nobody seen nuthin. Nobody heard nuthin. Nobody robbed the Rack anymore.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the OP isn't even getting the money he's owed. Like I said before, if this is the real deal, then I'd like to see him do something about it. It's all talk here.

It IS all talk here, that's what forums are for. What do you care if I do something about it or not? Just stop reading if it bothers you so much. Here are some facts to maybe help you understand exactly why I'm not pursuing anything:

Fact: It's less than half of my house payment, so stop using that analogy.

Fact: The guy (an aquaintance/borderline friend) has said he was going to make it right. Not sure how yet, but maybe I can give him a chance before suing him?

Fact: I sued an RV manufacturer a few years ago for selling me a defective unit. I hired a lawyer, expert witness, the works... Should have been a pretty easy case to win by all accounts. It took 3 years of paperwork, emails, mediations, emails, appeals, negotiations, more paperwork, blah, blah, blah... In the end I won, and found myself out of pocket about $8,000.

So please forgive me for not wanting to go through the legal system and spend that time, energy, and frustration to hopefully win what would amount to a new predator Z3 and a couple bottles of booze, which was exactly what I was going to buy with it. I actually already bought the shaft, so it's all good.

I can see you're pretty new here (at least this particular username is), I doubt you'll enjoy your time around here if you don't like "all talk".

Reactions: KRJ

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhat larger correction - daughter's deceased ex-boyfriend. And, as I suspected, the safe itself was stolen.

The question then becomes whether it was the daughter's deceased ex-boyfriend who was the thief. Did he assume room temperature before, during or after the most recent theft and how exactly did he become deceased?

I vaguely remember a story about a robbery years ago in the Rack in Detroit in which the person holding the cash was shot. Reportedly a few days later the guy who did the shooting was found deceased. Nobody knows nuthin. Nobody seen nuthin. Nobody heard nuthin. Nobody robbed the Rack anymore.

I never said he was dead, I have never met the daughter OR the boyfriend. I have heard from other league members that last season the boyfriend robbed the league manager for $6k worth of the prize money. Many people never heard about it because the manager replaced the stolen money with his own to ensure the players were paid.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I deal with people who have warrants in debt entered against them and the recovery % is in the single didjits.

Barely worth the paper, much less the effort.

Of course, the taxpayers fund me. I'd clean the parking lot too, if thhey asked. It'd be more effective use of my salary.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said he was dead, I have never met the daughter OR the boyfriend. I have heard from other league members that last season the boyfriend robbed the league manager for $6k worth of the prize money. Many people never heard about it because the manager replaced the stolen money with his own to ensure the players were paid.

No good deed goes unpunished. Brutal.

25k in a year. That is a helluva party.