Shane's mom needs the value of cues

SD mom

Registered
With Jewelry, guns... and now cues... they want me to itemize, which now they have this picture I posted. Then anything valued over $2500 they want appraised or I think with the cues they will be satisfied with a knowledgeable opinion. I posted this today in hopes of getting ideas on which ones are over 2500. In my opinion, 4 of them are. And then I need to find out who is going to have the best educated guess of value. Dan Janes is going to get back to me on the two Joss cues and may have an opinion on the others. The one that I think is the most difficult is the Palmer. And then trying to figure in Shane playing and winning with any of them.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
i didnt want to mention anyone in case i left someone out
but
timi
for insurance purposes you need a letter from a company like this
fwiw
you can sometimes get a rider to your home owner insurance for "collectibles"
for a maximum amount
the cues should be under that umbrella
check with your insurance company first
you still would need pics and an appraisal of the cues
fwiw again
i dont think if you copy and paste a value from one of the posters in your thread
your insurance company will accept it
no dis on my fellow azb members
the insurance companies dont know how smart you all are ...:)

Sound advice! I agree with the rough values ‘ideologist’ quoted in the 2nd reply as “on the surface” market values for those cues but the ones he played with and used, especially for any length of time...those imo are worth more, likely substantially more, from a collectible point of view.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Do yourself a favor and contact either Jamie at newcues4you or Bill at Cornerstone custom cues. They are very big cue dealers with well established businesses. I don't think an insurance company would have any issue with something in writing from either.

Agree. If these are genuine, and I believe they are, contact cue dealers, and ignore the low ball prices you are being quoted.

All the best,
WW

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cues would go on a Personal Articles Policy, but Shane’s mother already knows that since she mentioned that she has insurance on jewelry and guns. They can be selective, though. I’ve covered and claimed on jewelry and a variety of other items with zero deductible, but they won’t cover any of my pens (least expensive was $1000).

I have no idea who the insurance would consider an expert on a collectible like that. There is no problem with replacement value coverage with something you can go out and purchase, and yes, you need a written appraisal for many items. For collectibles like these cues, appraisal values will vary widely. If the Cuemaker provides the appraisal it will carry more weight, but it’s still difficult to value when it was used to win a National or World Championship.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon started in 1981. It looks like it could be an 80s model. Tournaments he played with each cue could make a difference to some people.

It is a nice collection. Ideologist gave fair values for insurance purposes I believe.

Schon appears to be an R2 from the Runde era. Since it's the cue Van Boening won his first tournament with it would add to the value for a collector.

As good as those cues play it's not a cue someone would take to a pool hall. It would be in a display case with a letter of authentication signed by Shane Van Boening. If there was an old picture of him playing with the cue that would add to the value.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way OP, you are the envy of every parent who hit a pool ball! You were a competitive pool player who raised the GOAT! Thanks for doing such a fantastic job at raising a champion of a player and a man.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Which is why insurance isnt something you'd want to have to pay for. Really, those are beyond value. You will need to come to an agreed value for the policy and as they are irreplaceable, it will be high...and so will the premium, as they are high scam risk.

So let's say you purchase a policy and the cues go missing? So you get 20-50k. You are still out the cues, and if you have $ to burn for a policy, that isnt a lot of $.

Physical protection is the better call, imo.

Premiums are not high. You have to go through a broker who deals n Collectibles. I have $85k for $275 plus $100 broker fee anually. (Art Insurance Now ... Mary Anzalone). Anything over 15k has to have a detailed description but no appraisals are necessary.

Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think one factor affecting the premium relates to the mobility of the pieces. I have around $50K for a couple of my wife’s better pieces of jewelry, and that runs $700 per year for zero deductible.

Cues would likely be more expensive to insure that art pieces, unless framed in a display case and treated as art (which they could be).

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
i think one factor affecting the premium relates to the mobility of the pieces. I have around $50K for a couple of my wife’s better pieces of jewelry, and that runs $700 per year for zero deductible.

Cues would likely be more expensive to insure that art pieces, unless framed in a display case and treated as art (which they could be).

Not my experience. Read my post above yours. Mine covers all perils including those happening in travel and shipping with any courier.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SDmom, it's an honor to have you post "anything".

As for the insurance value of the cues in question there is no doubt most in this thread have underestimated the value of most of those cues.

With Shane' s cues, the value will climb with time just as his achievements did.

I'm a HUGE fan of Shane.

Don't know if your willing/trying to sell, just be extremely careful of whom you take advice from about his cues.

I'm sure someone will send you a PM with contact info to help you.

Again, a pleasure to read your post and see one of the greatest poolplayers cues that ever held a stick.

Rake

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Shane's mom. It's spelled "Schön", it means beautiful in German. Getting the name right might be you know, important.

Julian

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
I know that Shane was offered 10K for his first Cuetec cue that he won many of his tournaments.

I paid a premium for Rodney Morris's Szamboti that he won the US Open 9 ball and many other tournaments.

It would be very difficult to put exact values on these cues. I agree with others that the best protection is a safe in an undisclosed location that is bolted to the floor.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon appears to be an R2 from the Runde era. Since it's the cue Van Boening won his first tournament with it would add to the value for a collector.

As good as those cues play it's not a cue someone would take to a pool hall. It would be in a display case with a letter of authentication signed by Shane Van Boening. If there was an old picture of him playing with the cue that would add to the value.

Here are some pics of Shane playing with the Schon R2

Attachments

• BA5B29B2-A7D0-4E66-95EE-73002C561970.jpeg
    BA5B29B2-A7D0-4E66-95EE-73002C561970.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 529
  • 12A2A097-A711-4DB7-9485-01981B0D863C.jpg
    12A2A097-A711-4DB7-9485-01981B0D863C.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 528
  • 139E411A-15EF-49A9-A744-C3A88398C7DC.jpeg
    139E411A-15EF-49A9-A744-C3A88398C7DC.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 532

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over time you will spend more on policy premiums than you would making a one time investment into a safe to store them, assuming that they will stay in the safe and locked up. If you decide to go that route, as mentioned earlier, make sure that the safe is installed properly (bolted to a concrete slab/floor from the inside of the safe). And don't think about just physical protection against theft, fire/water damage also need to be taken into consideration. With water, you should generally not have to worry about not being able to pull them out in time, but fire is a different story and obviously the heat will do wonders to a cue unprotected. You won't want to buy just any safe from a sporting goods store. It would need to be a fire safe, and they don't come cheap. I bought one that holds 12 guns, and it was $2900 2 years ago, delivered and installed.

Relative to the value of the cues individually, those noted earlier in this thread seem about right (Meuccis would be a little less than noted IMO), but that is for the cues as average cues. Cues with play time in major tournaments, particularly tournaments won, will make them more valuable, and the number and actual tournament would even make a difference. An example would be the cue Earl Strickland used to run the 10 racks in the (Million dollar) tournament at CJ's back in the early 90's. Modern day players change cues like underwear so their appreciation in value may not grow like some of the earlier champions' cues, but they will appreciate with Shane's stuff. Provenance to get the added value will be everything to a collector when and if they ever come on the market. Replacement value for you and your family may be priceless.

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those cues are worth about 7k without having Shane's name attached to them. Documentation and proof of accomplishments with any one adds a significant premium.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Shane was offered 10K for his first Cuetec cue that he won many of his tournaments.

I paid a premium for Rodney Morris's Szamboti that he won the US Open 9 ball and many other tournaments.

It would be very difficult to put exact values on these cues. I agree with others that the best protection is a safe in an undisclosed location that is bolted to the floor.

He should have jumped all over that 10k ,,