RIP Jointed Cue

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it's a shame. I don't know much about ADA law, but I have heard of many businesses shut down because they were "not in compliance", and couldn't afford the "compliance". I have also heard that the ADA law is very powerful. I agree the system needs changing. I hate it when some people profit from other people's misery.

Federal Law> 10 Commandments.

Thou shall be aware.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it is typical.

The guy who calls someone out on something is the POS, while the person we like who owns the pool hall, who is breaking the law, is fine.

The lawsuit guy could very well be the most colossal asshole on the planet, driven by greed, willing to screw over his own mother for personal gain. A real scum bag asshole.

But that doesn't change the fact that the pool hall was not in compliance with the law. If you choose to operate a business, you comply with the laws on the books whether you agree with them or not, or you face the possibility of getting caught somewhere down the line. He got caught.

But lets forget all about the personal legal responsibility of the business owner and put the blame where it feels better for us.

Yes, it is VERY typical of todays world.

You must be a lawyer.

middleofnowhere

Registered
That is ignorant, unless you have an idea of the $ in and out of the place, as well as the actual violations.

Not really. If you were given say 5 years to come into complience you do a little at a time. spreading out the expense. In a pool room you usually cover a few tables at a time and the cost is absorbed into the monthly receipts. If you had to cover say 24 tables at once you would probably be under a financial strain. Managing your money is business 101.

Funny, something like that actually happened to a pool room where I live. The front had steps to get to the door. They said he had to build a ramp because there was a complaint. He built a legal ramp at the back door in the alley and it was approved. There was now wheelchair access right next to the the dumpster.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When they pass stuff like that there are provisions in the law for existing businesses.
To not put an un fair burden on the businesses there is almost always a grace period for the improvements to be done. Usually years.

The owner of the pool room I am sure has had many years to come into compliance and choose to do nothing. Now it is being dropped on him all at once. Regardless how it happened he has only himself to blame.

Spreading the costs over time (Years), would had not made them a problem at all. The cost is early absorbed. He made a very bad business decision way back not coming up to code and is now paying for it.

What a load of BS.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Your reply is typical. Ever hear of "grandfather clause"? The place has been in busines for 50 years long before the law was written and put into effect. Also, if you had googled as the op suggested, you would have seen 2 things:
1. Scott Johnson is a "serial filer". He has filed over 2000 lawsuits.
2. The place has a history of pool players in wheel chairs. Obviously they have been accommodating.

Scott Johnson is just a douche.
I doubt violations have any grandfather status. People have business setbacks all the time, lose leases and so on. Nothing is forever or promised to you. Maybe they should just bite the bullet and fix the place. In fact if it is in fact still a viable business that is what they will do.

If I lived in the area I would be very interested in buying the place and fix it. The owner would have to be an idiot to just walk away.

middleofnowhere

Registered
What a load of BS.

So you think the world owes this pool room owner something? If he is too big an idiot to have the balls to solve this problem, then turn the place over to someone who will. People have business setbacks all the time. Fires, robberies price increases, unexpected competition and so on, you F'n deal with it and stop crying about it.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Actually, Chuck is wrong. It is the duty of all American citizens to defy any unlawful piece of legislation. Compliance to all "laws" is not what we the people are to do re the govt's dictates.

This is America, not Russia.

Since there are no victims of the pool hall's actions, why should they suffer?

I have a friend who's been in a wheelchair for 50 years. He hates the ADA and knows they're full of only one thing: more power!

Jeff Livingston

Until the law is changed what can he do? Either way it's a closed up business

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you think the world owes this pool room owner something? If he is too big an idiot to have the balls to solve this problem, then turn the place over to someone who will. People have business setbacks all the time. Fires, robberies price increases, unexpected competition and so on, you F'n deal with it and stop crying about it.

You sound like a blood sucking attorney.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Spoken like a tue snowflake

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is stupid. Completely oblivious to the details of the business that would factor in to a determination as to fix, fight or run.

Seriously, I can't believe you and other have wasted the letters you did, espousing self applauded 'knowledge'.

Apologize to the alphabet for your negligent use of it.

Do it do it.
Not really. If you were given say 5 years to come into complience you do a little at a time. spreading out the expense. In a pool room you usually cover a few tables at a time and the cost is absorbed into the monthly receipts. If you had to cover say 24 tables at once you would probably be under a financial strain. Managing your money is business 101.

Funny, something like that actually happened to a pool room where I live. The front had steps to get to the door. They said he had to build a ramp because there was a complaint. He built a legal ramp at the back door in the alley and it was approved. There was now wheelchair access right next to the the dumpster.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt violations have any grandfather status. People have business setbacks all the time, lose leases and so on. Nothing is forever or promised to you. Maybe they should just bite the bullet and fix the place. In fact if it is in fact still a viable business that is what they will do.

If I lived in the area I would be very interested in buying the place and fix it. The owner would have to be an idiot to just walk away.

The way you defend this douche Scott Johnson, a known serial filer, one might think your name is...

Scott Johnson?

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Scott Johnson has been targeting businesses since 2004. He has filed over 2,000 similar lawsuits against various businesses in California. He is also known to have cronies who visit businesses on his behalf who report their findings to him so that he may file additional suits.

Scott doesn't just sue for $4,000 for each infraction... He sues for each time he claims to have visited your business per infraction. For example, if he sites 3, ADA compliance issues at $4,000 each and has visited your business five times, he will sue you five times that amount.

3 infractions x $4,000 = $12,000
5 times visited x $12,000 = $60,000
Plus the cost of fixing said infractions

The media is jumping on this story like a hawk because the ADA Compliance situation is has been an ongoing battle in the state legislature. In a way, you've got to blame the state of California for allowing these loopholes of the law to exist however, I also agree with the fact that WE as a people should NOT have to comply with every law because it is our duty to fight and resist any abuse of power.

Some related stories:

Dianne Feinstein in 2012: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cal...senate-calling-on-him-to-adopt-legislati.html

An ADA Cheat Sheet for California Businesses: http://buildingincalifornia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ADA-InspectionsChecklist.pdf

Some propaganda by a private to deter businesses from Non Compliance and advertise for contract work: https://www.burnhamnationwide.com/final-review-blog/why-california-ada-requirements-cant-be-ignored

A more recent article from The Patriot Post
http://patriotpost.us/articles/57500-the-ada-is-a-serial-litigators-dream

Scott Johnson gets published in July:
https://www.losaltosonline.com/news...gious-lawyer-for-not-complying-with-ada-rules

An attempt at Reform: https://rewire.news/article/2017/05/30/americans-disabilities-act-attack-congress/

Bill H.R. 620 passed in the House and is waiting to become LAW: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/620/all-info

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott Johnson has been targeting businesses since 2004. He has filed over 2,000 similar lawsuits against various businesses in California. He is also known to have cronies who visit businesses on his behalf who report their findings to him so that he may file additional suits.

Scott doesn't just sue for $4,000 for each infraction... He sues for each time he claims to have visited your business per infraction. For example, if he sites 3, ADA compliance issues at $4,000 each and has visited your business five times, he will sue you five times that amount.

3 infractions x $4,000 = $12,000
5 times visited x $12,000 = $60,000
Plus the cost of fixing said infractions

The media is jumping on this story like a hawk because the ADA Compliance situation is has been an ongoing battle in the state legislature. In a way, you've got to blame the state of California for allowing these loopholes of the law to exist however, I also agree with the fact that WE as a people should NOT have to comply with every law because it is our duty to fight and resist any abuse of power.

Some related stories:

Dianne Feinstein in 2012: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cal...senate-calling-on-him-to-adopt-legislati.html

An ADA Cheat Sheet for California Businesses: http://buildingincalifornia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ADA-InspectionsChecklist.pdf

Some propaganda by a private to deter businesses from Non Compliance and advertise for contract work: https://www.burnhamnationwide.com/final-review-blog/why-california-ada-requirements-cant-be-ignored

A more recent article from The Patriot Post
http://patriotpost.us/articles/57500-the-ada-is-a-serial-litigators-dream

Scott Johnson gets published in July:
https://www.losaltosonline.com/news...gious-lawyer-for-not-complying-with-ada-rules

An attempt at Reform: https://rewire.news/article/2017/05/30/americans-disabilities-act-attack-congress/

Bill H.R. 620 passed in the House and is waiting to become LAW: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/620/all-info

That's exactly the way it worked! They had four guys visit my poolroom on four occasions and each of them sued for $16,000 (four times $4,000), for a total of $64,000! They tried to settle early on at a mediation conference for $32,000 and we refused, preferring instead to go to trial, which is not what they want to happen. The day before the trial they messaged my attorney and asked for $16,000 to settle. I could either settle or pay my attorney $6,000 to fight it, unsure about the outcome. I gambled on my attorney who told me he had a plan.

My attorney was a triple smart guy and tripped up all four of the plaintiffs on cross examination. They couldn't remember what they ordered (food and drinks) while they were there, and we had all the receipts. They couldn't remember much of anything about their four visits to my poolroom. And when my attorney laid the bombshell on the judge about all the similar filings these same guys had made up and down the West Coast and Southwest (he read off a list of over one hundred cases) until the judge said, "That's enough! I get the picture."

The court went into recess after that for lunch and the judge said he would have his decision later that day. Two hours later he called us all back into the courtroom. He laid into the scamming lawyer behind all this and told him if he ever sees him in court again, he's going to jail for filing frivolous lawsuits. He added that he will inform all the courts in Los Angeles County to look out for him. Then he ruled in our favor 100% and made the guy pay the court costs of several hundred dollars. My attorney asked for reasonable attorney fees but the judge denied that. I had to pay him $6,000, but it was worth it for a job well done.

Outside the courtroom, the four paid assholes who tried to pull this stunt on me were congregated together with the lawyer. They got nothing for their efforts and looked pretty unhappy. I couldn't help myself and walked by them and said (loudly), "Have a nice day.....assholes!" No one said boo to me. I would have liked it if one of them had approached me. I was extremely pissed at the time and would have probably gone for the throat. Yes, I did feel a degree of hatred for all of them at that moment. They put me through months of aggravation and thousands of dollars defending myself and my poolroom. :angry:

P.S. The bottom line is that Murphy (the owner of the poolroom) should hire an attorney and fight these guys in court. That's his best chance to prevail and save his business..

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly the way it worked! They had four guys visit my poolroom on four occasions and each of them sued for $16,000 (four times $4,000), for a total of $64,000! They tried to settle early on at a mediation conference for $32,000 and we refused, preferring instead to go to trial, which is not what they want to happen. The day before the trial they messaged my attorney and asked for $16,000 to settle. I could either settle or pay my attorney $6,000 to fight it, unsure about the outcome. I gambled on my attorney who told me he had a plan.

My attorney was a triple smart guy and tripped up all four of the plaintiffs on cross examination. They couldn't remember what they ordered (food and drinks) while they were there, and we had all the receipts. They couldn't remember much of anything about their four visits to my poolroom. And when my attorney laid the bombshell on the judge about all the similar filings these same guys had made up and down the West Coast and Southwest (he read off a list of over one hundred cases) until the judge said, "That's enough! I get the picture."

The court went into recess after that for lunch and the judge said he would have his decision later that day. Two hours later he called us all back into the courtroom. He laid into the scamming lawyer behind all this and told him if he ever sees him in court again, he's going to jail for filing frivolous lawsuits. He added that he will inform all the courts in Los Angeles County to look out for him. Then he ruled in our favor 100% and made the guy pay the court costs of several hundred dollars. My attorney asked for reasonable attorney fees but the judge denied that. I had to pay him $6,000, but it was worth it for a job well done.

Outside the courtroom, the four paid assholes who tried to pull this stunt on me were congregated together with the lawyer. They got nothing for their efforts and looked pretty unhappy. I couldn't help myself and walked by them and said (loudly), "Have a nice day.....assholes!" No one said boo to me. I would have liked it if one of them had approached me. I was extremely pissed at the time and would have probably gone for the throat. Yes, I did feel a degree of hatred for all of them at that moment. They put me through months of aggravation and thousands of dollars defending myself and my poolroom. :angry:

P.S. The bottom line is that Murphy (the owner of the poolroom) should hire an attorney and fight these guys in court. That's his best chance to prevail and save his business..

I agree completely. Set up a gofundme for legal fees to fight it.

Just as big a POS as the patent trolls and photo use trolls they want just want to settle and will scramble for the shadows as soon as you bring a big enough flashlight.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
According to this California law firms site there is no grandfather clause.

https://www.karlinlaw.com/blog/2017/08/what-is-the-grandfather-clause-re-ada-compliance.shtml

It is a shame really, and hard to believe that with this guy going around filing as many lawsuits as he has that nothing has been done.

Your reply is typical. Ever hear of "grandfather clause"? The place has been in busines for 50 years long before the law was written and put into effect. Also, if you had googled as the op suggested, you would have seen 2 things:
1. Scott Johnson is a "serial filer". He has filed over 2000 lawsuits.
2. The place has a history of pool players in wheel chairs. Obviously they have been accommodating.

Scott Johnson is just a douche.

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand your point, but you're way off base here. The guy in question sued my friends business over ADA compliance because the sink in the bathroom was 3/4" too tall. Google him. I know you didn't, or you wouldn't be talking like this. He has a team of people who search for businesses out of compliance and run in with tape measures and cameras then run out. He's caused hundreds of small mom and pop businesses to close their doors. He is truly a piece of shit that abuses the system. Look it up.

Why not just NAIL a 3/4 plywood to the floor and call it a day?
$0.25 for the nails
$2.50 for the plywood.
$1.00 for any paint.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Why not just NAIL a 3/4 plywood to the floor and call it a day?
$0.25 for the nails
$2.50 for the plywood.
$1.00 for any paint.

+1

Yeah, I'll go along with that. If that had happened in the first place a few over anxious souls would probably not have jumped into a pool, to find, unfortunately, there was no water in it.

All the best,
WW