RIP Jointed Cue

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we can all agree that Scott Johnson is a terrible, and likely very unhappy, person. We know rather a lot about him personally, and that he has a team of attorneys and paralegals trained in his methods. He also has a lot of haters, from restaurant owners to news reporters to elected officials.

In the last 6 days I've heard way too many local threats and suggestions of attacking Mr. Johnson physically. It's not helpful. And it's not even the problem. The problem is the current owners want out as quickly and easily as possible, and there isn't much time. Again, it does make for an opportunity for someone (or several someones) who understands the value of the business goodwill for what has actually been a very successful business- both recently, and historically.

You seem to be in a fog.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may be that, the owner of the Jointed Cue does not own the property but merely has a leasehold interest.

If the owner had owned the property for the last 50 years and was prop. 13 on the taxes and with little debt, that would be one thing.

On the other hand, if he has been subject to escalating lease rates and also this savage expensive legal attack that called for large capital calls, he may not have the where with all to make the thing pencil.

I am really surprised that so many folks just want to throw a room owner to the dogs in California. Make no mistake we're running out of pool halls in the state.

Pool is on life support in California. The scumbag attorneys should go after the big corporations and leave the small proprietors alone.

But they just can't help themselves as they suffer from avarice, hubris and greed.

The metrics of the pool hall business at current lease rates in most California municipalities just don't work.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I am not mistaken the news show 60 minutes did an article on this guy a few years ago.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2. I thought I saw that the "team" has handicapped members maybe including Scott. That would give them standing.

I'm not a lawyer, but does simply being handicapped mean you necessarily have standing? "You honor. I move to dismiss because the plaintiff has a long history of abusing the ADA law as shown in exhibit A. It appears the plaintiff is running his own ADA compliance racket without a business license."

A scam is a scam and there is nothing requiring the legal system to turn off its BS detector and follow the law to the letter. I'm sure there is a legal term for basically using common sense while the letter of the law says something else, but I don't recall what that is.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may be that, the owner of the Jointed Cue does not own the property but merely has a leasehold interest.

If the owner had owned the property for the last 50 years and was prop. 13 on the taxes and with little debt, that would be one thing.

On the other hand, if he has been subject to escalating lease rates and also this savage expensive legal attack that called for large capital calls, he may not have the where with all to make the thing pencil.

I am really surprised that so many folks just want to throw a room owner to the dogs in California. Make no mistake we're running out of pool halls in the state.

Pool is on life support in California. The scumbag attorneys should go after the big corporations and leave the small proprietors alone.

But they just can't help themselves as they suffer from avarice, hubris and greed.

The metrics of the pool hall business at current lease rates in most California municipalities just don't work.

Big corporations fight back. Cowards like this aren’t looking for a fight.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like most well intended laws in this country the ADA has become unrealistic.

Under the ADA anybody who wants to bring their dog, cat or any animal to the pool hall, dinner or on a plane can do so. Just tell the business owner you require the animal as a service animal. As a business owner you cannot even question what task the animal performs. As long as the animal is house broken and is not aggressive, the business must permit it.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a lawyer, but does simply being handicapped mean you necessarily have standing? "You honor. I move to dismiss because the plaintiff has a long history of abusing the ADA law as shown in exhibit A. It appears the plaintiff is running his own ADA compliance racket without a business license."

A scam is a scam and there is nothing requiring the legal system to turn off its BS detector and follow the law to the letter. I'm sure there is a legal term for basically using common sense while the letter of the law says something else, but I don't recall what that is.

Not to be a sour@ss
But the word you seek is “unlikely”

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Jointed Cue owner should counter-sue for some blackmail, harassment, bribery to settle, et cetera.
Good luck with that one.
:rotflmao1:
Cartoon of Money Flying Away.jpg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know absolutely nothing about these types of laws, but was wondering if a place is a private club, if that means they can circumvent certain laws.

For example, in Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs, there are at least 3 pool halls I know of that allow smoking (even though the whole state is mostly smoking banned indoors if there are employees), by making the club private. They charge a small fee for membership (something like 1 to 20 dollars per year or per lifetime depending on the place). And everyone goes in there and smokes.

lawrence526

Registered
Jointed Cue closure

Sad to hear that bit of news, never been there but am not happy with pool room closures. I didn't know Terry but have one of his cues and had it validated with his son David. It's so ironic that we have so many pool players without what you would call national support for the game. Google old pool halls and see what fine establishments use to exist that had class and style. Hoping this gets resolved and the Jointed Cue reopens to better days, maybe this should be a national recognition factor and the community come together to find a way to fight for the pool world in the USA. Start a Go Fund account and get financial support, money talks you know.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
He that lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

ADA serial plaintiff probed by IRS, federal prosecutors in criminal probe :

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/04/28/ada-serial-plaintiff-probed-by-irs-federal-prosecutors-in-criminal-probe/

That link seems to be broken.

He must have hit some agent's favorite place.

What chaos we have in America nowadays. It takes a tax collector to stop a serial zoning exploiter. Maybe there can be a movie made about this?

Jeff Livingston

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That link seems to be broken.

He must have hit some agent's favorite place.

What chaos we have in America nowadays. It takes a tax collector to stop a serial zoning exploiter. Maybe there can be a movie made about this?

Wasn't it Jimmy Hoffa that got brought down on wire fraud and tax evasion?

By any means necessary.. this guy needs to burn.

KurtMHodges

Registered
I did look him up. The businesses were not in compliance. They have a legal obligation to do so, if not they are open to legal consequences as happened in this situation and the others.

Him being a piece of shit or not does not change that. Using people to take measurements and pictures does not change that. Him doing things you dont like does not change that.

The guys motivation (greed, being an asshole, or whatever) for doing so is not important. People are going to do what people are going to do. The room owner was in error by not ensuring his business was in compliance.

Blame is being shifted from the person who made the mistake to the person who called them on it. It might seem trivial in your mind, ADA requirements might seem unimportant to you. I dont know. But the facts of the matter are that the business was not in compliance, no matter who called them out on it or for whatever reason.

Rallying around the idea of the whistleblower being an asshole, or having a history of making legal complaints for monetary gain etc etc etc does not change the fact that the business was not in compliance.

Let me quess, you are a lawyer?

Last edited: