Pool in Costa Rica

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings from Costa Rica. I’m here for a few days on vacation and heard the distinctive sound of balls clacking against each other driving by and said to the gf let’s go play pool there is a pool hall here. The gf says no way, how can you possibly hear that? Ha ha

The place was open air, kind of like a balcony with a roof to protect from the elements, but no windows, and on the second floor. The equipment was junk. The cloth was at least 5 years old, with the nap completely work off. All of the house cues had slip on tip/ferrule combos. The balls were beat up pretty bad. The cushions were the softest I’ve ever felt. More like weatherstripping foam hardness rather than rubber hardness.

Nonetheless, I was super happy to be there. I asked a local to play, and he said why, you and your gf play instead. I said no, I want to play one of you. I said just for fun. He said we only play for money. I said ok, I’ll play for money. Then he said, no, we will play for fun. He said 8 ball. I kind of got lucky and ran the first game off of his break, including two banks. They must have thought I was a pro they all stopped their game to watch me.

Now that my opponent, Luis, knew that I could play, he asked if I wanted to play the Costa Rican version. I said absolutely. It’s about the same as 8 ball, but whomever has solids has to make the 1 in the designated side, and whoever has stripes has to make the 15 in the opposite designated side. The tables are marked specifically for this game (see pic). You can make them at any time during your run. The only qualification is they have to go in clean, no caroms, combos. The rest of the game plays like regular 8 ball.

The main table had a gambling game going on. I’d say everyone was a C player. Everyone was having a good time, talking and crowding the table while shooting. It was a really nice atmosphere to hang with the boys, imo.

A couple of pictures below. I’m posting from my phone so sorry if they are too big I can’t resize them without my computer. *edit: pics resized now that I'm on computer.

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8135.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other pics won’t post, including the closeup of the side pockets. I’ll post them in a few days when I’m back home.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know several people that live there and some that are from there.

Most of them have Luis as part of their name.

Luis is a VERY common name there.

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Have a good one,

Jeff

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sweet..thanks for sharing
must be fun finding pool in exotic locales
1 in one side and 15 in the other is how folks used to play 8 ball in usa- ?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings from Costa Rica. I’m here for a few days on vacation and heard the distinctive sound of balls clacking against each other driving by and said to the gf let’s go play pool there is a pool hall here. The gf says no way, how can you possibly hear that? Ha ha...

View attachment 5237

Oh, if only your powers could be used for good...

:lol:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great post. Fascinating to learn about the way pool is played in other countries.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, if only your powers could be used for good...

:lol:

The funny part was we were hiking in a rainforest earlier that day, and she got scared because she heard a large animal breathing. I didn't hear anything. She said I never hear anything. ha ha.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I lived in the dfw I met a guy from CostaRica who could play a little 8 ball.
He was a AmericanAirlines employee and traveled back and fourth quite a bit. He was 5'11" and about 230 lbs all muscle. He was funny as hell but drank too much beer and was dangerous.
One time after he came back from visiting his homeland he told of going to a remote village and playing pool. Seems it was 100% humidity and had a oversized mudball. He said I know I can beat these guys from the jungle so I bet it up. A little guy who doesnt weigh 120lbs plays me. I break make a ball and shoot a 2 ft shot straight in with draw. Man whitey never slowed down and followed the ball in. Little guy puts whitey in kitchen shoots a ball in far corner and draws whitey the length of the table. Knew I couldnt beat that guy. Said I played 3 games and couldnt draw the rock at all. His animated story telling had a bunch of us cracking up.

Airlines allowed guys to kite checks. He would kite bigger and bigger checks all the time.He was telling me what he was doing.Said the airlines were naive to allow this. He got in trouble for being drunk and fighting / tearing a place up. Kited a big check and wasnt around anymore.

Last edited: